The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

Some recent shots from me.

Upper Heyford Bomb Stores

Upper Heyford Bomb Stores

Carmel College Pool

Carmel College Pool

17 hours ago, JD™ said:

Not quite photography, but I'm sure you guys know a lot more than me... I just took delivery of a DJI Phantom 3 Standard for some swanky shots in the mountains next month. Anyone done any drone work that can offer some "I wish I'd known x" style advice about getting a shot right? I'm an enthusiastic amateur at best, so any pro-tips will be welcome!

Always shoot manual, the auto settings on the drone cameras are rubbish. Cycle your batteries properly for them too, there's lots of tips to read up online for that, I can't remember it all off the top of my head. Feel free to PM me if you ever need any help with anything!

I usually shoot video with my drone, but I have taken a few photos and this is my favourite so far, even if it is a little over exposed!

Drone vs Sprayer

• Like 2

Cheers Stu, that looks great anyway! I should have made it clear I'll only be shooting video as well – not sure what settings it'll give me access to as it's not with me at the moment but I'll try to work that out before we go. 

Main thing I'm going to be trying to get the hang of, I think, is decent 'fly-by' shots that focus on the subject – trying to continue travelling in the same direction while turning the drone to stay focussed on something you're flying past was difficult in my little play session yesterday afternoon. Only an hour of flight time done though, so hopefully that'll get better by doing a couple of flights a night.

9 minutes ago, JD™ said:

Cheers Stu, that looks great anyway! I should have made it clear I'll only be shooting video as well – not sure what settings it'll give me access to as it's not with me at the moment but I'll try to work that out before we go. 

Main thing I'm going to be trying to get the hang of, I think, is decent 'fly-by' shots that focus on the subject – trying to continue travelling in the same direction while turning the drone to stay focussed on something you're flying past was difficult in my little play session yesterday afternoon. Only an hour of flight time done though, so hopefully that'll get better by doing a couple of flights a night.

Have a look at the Vertical Studio app, it allows you to track objects so that you can focus on flying ant it will keep the camera pointing at an object of your choice.

1 hour ago, stoozie said:

Have a look at the Vertical Studio app, it allows you to track objects so that you can focus on flying ant it will keep the camera pointing at an object of your choice.

Thanks I'll check it out :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to dress this plug for more views up in a thin veil. 

Any constructive criticism to help me improve these videos? This is the latest one, you can obviously see the others from there. (seriously though the critique is more important than the views. Even more important is a donation or share for a great cause)

19 minutes ago, JD™ said:

I'm going to dress this plug for more views up in a thin veil. 

Any constructive criticism to help me improve these videos? This is the latest one, you can obviously see the others from there. (seriously though the critique is more important than the views. Even more important is a donation or share for a great cause)

put the camera in manual. 2:20-3:20 the subject was out of focus, a few over exposed shots in there as well due to the camera being on auto. personally I think all drone shots should be sped up. 

for the final shot in the cafe the colour temperature is everywhere, the warm orange from the inside and the blue outside is a bit gash. I would of stepped outside to get some audio cleaner audio as well.

other than that these videos have a great flow to them, you know what picture you're painting. 

It's in manual, I just suck at focussing at times when I'm rushing or can't see the screen :( if that one was the one where I'm facing back at the riders then it was the only one I could get hanging out the window so it had to be used. Thanks though, I'm trying to improve. 

Everything already mentioned basically. I'm no video expert but from what I've seen I think a snappier edit work work better and keep the viewer more interested. And use some different lens if you can, get closer, further away, mix up the compositions, shoot from inside a cafe as they ride past, frame in windows, bus shelters, bushes, anything you think will be different but work in terms of composition.

With photos, other than the subject being relaxed etc I'm trying to look at Light and composition. I'd be approaching video the same, Light, composition and then the edit/music.

On 9/27/2016 at 4:08 AM, Davetrials said:

So ive got my beedy Eyes on the new Go pro drone, DJI are releasing their offering in 24 hours, imo the go pro is gonna take some beating..

The new DJI one (Mavic Pro) looks insane. UK prices seem way more than the USD estimates would work out at, but it looks like a tidy piece of kit. Would be easy to take with you too. The controller looks crazy and it apparently has a 4 mile range!

23 hours ago, Tony Harrison said:

The new DJI one (Mavic Pro) looks insane. UK prices seem way more than the USD estimates would work out at, but it looks like a tidy piece of kit. Would be easy to take with you too. The controller looks crazy and it apparently has a 4 mile range!

You are correct, the Mavic pro looks amazing, exactly what im after. just need to see whats its compatibility with android is like, i imagine there will be no issues, super stoked to get my hands on it

After I wrote that, though, I saw a side a side by side of the footage quality between that and the Phantom 4. I don't think I'd use it often enough for the smaller size to be enough of a plus to outweigh the poor camera quality. 

So the Karma comes back into play for me, assuming the quality of the Hero Session is as good as it should be.