Mini's On The Trials Forum

Tom Booth

-Recaro rs/turbo seats

Damn good choice! I've got a set of '90 spec RS turbo seats in the Scirocco and they're awesome, pretty much everyone who gets in comments on them. The rest of the plans sound good too.

If anyone would be interested in my Mini, I'm going to be having to get rid of it sometime soon. If anyone wants it or any bits of it let me know. I can't really see it being much use to anyone as anything more than a parts donor. If anyone wants to come and get it they'd be welcome to it for basically scrap money. For anyone who can't remember, it's basically the outer skin of a clubman estate with some random bits of space-frame built inside it. No where near finished, and I'll be starting again from scratch when I've got a lock-up sorted after I've moved, but if anyone thinks they can make use of it, I'd love to see it go somewhere other than the scrap yard.

Edited by RobinJI

Damn good choice! I've got a set of '90 spec RS turbo seats in the Scirocco and they're awesome, pretty much everyone who gets in comments on them. The rest of the plans sound good too.

I have actually had some before, got them dirt cheap but pansied out on converting subframes at the time and got some other seats. They fit me so so comfy, loved them!

Shame to hear you might let the project go. Would you build a new one to a similar sort if plan? Can remember your cad work being insanely good.

Thanks, I'll be hoping to still build a car to the plans I've got, but they're what's had all the work plowed into them, the stuff I've actually done so-far in the metal would all be relatively easily re-done, and in fact changing plans mean I was going to re-do most of it anyway. As I'm moving soon, I figure it's probably easier to re-do the stuff I have done once I'm settled down, than it is to mess around transporting and storing what I've currently got.

The only thing is, I'm quite tempted not to build the designs under a Mini shell anymore, as much as I love Minis, I'm wondering about putting it all under some sort of classic British sports car, current favorite being a Lotus Europa.

To be honest dunc that heads the most worthwhile and cheapest quick power for a small bore, and in a 998 cams can be swapped with the engine in situ if you remove the cam follower covers on the back. Can get your hands on a 266/SW5 used for around 60notes and it'll be such a different car.

For extra gains get your mitts on a hif38 carb and rebuild it, better performance, breathing capabilities and you won't get fuel starvation on right hand bends :P

Wheeled the car out into the sun today. Did a few jobs like paint under the arches. Get some bits ready for welding and paint a few bits. Gave the garage a good tidy too.

null_zps0c61100c.jpg

Also won these on eBay, well chuffed! :D Not totally sure how I'm going to fit them yet though. I might just bolt them to the crossmember and make some sort of braketry for the rear.

null_zps7b929876.jpg

I basically need to borrow a welder from somewhere cause once I've done that I can really crack on.

Also not sure what to do with heads and stuff. I can get hold of a 12g295 that's had loads of work done to it but that's £150 and that's about my budget for go faster stuff at the moment. Also 12g940s seem to be a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

Anyway I'm quite chuffed with today's progress :)

If anyone would be interested in my Mini, I'm going to be having to get rid of it sometime soon. If anyone wants it or any bits of it let me know. I can't really see it being much use to anyone as anything more than a parts donor. If anyone wants to come and get it they'd be welcome to it for basically scrap money. For anyone who can't remember, it's basically the outer skin of a clubman estate with some random bits of space-frame built inside it. No where near finished, and I'll be starting again from scratch when I've got a lock-up sorted after I've moved, but if anyone thinks they can make use of it, I'd love to see it go somewhere other than the scrap yard.

Where are you based? I'd deffo be interested. Do you have any pictures?

Anyway I'm in love with this clubman, just hope I can scrape the cash up for it. :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1975-classic-mini-clubman-/121122662696

Been spending!

null_zpsbad0106b.jpg

Managed to get one of the seats in, but ran out of nuts and bolts to do the drivers seat too.

null_zps819dff4d.jpg

Got the engine steady bracket welded on, now this is on I can really get cracking putting the engine back together! :)

null_zps7acc7723.jpg

• Like 1

The seats are mega, got them both fitted in now, made a lot of progress the last couple of days! :) Crap picture though.

null_zpsd8531e34.jpg

Not a hole lot left to do really, I'm hoping to have it running by the end of the week. Bit worried about doing the static timing though as i've never done it before.

Guy down the road from me finally replied to my letter.

He basically said he has 2 minis a 850 and 1275, and that he'd be willing to let one go for an offer he cannot refuse.

This is incredibly frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been busy and been on holiday so not done much to mine.

Except today I got a few things done. I cleaned the tank out ready for fresh fuel, new fuel filter, fitted the rest of the exhaust. Bolted down the dizzy.

All that's really left Is to fit the carb properly and then fingers crossed it will fire up. Still a bit worries about the timing though.

Edited by Duncy H
  • Like 1