Mini's On The Trials Forum

Tom Booth

Yeah, liam did much worse than that to his bulkhead hitting the stub of a cut off post in a carpark in germany. Once he got back to the UK we sorted it in about 10 minutes with a porta-power braced against his roll cage. If you were more local I'd offer you the use of mine if you decide to do the work your self, but I'm completely the wrong end of the country, even uni in Oxford's bloody miles away from you. :(

I'd be checking very carefully that it hasn't pushed back the floor-pan behind that damage, and that the bulkhead around the upper subframe mount's straight still. Liam's was unusual because he actually hit the sump, rotating the bottom of the subframe back but not the top, so the damage was quite local, but unfortunately, with a higher impact like yours I'd be suspicious that it's damaged other areas too.

I'm not wanting to be all gloom and doom about it, I just don't want you to end up with a car that looks straight, but isn't, because there's already far too many of them out there. If it comes out as their fault (which is sounds like it should.) then it shouldn't really be your problem anyway, so you want to make extra sure it really is back as good as before the accident.

Ah right I think I remember reading about that now. I asked to other day of I could take any bits off and they weren't impressed at the idea so best to leave it.

Thanks for the offer. Once it's been assessed I'll have it taken to work and I'll probably strip all the front down and do it properly.

It's all fingers crossed really to hope no hiccups come up along the way.

Edited by Duncy H

I checked today and we've got one at work thanks for the offer tom :)

Well got rang by a lovely lass from the people that were going to pick my car up about a time to pick it up and got talking and she said wouldn't you rather someone come out to you and look at it? And I was so relieved cause i'd been trying to get them to do that but the insurance company couldn't understand what i was trying to make out. So pleased about that and i can be about when they look at it :) Also getting picked up from home tomorrow and then picking up a hire car.

Also everyone at work (I work at a kinda classic car body shop) was not pleased to see it like it when i showed them and said they'd do their best to help me get it back together in quick time so made a bit of progress today :)

Edit: I also worked out i will probably get payed for fixing my own car haha :dance:

Edited by Duncy H

....So pleased about that and i can be about when they look at it :) Also getting picked up from home tomorrow and then picking up a hire car....

That's great that they're looking at it at your house, but that sounds like they're still picking it up for some reason? I can't see why they'd need to take it anywhere if they're looking at it at your house anyway.

It sounds like everything should work out ok in the end, but it's still an inconvenience that could have been done without. On of my friends got rear ended on the way to uni the other day, but he's been offered an insurance pay out higher than the amount he was about to put the car for sale for, so everything's worked out ok in the end there. haha.

Sorry that read wrong, it's staying at my house. I am getting picked up by someone to be taken to get a hire car. That will probably be misery on wheels but at least it will get me around.

Haha hopefully it will. I'm not keen on ever letting mine go though, especially not to some munter to scrap.

Ah yeah, that makes sense. I did think it might just be the way it's written. :P Good news then.

Yeah, his was a 1.6 2002 five door Megane, so nothing worth being arsed about. I can absolutely see why you wouldn't want to get rid of yours. He's ended up with a Meriva as a courtesy car, I expect you'll get a Corsa, Fiesta or Polo.

Well I got....................... A cheverolet spark, in every single way it is awful, except the fact it moves. Never been in or around a worse car!

With the insurance company i seem to be getting absolutely nowhere!! I asked if someone can come to my house to inspect the car, they said yes, someone will call you in 48 hours. 5 days later i ring up and they say someone went to look at it half an hour ago, even though i was at home. They then went away and made a phonecall and now say they can't come to my house no more. So now i have to wait a further 48 hours for someone to ring me to book a time for it to be collected. Grrrrrrrrr I didn't want this to happen, but if it's the only way why didn't they say and I would have had it back by now and be fixing it. GRRRRR ANGRY :@

Well I rang them again and convinced them to come to my house and finally got it booked for Monday. Finally looks like something will be starting to happen!

I cleaned up the floor and stripped the nasty tarry sound proofing stuff. What do people reccomend? It doesn't have to be brilliant. Something that does as good a job as the last stuff would be fine?

Did a test fit of my brakes in the wheels and it's very tight. I don't know where any wheel weights are going to go if I need any. Actually, clip ons look like they'll be fine.

Also those are allegro CV's. I'll get some shafts machined when the time comes.

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

Edited by King C

Wheel weights don't fit between my Cooper 7.5s an revos, fell off after about half a mile.

I've got 3 wiring diagrams, a few hundred meters of thinwall in various colours an a shite load of terminals an solder. Looooong weekend ahead. Hopefully get the car completely ready for the engine, when I get bits back it can go in an we should be about there I think!

As good as yeah, I'm Keeping the charging/starting circuit as best I can but the rest of the looms been hacked an messed about with too much. Plus I can fit the lives an stuff for megajolt while I'm at it.

Just off into the garage to have a look at it now, wish me luck!

Yeah, all those shitting inline fuses an shared things will be gone. Fetching a new fusebox from Vehicle wiring products on monday and a relay board. Really looking foward to getting into it, the ignition setup was the daunting bit for me but that was preety simple to seperate out the loom.

Few ideas I've had to modernise it abit is to fit a 10minute timer relay to the rad fan, 15 minute timer relay onto the screen wash switch to spark the wipers. Going to hide the wiring as best I can too and run it down the outside of the inner wing an down the brace bar.

Took the servo out an old pedal box yesterday too, just dropped the yellow tag MC inplace, makes so much room! Should be better to work on now. Gonna try and get some money together for some alloy 4 pots thou, from what I've read the S 7.5's + yellow tag don't give too much power.

Mine's still sat in the garage waiting for an MOT!

Last on the road December 10th when we won a road rally in it.

Only needs an £8 brake pipe, and a few UNF nuts to bolt the front suspension back together and it's MOT ready, but I just don't have the time :(

Makes I sad