The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

My camera money is burning a hole in my pocket but I'm still pretty torn between a Canon SLR and something mirrorless (probably a Panasonic GX1). What do TFers think of Micro Four Thirds? Clearly image quality isn't up there with the APS-C mirrorless systems, but I like it because it's an open standard and I feel like I could invest in lenses without throwing money down the drain (compared to to say, the NEX system).

Edited by konstant

Well my Fuji x100 arrived today, went for a refurb model but it looks brand spanking. God it feels so well made, perfect size and weight. Optical view finder with digital overlay is the balls, noise performace looks on par with my D300 if not better and pretty sharp at F2. Mind you it's dark and only used it around the house so far, will post something if I get anything decent this weekend.

Konstant - Have you considered the X100? Seems bang on what you're after

Konstant - Have you considered the X100? Seems bang on what you're after

The X100 sounds really, really nice, but I'm looking for a primary camera with lens options and I gather the X100 is fixed? I really like GX1 (MFT) but the video is below par for a £500 camera. The lens prices are also pretty offputting. I wonder if I could buy an EOS adapter for an MFT body...

What lenses?

The standard 18-22mm kit lens, a 50mm 1.8 and a 55-200mm, three UV filters, an 8GB SDHD card, a case, a screen cover, a remote, a tripod and a spare battery.

I spent all day yesterday at the Eden Project watching Tim Minchin so I will get some of my first snaps up later :)

My friends came home from South Africa at the weekend so we all went to Tim Minchin at Eden, which was a brilliant excuse to buy a new camera and be a tourist.

First DSLR, first shots with it, hopefully not too bad if a little generic, I think the main "criticism" I have of my photo's is that I need to learn how to compose a shot properly.

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

Edited by Pashley26
  • Like 1

The boxes/ squares/ whatever is quite cool but yeah - get your eye in with some decent composition, that's just a base for everything really.

Oh and DrEvil88437683798673099768476857698759873876525398 (i think?) that lens is absolutely gorgeous - little out of my price range for now though!

So not only do we have to put up with Mr I'm amazing in the car thread, we have him here now too! ;)

Got myself a cheap yn560 flash for off camera work, with a pac of gel filters. Happy with it for now - need to invest in a set of triggers and another one though!

This was just a test shot - composistion aint great but thats the flash on 1/3rd power - £40, decent recycle rate, and works with the booster packs from canon speedlites!

472678_3963553327899_1445193797_o.jpg

Dont think I ever posted this in here - so here we go!

468511_3472566613538_532358165_o.jpg

Any real pointers on how to compose a shot well? How come some pictures are easy to look at and almost tell your eye where to look?

So funny Jamie, why would you assume I will be Mr Amazing at something I know nothing about? I'm not that bad.

Just knowing what's good really! Look at all those pictures that you've just said "almost tell your eye where to look" and see how they're put together, you'll start to see a pattern.

With what i do i spend pretty much every day of my life dealing with that kinda stuff to the point where it is just second nature to know what looks good and what doesn't, things to remember when you're getting started are things like your rule of thirds, how you're framing the subject and how you crop it afterwards if you need/ want to. It'll all feed in and you'll get your eye in for what makes a good photo good. I'm sure other people will have other things to say about what works for them too!

Just stick in something along the lines of "composition basics" or something like that into google and read up on what it gives you. To start off with i'd suggest just sticking the camera in auto so you can completely concentrate on just taking aesthetically good photos for now, then start thinking more about how everything works, what affects what, playing with manual settings and bringing other elements into it later.

Make sure you get to know you're lenses too, you say you've got loads to work with so try 'em all out and get to know what'll suit what (Y)

Edited by Skoze

Took the plunge with micro four thirds and got a good deal on a Panny GX1 with an extra Panasonic 14mm (28mm equiv) f/2.5. That said, I'm looking for zoom really so if anyone fancies a new wide angle MFT lense for cheap, let me know. Link

f11 is where most lenses are sharpest. So f11, lowest ISO and whatever shutter speed you need for that. Think about layers in the landscape. Think about where you want the viewer to be looking, and try and make the lines in the photo all lead towards that point.

• Like 3

Really happy with my afternoon!

Went for a walk down the Plym trail to try and play with shutter speeds and learn how to use the camera, I took over 300 photo's today lol

Most of them were f**king terrible, but it was worth it for these 4 -

7461166898_f8396c240a_b.jpg

7461174928_ab51b198ec_b.jpg

7461231666_28b3deed3a_b.jpg

I met this big boy whilst out on my walk too, he was so sweet. His owner carried on walking up the trail and left him with me for 20 mins because he was so fascinated by my camera haha

7461235056_2f43013a2d_k.jpg

All unedited and taken in fully manual with manual focus two, so my too first attempts at fully controlling the camera :)

Edited by Pashley26