The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

IMO, not remotely pointless. I think the current system is completely flawed, you spent your L plate time with 15bhp, then 2 years with 33bhp, then you can get on a Hayabusa with 190bhp? It worked 40 years ago when the most powerful bike of the day had under 75bhp, but not any more IMO.

Mind you, I don't think that doing multiple tests is the answer. I think you should have to pass one test as I did, then the amount of power you're allowed should scale each year, like 33bhp for the first year, 50bhp in the second, 100bhp in the third, 150bhp in the 4th, then unlimited after that.

Mind you, my last bike was an 8bhp MZ 125, but my next bike (planned) is a Yamaha FZR1000, 150bhp and 170mph for £1500. :P

Yeah used to do so much. Still have the bike but not so much riding unfortunately, what're you on with?

Sherco 300 2010, with many many mods, vhst flat slide carb, ti front pipe, ohlins, many other buts and let's just say I have used my skills at work in the spray booth and made it a bit different in the last week :)

Get some pics up then, title says!

This is my 'sled'. My 88 Yamaha TY250R. Had it since I was 15. :) (So over 6 years). Now has a front drum brake (cheap fix after I killed the disc, turns out it's far better than the disc ever was), different silencer, chain and sprockets and looks a lot more bashed up, but it's largely not changed since then.

It has seen the light of day twice this year, but not for well over a year before then. I'm rubbish. :(

Just waiting for the day when we can afford a house with a garage and I'll be bringing her home. Need a car as well really...

RIMG00232.jpg

step.jpg

Edited by Muel

Okay looked at some real nice bikes recently and become good mates through college with a biker. He said about the law changing soon which would limit the power of a bike based on experience.

So basically what would I have to do to say be able to ride a GSXR600 before the law changed. Im 17 btw. Im not saying im going to do it as I still want to drive but whats happening with the law etc? and what tests costs etc.. :)

Heres a chart showing how it is now and what they are bringing in,

http://www.90-one.com/testchange.html

Basically, If u want to ride say a full powered 600cc sportbike before 21 (I heard in another artical it was going to be 24, But we will find out when its actually in place) then you will have to pass the bike test before jan 19th, Because of your age, You will have to be restricted to 33bhp for two years (Currently what im on, 33bhp is still plenty of power for a first timer)

Passing the test before jan 19th will be very hard (theory, mod 1, mod2) especially on the run up too Christmas and alot of pressure!

Edited by trials owns

Well i've booked my theory test for next thursday, then got to find somewhere suitable to do mod 1 and 2. I can ride a bike as easy as i eat cake but just need someone to advise me of any habits or such i have that are bad, also done car test so know what i'm doing on the road. (Nearest place to me are apparently a total rip off (N))

Well i've booked my theory test for next thursday, then got to find somewhere suitable to do mod 1 and 2. I can ride a bike as easy as i eat cake but just need someone to advise me of any habits or such i have that are bad, also done car test so know what i'm doing on the road. (Nearest place to me are apparently a total rip off (N))

Having done a car test is completely irrelevant. You'd still need a days training to get you up to test standard as when I went to do MOD1 I thought the same, would be a walk in the park. But I was wrong, you pick up more bad habits than you think.

I may be wrong, but that was my experience.

My bandit 600 is for sale if anyone is interested.

27k miles, mot end of April, tax 09/2013

Bridgestone bt023 tyres with 200 miles on them.

Had a new oil cooler 5000 miles ago

Original chrome headlight, newish seat cover, art end can and link pipe.

Would like £1050 ono.

Pm me if you're interested

Booked my cbt for a week on Friday the day after my theory test :) moving in the right direction now.

Got to register my bike though! Hopefully shouldn't be too difficult but mrs have messed about sending me my certificate of newness.

Also seriously thinking of putting in an entry for the scottish six day trials. Really buzzing for that! :)

Edited by Duncy H

• 2 weeks later...