The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

Great shots, makes me think of the kind of terrain that would be in star wars.

I've been in whistler a few weeks now, not been using the camera a whole lot, mainly cause I'm too busy riding or because I feel outdone by others and their more capable cameras. I seem to be the one coming up with the ideas for shots and then I seem to either be being copied or outdone by the better capabilities of their cameras, anyone else had that before?

Anyway here's a few of mine so far.

11312960_10153134673087935_5183241706829

11393271_10153156885302935_6930679285052

11402280_10153160154227935_5393296389058

11201126_10153164159542935_4869385542025

11415449_10153166486147935_4922183467678

10636690_10153180767312935_1859285694336

EDIT: I'm hoping to get a banging deal on a 5d mk iii when I visit Vancouver in a few weeks time :)

Edited by Duncy H
  • Like 2

Mr Harrison, you're living my current dream.

Advice/question:

I'm looking for a wide angle lens, eos fit in the low teens range. Going to be using it on my 7d (which hasn't seen much use recently due to me some how ending up with just a 50mm 1.8)

Any advice? I want to film STUNTS, interviews and I've been asked to shoot some apartments for advertising so it's needed. I'm willing to go up to around £380

THANKS

Advice/question:

I'm looking for a wide angle lens, eos fit in the low teens range. Going to be using it on my 7d (which hasn't seen much use recently due to me some how ending up with just a 50mm 1.8)

Any advice? I want to film STUNTS, interviews and I've been asked to shoot some apartments for advertising so it's needed. I'm willing to go up to around £380

THANKS

Id go with the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8. Great build quality to match the 7D and Constant 2.8 (will be handy for interior interviews)

I've been in whistler a few weeks now, not been using the camera a whole lot, mainly cause I'm too busy riding or because I feel outdone by others and their more capable cameras. I seem to be the one coming up with the ideas for shots and then I seem to either be being copied or outdone by the better capabilities of their cameras, anyone else had that before?

I'd recommend a long lens if you can get hold of one. I'm going to Morzine next month and whilst I probably won't shoot much either (I will be too busy riding too) the lens I'll use most will be a 70-200.

EDIT: I'm hoping to get a banging deal on a 5d mk iii when I visit Vancouver in a few weeks time :)

Great place whistler, need to go back. Have you tried the ziplines? If so what dya think. If not why the hell not!?

Advice/question:

THANKS

definitely the tokina 11-16 though, brilliant lens. I happen to have one too if you are interested in buying one Edited by max-t

Duncy H, are you with a guy called Ant? I've ridden Langsett with him a few times. Know him through another guy called Kenny. Small world and all that if it is.

I am indeed, actually sharing a house with him. By kenny do you mean Kenny Wilson? I know him too, small small world.

Great place whistler, need to go back. Have you tried the ziplines? If so what dya think. If not why the hell not!?

definitely the tokina 11-16 though, brilliant lens. I happen to have one too if you are interested in buying one

We've not done the ziplines yet, going to have to at some point. Apparently they're building a crazy zipline that'll bridge the valley between Backcomb and Whistler mountain. Sounds crazy.

I'd recommend a long lens if you can get hold of one. I'm going to Morzine next month and whilst I probably won't shoot much either (I will be too busy riding too) the lens I'll use most will be a 70-200.

I do need a longer lens. Max I have at the moment is 55mm. A pal of mine has an f4 70-200 I can borrow but he leaves soon. I was going to purchase one myself but when I return home my dad has an f2.8 is 70-200 so it would then become redundant. I was thinking of purchasing something like a 100mm f2 with the 5d mk iii.

Edited by Duncy H

8238P.jpg

Hot damn son. F#&king awesome.

Has anyone had a shot of the new Tamron 15-30?

Just got one a few days ago, only had a chance to test it out in my flat so far. Got a wedding on the weekend and hopefully some time next week to put it through it's paces, I'll report back.

Get the Canon 135L f2. It's an amazing lens, I love it and it's not a bad price for what it is. Way better than the 100mm.

I'd absolutely love one but it is likely out of my budget. All depends if I can find any decent second hand deals when I visit Vancouver. All Canadian shop websites are pretty naff so it's hard to get a good idea of what's to be had out there.

A couple I shot yesterday. I have some very big shots/lines lined up with some guys out here, can't wait to shoot them.

p5pb12362261.jpg

p5pb12362279.jpg

p5pb12362284.jpg

• Like 4

Nice work dude (Y) First photo really stands out, and I'm a big fan of the last one too :)

Makes me wish I'd tried a bit harder to get some photos done in NZ. That said, we were doing a bit more "all mountain" type stuff with long loops where having to f**k around carrying a camera bag wasn't really high on my list of priorities :P

• Like 1

Bit late to the party on this one, but incredible photos (as usual :P) Ian! They're going to give you something amazing to look back on in future too. You need to get a book done...

Hot damn son. F#&king awesome.

Thanks also! I was pretty pleased with that shot in particular actually.

• 2 weeks later...

Real nice shots, also a very small world. I see Kyle Dunn in one of your pics.

It is indeed Kyle, this i getting spooky now.

I've had no luck with shooting photos on the few times I've tried, thunderstorms stopped the lift once and the other time the lift got stopped and by the time we got to the spots I wanted to shoot we were getting moved on cause the park was shutting. Still got some big lines/shots lined up for the future though.

Here's a few anyway.

p5pb12387970.jpg

p5pb12387981.jpg

p5pb12387991.jpg

p5pb12387996.jpg

Making a trip to Vancouver next week and am hoping to purchase a 5d mk3 while I'm there, prices are much much cheaper here than in the UK. My Dad's willing to go twos on it and I can trade all the gear in I've got out here with me. Hoping to get a really fast prime lens, I have a fish eye I can borrow from a friend and I may be getting a 70-200 f4 dirtily cheap from someone in whistler. :)

• Like 4