The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

I have a D750 and shoot RAW onto both SD cards. I also hire a spare, from D610 upwards... Usually a D750 if I can, as I know my way around it.

I wouldn't shoot JPEG myself, I used to years ago but now I shoot in the best quality possible.

If they're pretty chilled about it I wouldn't worry too much, but it's a steep learning curve with weddings that's for sure. If you're shooting one subject all time (track days, for example), the conditions don't vary drastically, but with weddings you'll be in and out of buildings constantly, with different rooms having different lighting and often not long to catch a moment... That's the bit that takes practice, knowing roughly what settings you need and being able to switch to them quickly. I'm not sure if the D610 has it, but on the D750 you can program two different settings on the wheel (auto, aperture, shutter etc..) called U1 and U2, I often get to the venue earlier and set up U1 for indoor settings and then set up U2 roughly right for the weather / light outside. It's a handy feature.

I'm not a wedding pro, but I've done enough to roughly know what I'm doing :)

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 3:38 PM, Little Yoshi said:

The wedding is on Saturday. Its less "we're hiring you to do this" and more "since you're coming anyway can you bring your camera but I would like to try and get some decent shots. 

@MadManMike

I'm using a D610 so thankfully has two card slots, would you recommend raw on one and jpeg on the other or both? I'm going to be stealing the Mrs D5500 as well for a second camera. Thankfully they're pretty relaxed about the whole thing but I'd like to do the best I can. 

Cheers for all the help. 

By the sounds of it, I'd go in chilled and experiment loads, see what happens. They aren't expecting anything so do what you enjoy rather than stressing over little things, just shoot what you want to shoot. When I started we used to try plan everything, now we just go in and capture what we see.

I try to concentrate on anything on finding awesome light, funny stuff, moments, little details and light. Light is always number one, it rules of any backdrop or wall for me. We've just updated our site and name after being hacked and loosing ten years of stuff. Take a look if you like, you can see how relaxed it can be with the right couple and it sounds like they are a nice chilled couple with nothing to loose as such.

www.paulandtim.com (Due to the hack, we're live but not 100% done hence being one two blogs and a rushed gallery etc. Probably loads of grammar errors too.

8 hours ago, DrEvil270183 said:

When I started we used to try plan everything, now we just go in and capture what we see.

Side note from someone who’s not a photographer but has been a wedding photography subject - the photos that come from this are infinitely better than the planned ones. 

We’d agreed with our photographers that we were having a less structured wedding than most, and they could just get candid shots the whole day. Still kept catching them making people pose, and those shots are the ones we skip over when looking back.

Just in case that little anecdote helps you relax at all @Little Yoshi. Good luck!

1 minute ago, JD™ said:

We’d agreed with our photographers that we were having a less structured wedding than most, and they could just get candid shots the whole day. Still kept catching them making people pose, and those shots are the ones we skip over when looking back.

I can see how that would make for a much better photo set, and one that shows the day as it was, not moments provoked by the camera.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:46 AM, MadManMike said:

Same as my style - 30% posed, 70% discretely shot from a distance.

As nice as it is to have a group photo with your nan, the ones where you capture some chaos at the bar are infinitely more interesting :)

I'm more 15% posed, 85% natural but I shoot almost entirely on a 35mm lens getting in really close. Little bit of 85mm once I'm bored of 35mm or sometimes jump to 24mm.

19 hours ago, DrEvil270183 said:

I'm more 15% posed, 85% natural but I shoot almost entirely on a 35mm lens getting in really close. Little bit of 85mm once I'm bored of 35mm or sometimes jump to 24mm.

Working at 35mm, how do you deal with people playing up to the camera? Or do you just wait until they think you've got the shot and snap one more? You know that thing where a camera appears and people start doing a thumbs-up or whatever.

5 hours ago, Tony Harrison said:

Working at 35mm, how do you deal with people playing up to the camera? Or do you just wait until they think you've got the shot and snap one more? You know that thing where a camera appears and people start doing a thumbs-up or whatever.

Mainly speed, waiting until you think something is going to happen and try be ready. I also waiting behind people and then shoot through them so I'm not noticed as much, plus you can add layers with the people. Shooting from chest height looking down at the screen, little bit of luck and then you always get someone playing up too so you go with it.

People make great layers, but they also tend to move . These are all 35mm, just popping up at the right time.

Screen_Shot_2019-10-14_at_21_03_18.png

Screen_Shot_2019-10-14_at_21_03_07.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 21.02.57.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 21.02.21.png

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DrEvil270183 said:

Mainly speed, waiting until you think something is going to happen and try be ready. I also waiting behind people and then shoot through them so I'm not noticed as much, plus you can add layers with the people. Shooting from chest height looking down at the screen, little bit of luck and then you always get someone playing up too so you go with it.

People make great layers, but they also tend to move . These are all 35mm, just popping up at the right time.

Some great moments there! Makes sense what you're saying. And you guys usually work as a pair? Because that's the other thing, I wonder how on your own you can do it all.

Yeah, two of us for our full package. We do a solo thing, two shooters short hours and two shooters for the whole day. Two is easier, mainly because I can concentrate on mingles whilst Paul gets room details, formals or more mingles. If you shoot solo, you have to manage couples expectations more. Get them to have at least two hours between ceremony and wedding breakfast. You get quick at doing certain things too, room details can be smashed out in 5 mins.

The best weddings have couples that trust you, loads of time for everyone to relax and you get time to get safe shots as well as experimenting with shots. Plus it can take time to get a good bunch of really good stuff.

• 1 year later...

I've got a Nikon 3100 and a Canon 550D that I use for video, an odd combination but the Nikon was a cheap one i bought several years ago and the Canon was free. The 3100 kit lens has stopped autofocusing which is annoying (it was slowly getting worse, the motor/mech has become really notchy). I've had it apart and it appears to be a fault with the motor so its not worth repairing but is still useable as a manual focus only lens.

Has anybody got a working AF-S lens for sale? 18-55 is fine for my needs, wider the better really! Not after anything too special, just functional