The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

Just read a Ken Rockwell review on the Tokina 100mm 2.8 and he describes it as "one of the best lenses ever used" so that certainly boosts my confidence!

Hmm.. I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt. Is it for a DX and FX body? Just out of curiosity what do you want to shoot with it?

I had the popular Tokina 11-16 2.8 for a while (obviously not referring to your needs), great glass for the money. Tokina make some great lenses and some shockers!

Edited by tryallmaster

I'd be using it on my D300S. Main use would be weddings, so fairly close shots. I currently use:

Sigma 10-20 for things like full venue shots, venue interiors.

Nikon 18-70 for the odd quick portrait.

Nikon 35 for proper couple shots and small groups.

Nikon 70-300 for everything else (Which this lens will kind of replace, as I intend to get more stuck in rather than hanging back and relying on the zoom.

I see, I agree the zooms can be a lazy approach to shots. I always find that when I use primes my shots are framed better and less cropping in post.

For your D300s I strongly recommend you checking out the Nikon 60mm 2.8 micro. It would work out to be 90mm and your body. Amazing lens with great detail, contrast and super sharp. I have used mine for a lot of portrait work as well as micro (macro in the Canon world). I think you can pick these up for a reasonable price. PLUS it has the nano coating which is a bonus for glare etc

At least try it next time in the camera shop :)

Edited by tryallmaster

I see, I agree the zooms can be a lazy approach to shots. I always find that when I use primes my shots are framed better and less cropping in post.

For your D300s I strongly recommend you checking out the Nikon 60mm 2.8 micro. It would work out to be 90mm and your body. Amazing lens with great detail, contrast and super sharp. I have used mine for a lot of portrait work as well as micro (macro in the Canon world). I think you can pick these up for a reasonable price. PLUS it has the nano coating which is a bonus for glare etc

At least try it next time in the camera shop :)

Cheers for the recommendation. I bought the 100mm anyway on eBay, we'll see what that's like and if need be I can get another one lol

Hmm.. I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt. Is it for a DX and FX body? Just out of curiosity what do you want to shoot with it?

I had the popular Tokina 11-16 2.8 for a while (obviously not referring to your needs), great glass for the money. Tokina make some great lenses and some shockers!

I have my eye on the Tokina. Very nice price indeed for the quality and especially the f2.8. There isn't really anything in its price range that offers the same quality and large aperture, so I feel like I should invest in one of these. Do you have any pics you have shot using it that I could see and why did you get rid of it?

Cheers.

I have my eye on the Tokina. Very nice price indeed for the quality and especially the f2.8. There isn't really anything in its price range that offers the same quality and large aperture, so I feel like I should invest in one of these. Do you have any pics you have shot using it that I could see and why did you get rid of it?

Cheers.

Hey, it's a fantastic lens, especially for trials pics / landscapes. At 16mm the distortion is very minimal and is pretty damn sharp in all corners. Also, the build quality is solid (what you should expect from a jap piece of glass). The colours it producers are vibrant and pop nicely.

I sold it because now I shoot with an FX body (D800). For wide angles I use the all rounder Nikon 24-70 2.8. Very pricey I know.

I had the Tokina for just over a year and sold it for 40 pounds less than I paid new. They retain their value really well if looked after.

I will post some pics up when I get back home in a couple of days :)

Highly recommended Lens!

I've started a media course and Im really getting into photography. I've been using the Canon 550D and 600D's at college but would like to get my own DSLR. I've been looking at the Canon's but they are out of my budget. Are there any DSLR's that are comparable spec but cheaper? Or should I stop being so tight and get a loan out like a proper student?

Any info is massively appreciated.

Cheers

Generally Canon and Nikon are "industry standard", so generally regarded as the best. I can't really comment on other brands as I've not used any others, but a few people I know have owned Sony Alphas and they seem alright - I'm sure someone on here will have more experience with them and will be able to guide you further!

Welcome to another expensive hobby ;)

• Like 1

Firstly what is your budget?

As said Canon/Nikon are the way to go if you can afford it. Never owned a Sony Alpha but they seem to be able to keep up with the lower/middle range of Canon/Nikon.

If you are unsure check out http://www.dpreview.com/ if they haven't reviewed it, it's probably not worth buying!

• Like 1

I've started a media course and Im really getting into photography. I've been using the Canon 550D and 600D's at college but would like to get my own DSLR. I've been looking at the Canon's but they are out of my budget. Are there any DSLR's that are comparable spec but cheaper? Or should I stop being so tight and get a loan out like a proper student?

Any info is massively appreciated.

Cheers

I would advise you to stick to Canon or Nikon. Maybe look into a second hand D3100. Great camera to start off with and very affordable. I was a student once, I realised that the loan alone was not going to pay my way. I got a job while studying full time to pay for my car, bikes, night outs etc. I am sure if you put some cash aside you would be able to have a sweet DSLR :)

Let us know what you go with. And yep.. Another expensive hobby :/

• Like 1

Cheers guys!

I don't want to pay much more than a couple of hundred notes if I can get away with it. Been looking at second hand D3100's and it looks like I should be able to pick one up for around that :)

Did a photography unit as my first assignment of the year. Heres a few pictures I took for it.

untitled1.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled4.jpg

These are the final images I submitted. The theme for the project was Fairy Tales. We had to take a story and adapt it. I put a modern spin on Cinderella. Im not happy with most of them, they looked so much better in my head. meh.

Cinderella1-Rags.jpg

Cinderella2-EvilStepmother.jpg

Cinderella3-FairyGodmother.jpg

Cinderella4-TheBall.jpg

Cinderella5-RushingHome.jpg

Cinderella6-Prince.jpg

I'm going to steal that idea.

Sorry, I mean take inspiration from it.

Seriously, that's a brilliant idea :)

Thanks Mike. It's Surprisingly fun too. Was thinking of trying it in slightly darker conditions with some lights in the background :)