The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly getting back into photog again. My Canon 1000D really doesn't cut it...

I have a few lens, nothing special. One is off an old b&w camera and I find it seems to bring out the most character in pictures, compared to the stock 18-55mm 1000d lens.

Do I go for new lens, or a new camera body?

I did photography for a few years at college so I'm not a complete noob but I still feel like one.

i would suggest glass over a new body. espically if you just have the standard kit lenes.

What lenes do you have and this may give us a better idea of what to upgrade.

what do you think is holding you back?

i am in the same situation actually as my 6 year old 450D is now feeling a little outdated since using a mates 7D recently.

edit: an old one from le mans last year. 450 struggled with focusing.

post-8878-0-45011800-1422961371_thumb.jp

Edited by Joe Aston

Slightly getting back into photog again. My Canon 1000D really doesn't cut it...

I have a few lens, nothing special. One is off an old b&w camera and I find it seems to bring out the most character in pictures, compared to the stock 18-55mm 1000d lens.

Do I go for new lens, or a new camera body?

I did photography for a few years at college so I'm not a complete noob but I still feel like one.

I still look back at photos I took in 2006 with my Nikon D50 and, despite me hardly being a proficient user of it, the image quality wasn't bad. Sure, with less settings and options on the camera you're a bit limited, but 1000D still allows for a ton of possibility. I'm sure a lot of us have had that (frankly quite insulting) response to showing a half decent photo to someone of "Oh nice, what camera do you have?". We like to blame our kit for things, and others like to assume that it's the camera does the work, and it's true that better kit in the hands of the right person can produce a better image, but the 'entry level' gear still allows for a lot of learning. I keep thinking it'd be nice to do an experimece, take a D40 and a D4, go on some shoots with the same lenses and find out what it's like to compare. If I can get my D50 back from wherever my ex-girlfriend is these days, I might compare it to my D3, shot for shot...

How cropped is the photo? Also were you using a continuous focus mode? I keep thinking it'd be good to master manual focus, but it's never something I've given much time to.

Took some photos while I was in Barca with Ali last week, including one of a hippy hop which I've wanted to try and do for a while now. Slightly boarded the fail bus by not really separating his bars from the metal rail, but that was sort of a compromise with getting his hands/feet to look clear of the bar too due to the way he was going over it. </excuses>

hippy_hop.jpg

Edit: Bonus other photo from a frankly ridiculous spot:

Ali_Tuck.jpg

• Like 3

i would suggest glass over a new body. espically if you just have the standard kit lenes.

What lenes do you have and this may give us a better idea of what to upgrade.

what do you think is holding you back?

i am in the same situation actually as my 6 year old 450D is now feeling a little outdated since using a mates 7D recently.

attachicon.gif_MG_1121.jpg

Today i did some photography for my sisters business, and found a feature on my camera that lets you do a 10x zoom within an image then manually focus the lens and then go back to normal zoom. Bit of a game changer this, will probably stick to my body for a bit longer now, but desperately need new lens.

Just some 88mm-300mm zoom lens, standard stock lens, and another which I believe is 18-55mm lens from an old black&white canon which (may just be me) seems to give a more real/vintage image.

Today i did some photography for my sisters business, and found a feature on my camera that lets you do a 10x zoom within an image then manually focus the lens and then go back to normal zoom.

I dropped one of my cameras last week and dented the body in so I can't use that button any more. Sucks!

That button should - assuming it's like the 550D - allow you to select a specific focussing point when you're using autofocus too, by the way.

I dropped one of my cameras last week and dented the body in so I can't use that button any more. Sucks!

That button should - assuming it's like the 550D - allow you to select a specific focussing point when you're using autofocus too, by the way.

Ah no way! Now I've found it I really couldn't see how I did without.

That's cool nice heads up :) Can only really see myself using autofocus for the easier-happy snappy pictures now. Any lens out there that's recommended then?

I've also heard that better lens > better body. I probably enjoy landscape photography the most if that helps.

It's already been said but if I could change one thing about my camera history and that would be get the lens first. I wish I'd bought a second hand full frame camera and some awesome lens but instead I took the long route of 450d, 40d, 7d, 5d mkii and now 5d mkiii. Lens choice followed slowly.

Would have been better going 450d, then an old 5d mki and then get the lens I wanted.

I also agree, lens makes most difference. Speaking of that I've got to decide what gear I'm taking with me to Canada, going for about 4 months and need to decide what lenses to take. I'll be taking a 7d out (looked into upgrading to mk2 but not sure it's worth it) and have the option to take out with me a 50mm 1.8, 17-55 2.8 is, 10-22 3.5-4.5, and a cheapo 29mm pentacon 2.8. My favourite lens is my dad's 70-200mm 2.8 is lens but he won't let me take it out with me :( I'm really unsure what to do, purchase a variant of the 70-200 for myself and or trade some lenses in against it or stick to my guns or upgrade to a 7d mk2? Any advice? Bearing in mind when I come back I'll have access again to my dad's 70-200mm.

Saying all that I captured this on a 29mm full manual pentacon lens I picked up for £15 :) It was incredibly dark hence the noise/grain.

p5pb11878385.jpg

• Like 1

I also agree, lens makes most difference. Speaking of that I've got to decide what gear I'm taking with me to Canada, going for about 4 months and need to decide what lenses to take. I'll be taking a 7d out (looked into upgrading to mk2 but not sure it's worth it) and have the option to take out with me a 50mm 1.8, 17-55 2.8 is, 10-22 3.5-4.5, and a cheapo 29mm pentacon 2.8. My favourite lens is my dad's 70-200mm 2.8 is lens but he won't let me take it out with me :(

I'd take the 50mm, 17-55 2.8 and as mentioned pick up a 70-200 f4. Still a fantastic lens and I'd bet you'd get one for £400.

Any reason you'd go for the 7d mii and not something full frame? Also a side option would be scrap the 17-55 and the 70-200. Pick up a 35mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.8. Both a good price and be way better than the 17-55. The 85 is a beast lens.

Edited by DrEvil270183

Reason being going for a 70-200 is that I want to shoot some wildlife while I'm out there too as well as lots of riding. Reason for no full frame is I shoot mostly riding so like the the higher frame rate of the 7d.

85mm is a good shout anyway just done a bit of reading up on it cheers.

i have also been looking at something in the 70-200 range im unsure on what to go for though.

canon 70-200 f4 or a second hand sigma 70-200 2.8?

both i beleive can be picked up for a similar sort of money. im swaying towards the sigma due to it being f2.8 over f4 with me shooting a lot of sport and motor sports i would like the faster option.

i havent handled either lens so any feedback anyone has would be great thanks.

I've not handled the Sigma but I'm guessing it's in the EX range? Even so I never really liked the quality/finish on Sigma lenses, so now I only buy Nikon (obviously if I had Canon equipment, I would buy Canon lenses instead).

Personally in your situation I would buy the Canon for that reason, or buy a good secondhand 2.8, which is what I did. Mine was under £1000 (Nikon equivalent) and absolutely mint, had been owned by a trainspotter I think. No issues with it.

Cheers yes it is the ex range.

i have a 18-50 2.8 sigma and i love it, its taken some knocks and its fine i do tend to knock things around a bit.

saying this i have never handled any L series glass, from what ive read it will be a real step up. i cant really justify the price of a canon 2.8 its nearly twice the price of a second hand sigma or a brand new F4 so ive ruled that option out for the time being.

i have also been looking at something in the 70-200 range im unsure on what to go for though.

canon 70-200 f4 or a second hand sigma 70-200 2.8?

both i beleive can be picked up for a similar sort of money. im swaying towards the sigma due to it being f2.8 over f4 with me shooting a lot of sport and motor sports i would like the faster option.

i havent handled either lens so any feedback anyone has would be great thanks.

Friend of mine had that Sigma, it's terrible. You'd have to stop it down to f/8 to get anywhere remotely near sharp and even then it wasn't as good as other lenses. I'd say get the Canon.

• Like 1