The Car Thread

MadManMike

Yeah thats mine for sale when Farm fresh bought it, then imported over here around 2010-ish. The bloke who i bought it from ran out of money building a boat to live on so was keen to sell it so took my cheeky offer, didn't cost much more to be honest.

Looking at those pictures the only thing it's had is a gearbox rebuild, lumpy camshaft and then the new air install I fitted last year. Oh yeah and some bell ends stuck some gross mexican blanket over the rear bench for some reason, need to take that off! I've got the email of the guy from that advert via the fairlane Facebook pages so I'm gonna fire him an email and see if he has any other history on it. I've got some other bits but not much from it's life in the USA.

I knew straight away it was mine, there's a rusty dent on the o/s rear quater just by the rear lamp and gave it straight away. Plus it's still on 17/18 staggered Cragars for some reason. Not for much longer though..

Text the guy, he built the car in 2009 at a company called Kustom Coach Werks  (cringey as f**k)... he ran it for 2 years then sold to farm fresh, in that time he managed 20k miles going to shows and stuff across the states, he's sent me some pictures of it at Sema and stuff (not on show at Sema, just there) and a few at other cool places in America. He owns a VW resto garage in Colorado now building split screens. It's a shame he doesn't have any documents for it etc but the tales are cool.

Just ordered a new front beam for the Fairlane compromising of...

4pot 11"vented discs, rack and pinion steering, new hubs with 2" lowered spindles, tubular top an bottom control arms, proper air bag perches and shocks. Gotta wait around 8 weeks for the batch to build up then shipping from the states but it'll be worth the wait!

Gonna try and buy Granada rear discs and calipers so I can swap them all over at once. Tempted to use a wilwood pedal box so then I can fit a clutch pedal at the same time for the manual conversion that'll be coming next winter!

• Like 1

Hoping to 4 link the back end too in winter and go for a Ford 9inch rear axle if I can find one for the right money but I'm not too fussed if I don't get hold of one, the stock back axle/diff is good for around 450bhp providing your not running Mickey Thompson's and hitting 5k clutch drops. I just want to build a car that'll be capable of taking some reliable power in the future. A nicely built 289 and supercharger setup or something for mild power but not unusable.

It's funny, I was all set for selling this fairlane and making a tidy profit last Autumn now the issues are sorted. Since then I've realised to replace it with something as 'nice' would cost me far more then I'd get for it, it's a ridiculously solid car, I love the fact it's a 4door and it's had all the big bills paid for such as engine rebuild and trans rebuild. Now it's just a case of making it right and proper.

Yeah some kits, mainly the dearer end are nearly all bolt on minus welding the brackets to your axle.

I was watching a Heidts promo vid a few days ago where they just bolted in a fully independent rear end to a 67 Mustang. Admittedly some sections bolted to the chassis where they leaf shackles had come from but there was no spreader plates on the additional holes or extra reinforcing. Seemed proper sketchy to me!

I'd prefer a weld in setup to be honest, just seems more logical and less to worry about!