The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

It'll do the job on a kart track but I wouldn't want to wear it on the road. Looks reasonably 'proper' from the outside which I guess is the main thing!

In unrelated news I went to Nitro Circus Live last night at the O2 which was pretty awesome. Not as much unscripted craziness as I expected/would've liked but some impressive shit going down. Special flip on MX, side by side body varials on MX, triple backflip on BMX. All good stuff!

As it's a motorbike helmet, I thought I'd ask here:

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

Is that likely to be any good? It's only for indoor go karting, but I don't want total crap.

I think I did my cbt in one of them last week and i found it really uncomfortable. Towards the rear of my head there was a stupidly thin bit of material between the polestyrene and my head. Probably would be easy to put something in there to make it more comfortable though.

I passed my cbt the other week. After 2 minutes the instructor said I can see you can easily ride a bike but you have to stay all day unfortunately. So i did and while two young chaps were out i had to sit in the cabin while they were out on the road, during this time one of them crashed into the back of the instructor :giggle: So I had to hang around ages and then when it was my chap we went round the corner, pulled up and just chatted about trials :P

The woman that runs it tried to get me to book mod 1 and 2 while i was there saying they were very busy and trying to make out it was very cheap, Yeh, right. On a minimal coarse not guaranteed it was £600. Thank you very much but I'm going elsewhere.

Related to helmets too, I'm currently airbrushing my helmet :D

Cool, I'll go for this one then I reckon... Won't be used on a road at all :)

Doesn't make it any more comfortable. :P Any helmet under £75 is "cheap" IMO and won't be much good really, but if it's just for go-karting it should be alright. Depends how long you need to wear it for at any one time.

Edited by Muel

Doesn't make it any more comfortable. :P Any helmet under £75 is "cheap" IMO and won't be much good really, but if it's just for go-karting it should be alright. Depends how long you need to wear it for at any one time.

I can add stuff in there to make it comfy...

Races are 30 minutes at a time, so not any massively long periods of wearing it.

I can add stuff in there to make it comfy...

Races are 30 minutes at a time, so not any massively long periods of wearing it.

If you can fit anything other than a thin balaclava in there, it doesn't fit.

30 mins is actually a long time to be wearing a helmet for IMO, it needs to be comfortable dude or it'll drive you crazy. (I speak from personal experience).

Go to a shop, try them on, trust me it'll be worth spending £50-60 on a better one.

If you can fit anything other than a thin balaclava in there, it doesn't fit.

it needs to be comfortable dude or it'll drive you crazy. (I speak from personal experience).

+1 too this, My mx helmet, After 30 mins hurt like hell and its feels like a really painful itch in a concentrated place that doesn't go away haha

As for the test, There mainly looking for awareness on the road with all the manouvers, But not really the quality of riding the bike, If u can ride with confidence already its just the awareness you really need to learn. IMO anyway.

Edited by trials owns

+1 too this, My mx helmet, After 30 mins hurt like hell and its feels like a really painful itch in a concentrated place that doesn't go away haha

My road helmet does it if I let my hair grow too long, so distracting when you're trying to concentrate on the road.

I dont really see the point in all these changes in the motorcycle test and limits like 125 till your 19 then re test for bigger. I really do not get it. If anything they should do away with direct access, I dont care how many years some one may of been on the road to allow them access straight away to a bike with a small - family car sized engine in it is asking for trouble. I feel every one should be limited on power / engine size for the first two years. I feel 47bhp as they are saying is about right if not to much.

I personally think after passing your test it should be an engine restriction for 1 year no matter what age of 125 to stop bikes being restricted on paper work only. then it should be 400cc for a year if you want then onto what ever you want. Obviously if you wanted a 125 for 2 years thats fine I learned a hell of a lot on my little rs 125 it had more then enough power for me and im 6"1 17stone.

I also feel they're should be more awareness in driving lessons / test's perhaps a day on a moped in traffic to make people realise how venerable bikes are. Also how about restricting car drivers? I feel particular for a 17 year old they should not be aloud anything more then a 1 litre, I also feel it should be illegal to put in a big sound system until they have had at least a year on the road. How much do you really know is going on around you when you cant even hear the person sitting next to you?

Rant over back to my icy freezing cold winter mornings on a motor bike god I hate it.

Agree with pretty much everything except the DAS, you're tested on a powerful bike so if you couldn't handle it they wouldn't pass you.

I was on a 125 for about 10 months and feel the experience was necessary. People who go from no experience to a Busa in 1 week is a little ridiculous though.

• Like 1

Agree with pretty much everything except the DAS, you're tested on a powerful bike so if you couldn't handle it they wouldn't pass you.

I was on a 125 for about 10 months and feel the experience was necessary. People who go from no experience to a Busa in 1 week is a little ridiculous though.

but thats the thing though they do the test on a 600 and can go out and get a busa. I feel what ever you pass a direct access on is what you should be limited to so for example you do it on a 6 you can only ride a 6 for 2 years. I just think its so dangerous letting people take they're test and get something way to powerful for them. You wouldn't even think about jumping in a super sports car for your first car because you know the power will probably kill you.

Yeh that's true, if you pas your test and get a supercharged, methanol fed busa with 600bhp, you can only legally ride at the speed limit. Get real though, every Busa ever sold was only bought because it's a rocket ship designed to break speed limits. If you wanted to do 70mph, there are bikes that are lighter, more efficient on fuel, comfier and more fun in the bends than a busa.

Fact is that you can make the rules as tough as you like, it only makes people more determined to bend them.

No-one can pass their test and get on a Hayabusa anyway, ever looked up the insurance cost on one when you've only had a licence for a few months?

Edited by Muel

Numb hands! Was having a spin on a b-road then came across a slow moving lorry, I stayed behind it at a good distance, He stops then slams it in reverse to let a coach past coming the other way, scary stuff!!!!!!! Was so close to getting my bike ran over! Lets just say there was alot of swear words bouncing around my helmet!

Numb hands! Was having a spin on a b-road then came across a slow moving lorry, I stayed behind it at a good distance, He stops then slams it in reverse to let a coach past coming the other way, scary stuff!!!!!!! Was so close to getting my bike ran over! Lets just say there was alot of swear words bouncing around my helmet!

Bad times, had similar happen to me once. Hard to know what to do in that situation. I seem to remember I just did a U turn and went a different way, wasn't in the mood for any argument.