The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

Can't really help you on those models Skoze, I don't know much about Canon stuff, but I can say that Full Frame is a massive winner. Quality difference between my old D300S and the D750 is incredible.

In photo news, I met a local musician a couple of weeks back and he wanted some promo shots for his new album. Ended up shooting outdoors at night with flashes, which isn't something I do much. Here's a couple from the shoot:

16904634_10158198880790587_2252341476013

16825919_10158198883330587_5417058204044

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skoze said:

Need some camera advice dudes. 

550D's been an absolute workhorse for the past however long but i'm now frequently meeting the limits of what it can do, so it's time for an upgrade. Use it for absolutely everything, but mostly documentary/ street/ sports. 550's done 6 years service so i'd be wanting to get the best part of 10 out of whatever comes next.

Torn between:

7d Mk2: can still use all the lenses i've got (especially the Tokina fisheye for making riding/ skate videos and stuff), seems a good bit of kit but getting one second hand doesn't seem to be all that possible yet.

5d Mk2/ 6d: full frame would be super nice but then a few lenses become obsolete. Seem pretty reasonably priced second hand but i'm aware the 5d2 bodies are getting on a bit now.

5d Mk3: Save up for a few months and go all out, still face having to buy new lenses to go with it, but then never want to replace it ever... 

Thoughts?

I made a jump from a 450d to a 7d and was astounded by the jump in image quality as well as the build quality. Never used a 550 but assume it's a newer entry level to the 450. 

If your shooting sport and videos you may be better with the 7dii however like you said a 5diii will be a great buy that could last a long long time. 

Not sure on your budget but a bit of a curve ball, have you looked at Sony a7 series, with an adapter your canon lens would work, probably not the fish eye but it seems to be great great reviews. 

I'm shootings less and less sports and more street and landscape so I think full frame will be my next move. 

5 hours ago, Joe Aston said:

I made a jump from a 450d to a 7d and was astounded by the jump in image quality as well as the build quality. Never used a 550 but assume it's a newer entry level to the 450. 

If your shooting sport and videos you may be better with the 7dii however like you said a 5diii will be a great buy that could last a long long time. 

Not sure on your budget but a bit of a curve ball, have you looked at Sony a7 series, with an adapter your canon lens would work, probably not the fish eye but it seems to be great great reviews. 

I'm shootings less and less sports and more street and landscape so I think full frame will be my next move. 

Yup, it's basically exactly that but a touch newer. It's done well, it's just getting very irritating at certain points now! 

The more I think about it, the more just gritting my teeth and going for a 5diii is making sense but the Sony's something i've not considered at all! Looking into it though it's definitely a contender, especially up against a 6d. Speaking of which, seeing some of its video issues I think it may have all but written itself out of the equation (which is massively annoying given how good it seems to be in low light for stills!)

I've not long come back to shooting digital after a few years almost exclusively using film and the difference between using the 28mm on my Canon EF and coming back to a 24mm on the crop 550 just in terms of composition makes a very strong case for full frame... 

As for budget, was thinking about 800 for a body, although I could just exercise some patience and put some more pounds in the fund.

I'm pretty sure that the 550d and 7d shared the same sensor. Just that the 7d was a lot quicker and more powerful. The 7d mk ii is supposedly similar in terms of image quality and iso performance. (I have a friend that was kind of disappointed when he traded up.) It is obviously quicker and more powerful again but I think it wouldn't be worth the cost difference where as something full frame would feel like a worthy upgrade.

I rock a 5d iii, I love it, I can't see me having any need to change at all for a long time unless my circumstances change. I came from a 7d and it felt lightyears ahead. While I lived in England last winter my dad kept borrowing it and eventually when I left he had to get his own full frame canon. He got a 6d but he only had it 6 months before he sold it cause he was frustrated with the autofocus capabilities. He's now rocking a 5d iv and not looking back.

Not sure what the price of 5d iii's are at the moment but that's what route I would recommend going down. Although it also depends what lenses you have?

I would rather buy an older higher-end model instead of a newer mid-range one. In 2011 I bought a D7000 and sent it back in preference of an older D300s - I wanted a solid body (less plastic) and a pro-orientated set of controls. Likewise my first full-frame body was a D3, rather than buying a D600 or D750 which I could've done new. I bought a low shutter count D800 as a backup (probably equivalent to the 5d mk3) and it's amazing - again there are full frame options I could've bought new for the same money.

It does depend a bit on what you want to do with it. All my kit is used outside in damp, dusty and/or cold environments. It gets knocked about, dragged about on the floor and generally abused, and so good construction and decent weather-sealing is important.

I'm all about buying good secondhand stuff from people who've used it and looked after it well (bird watchers, studio photographers etc) - I think that usually represents good value for money, and I'm yet to have any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for some camera advice. It's my girlfriends birthday soon and she has previously expressed interest in one of those cameras which has the body size of a compact camera but with a detachable lens (I feel my significant lack of camera knowledge is shining through here...) 

Just as very much a preliminary look into it... are they any good? would it be possible to buy a semi decent one for sub £300 (don't mind going secondhand)?

...Or am I wasting my time?

Do you mean something like a Sony Nex?
I've never used one myself but they seem quite decent.

Here's two shots I was quite happy with from the Gevena Motorshow.

imgp5613_copy_by_topsy93-db2wm4c.jpg

imgp5663_copy_by_topsy93-db2wm3d.jpg

Edited by Hopping_Topsy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

singlein__1_5922_by_topsy93-db4rue6.jpg

Had the crazy idea of adapting an antique lens..

Took an old m42 lens apart that basically came for free with a camera and was in a pretty rough shape and re-used the mount. Cut a few sheets of plywood and screwed them together and slapped the lens with the lensboard onto the front of it. Well maybe it was a bit more complicated, but that basically is it.

The lens is a petzval design off a magic lantern lens from the late 1880s. It's roughly a 120mm f2 and has no aperture.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hopping_Topsy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still messing around with that old lens.. Made a makeshift aperture and it's bloody sharp when stopped down :)

34228068665_7c5c75323a_b.jpg

and the bokeh is just as special as I wanted it. (crappy shot though!)

33874873676_b07ec75f8a_b.jpg

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

18 minutes ago, Wrayvon said:

Thinking of upgrading my camera.... anybody after a D3200 with very low shutter count? Probably sell it with 18-55mm lens. Feel free to share this amongst friends :P Thanks

Roughly how much are you after? 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25.4.2017 at 7:45 AM, manuel said:

Pics of the contraption...

Oops.. Kinda missed this in here!

34842560655_6f81954b70_b.jpg
Adapted Petzval lens by Geoffrey's Creations, on Flickr

IMGP6740-copy.jpg

IMGP7393-small.jpg

And here on film:

35478488241_f4cd46e88b_b.jpg
Victorian Timemachine by Geoffrey's Creations, on Flickr

Got a build progress thing on my website if anyone is interested. http://blog.gcs-creations.ch/

On 6.8.2017 at 11:35 PM, DrEvil270183 said:

Action packed day yesterday. Not pin sharp annoyingly but I think it still works.

Yep that works! :D

Edited by Topsy