The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

On 09/11/2018 at 8:53 PM, Herbertlemon102 said:

Got my hasselblad film back. Have 5 duff slides which is a shame. I use the hasselblad alongside my 1D, and it’s much more fun imo :D the 1D is my boi for shots that are needed quickly and on demand, but the ‘blad has so much more depth to it. My uni shop sells 120mm film too which is a bonus. Anyone else shoot with film still? 

02DA8FBD-E08A-493C-92EB-B52C2A7D68F7.jpeg

I shoot and develop. So much more fun than digital for since reason, just the scanning gets on my tits a little..

I use an Ensign Commando with a slightly hazy lens and Rollei Ortho 25 film, just love the look of it combined with my amateurish developing skills.. :P

Edited by Topsy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a tailboard camera by accident today..

EF3obKcl.jpg

BcCv3aml.jpg

Couldn't pass on it for £35, but will obviously need a lens sometime.. And the holders are warped. Hoping they can be "steamed" and carefully put in a press to dry.
The larger three of the black plate holders look to be in working order and can be sold and the two smaller ones will be re-used in my DIY 4x5 camera. :)

Edited by Topsy
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not too sure on the forum rules for this sort of stuff so please remove if I've got it wrong. 

I'm getting rid of my late 2012 mac mini which has worked well for my photo editing requirements for the best part of 7 years. 

Off the top of my head, it's the 2.3ghz i7 model, 6GB ram and 1TB HDD. It's physically in good condition and has run photoshop and Lightroom CC fine processing the raw files from my 7d without issue. 

Getting rid of it as I have recently replaced it with a Macbook pro as I don't have desk space anymore. 

Let me know if anyone is interested. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone got any experience with the Sony A7 range? 

Im after a new body as I’m hardly using my 7d as I’m just finding it too big and bulky for taking on walks and stuff. Planning on keeping the Canon glass and getting an adapter. 

The A7 is appealing as the form factor seems a sensible size and weight. The specs seem a good step up from the 7d. 

I appreciate the autofocus and shutter speeds are no way near as good with the Sony but I no longer shoot sport so this doesn’t bother me and I’m not actually planning on getting rid of the 7d body. 

From what I’ve read the A7 can be picked up second hand for £4-500 or brand new with a kit lens for £900. 

I don’t think I need the extra megapixels from the S and I don’t need the 4K video shooting options of the R. 

Thanks

Joe

• Like 1

On 01/08/2019 at 1:29 PM, Joe Aston said:

Has anyone got any experience with the Sony A7 range? 

Im after a new body as I’m hardly using my 7d as I’m just finding it too big and bulky for taking on walks and stuff. Planning on keeping the Canon glass and getting an adapter. 

The A7 is appealing as the form factor seems a sensible size and weight. The specs seem a good step up from the 7d. 

I appreciate the autofocus and shutter speeds are no way near as good with the Sony but I no longer shoot sport so this doesn’t bother me and I’m not actually planning on getting rid of the 7d body. 

From what I’ve read the A7 can be picked up second hand for £4-500 or brand new with a kit lens for £900. 

I don’t think I need the extra megapixels from the S and I don’t need the 4K video shooting options of the R. 

Thanks

Joe

The early a7s are great, but the battery life really isnt from what I’ve found. Can’t say anything about the newer ones. Quality is ace though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2019 at 7:57 PM, Herbertlemon102 said:

The early a7s are great, but the battery life really isnt from what I’ve found. Can’t say anything about the newer ones. Quality is ace though. 

That's what I have read, really not an issue, I won't be shooting anything so critical that replacing a battery will cause me too many issues. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 10:38 AM, Joe Aston said:

That's what I have read, really not an issue, I won't be shooting anything so critical that replacing a battery will cause me too many issues. 

Never used any of the older Sony stuff. I've got an A7 iii and it is the best choice I've ever made. I've gone from over shooting with the hopes of getting something pin sharp to being shocked if it's not sharp. Eye focus is amazing, I shoot portraits wide open now and 95% is pin sharp.

I think the a7 ii was meant to be okay, I haven't heard great things about anything before this so I'd probably go mkii or iii if possible.

Having done a little more research and spoken to a mate of mine who shoots weddings, he advised me to stretch my budget and try and get a MK ii they can be had with a lens for a little over 1100 which was more than I was initially planning on spending but the benefits over the MK i seem worth it. Glass will have to wait. 

Amazon have 3 in stock so fingers crossed they have some left once ive sold my cannon kit. 

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Little Yoshi said:

Right, I've been drafted in at the last minute to shoot a friend's wedding after the photographer they had has had a personal issue. I normally shoot landscape and night shots so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Once I was coerced into shooting a very-much-now-ex-girlfriend's graduation ceremony, and it was a complete disaster. Unless you have decent experience in similar shooting environments you might like to undraft yourself...

• Like 1

I've done quite a few weddings now (Average of 3 a year for the past 6 years) and honestly the first ones I did were pretty shocking - in most cases that was just in exchange for beer tokens, so no drama really.

It's hard to give advice in terms of settings, because all venues are quite different. Some things I've learned:

Registrars / religious folk can be REALLY difficult with photographers. No flash, don't stand near me, etc... If you get a grumpy one, there's not much you can do.

Make a list of important things, discuss it with the couple first - what do they 100% want and what do they not care so much about - many couples, brides especially, will have a list in their head of what they want... Make sure they tell you, otherwise you might end up spending your time capturing the wrong stuff. Ideally, they'll give you a list, but if not just have a chat and make your own notes. Rings going on, first kiss, cake cutting, first dance and of course the stiff posed family photos are usually the must-haves.

Have a backup camera and backup memory cards - ideally shoot with two cards in each camera. If you took 1000 photos and then the single card you're using packs up, what do you do? Always have a backup. Likewise, if your camera decides to give up at the ceremony, have another one ready to go. It's also handy to have two, so that you can have a long lens on one and a shorter prime on the other, saves switching lenses every two minutes.

For your specific situation, make sure you stress several times that you're NOT a wedding photographer. They need to have the right expectations of the product before you deliver it.

2 hours ago, Tony Harrison said:

Once I was coerced into shooting a very-much-now-ex-girlfriend's graduation ceremony, and it was a complete disaster. Unless you have decent experience in similar shooting environments you might like to undraft yourself...

The wedding is on Saturday. Its less "we're hiring you to do this" and more "since you're coming anyway can you bring your camera but I would like to try and get some decent shots. 

@MadManMike

I'm using a D610 so thankfully has two card slots, would you recommend raw on one and jpeg on the other or both? I'm going to be stealing the Mrs D5500 as well for a second camera. Thankfully they're pretty relaxed about the whole thing but I'd like to do the best I can. 

Cheers for all the help.