The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

I failed mod 2 this morning, not suprised at all. Nerves got to me as soon as we went out and I was a right mess haha. Don't know what came over me. Turns out I only failed for following a lorry too closely. Nevermind :)

Does anyone know if a clutch indicator cable - the one that tells the ignition system if the clutch lever is depressed is required for an MOT? I pulled mine off trying to get the bike to start and it will be a bit of a faff to refit if it is a requirement.

I failed mod 2 this morning, not suprised at all. Nerves got to me as soon as we went out and I was a right mess haha. Don't know what came over me. Turns out I only failed for following a lorry too closely. Nevermind :)

Bad times mate, sounds like a pretty gay reason to fail though? My understanding was that you could only fail for doing something dangerous, not potentially dangerous? (But then I failed my first attempt for stopping at a green light, which definitely was safe as there was no-one behind me).

Does anyone know if a clutch indicator cable - the one that tells the ignition system if the clutch lever is depressed is required for an MOT? I pulled mine off trying to get the bike to start and it will be a bit of a faff to refit if it is a requirement.

Pretty sure it isn't... Could be wrong though.

I guess they think if you did something potentially dangerous you could carry on doing it and cause dangerous situation?

I'm not too fussed about failing cause I was a nervous wreck at the time. Suprised I didn't fail on anything else though, just 3 minor faults otherwise.

Make sure it looks like it's connected. If they see a plug with wires hanging out or a loose wire they'll probably fail it but if it looks right it's not something they'll actively check as far as I'm aware.

Im looking to get a big bike (but do my test first). My mate said do the CBT and get a bike with gears to practice. I can then do a few lessons on a 650 and go for my test. Seems a good idea? Anyway my CBT is booked and I'm looking at bikes. Any recommendations? It would be a 125cc and preferably a 2 stroke though 4 stroke wouldn't be prob either.

Thinking of getting a Kx125 4 stroke on the road for my plod to work/apprenticeship. Supermoto wheels - no offroad.

Anygood? Ive ridden the 2 stroke option and thats got some kick to it, but how do the 4 strokes compare?

I guess all those wildly interesting things could (theoretically) mask it's flat, asthmatic hamster of an engine? :P

On the other hand, my MZ with very boring handling, adequate brakes and boring suspension was brought alive by the fact that it had a powerband from 5000-8000rpm and went "NYEEEEEEEEEf**kSOCIETYNYYYEEEEEEEE!!!"

Ive played on some 4 stroke 125 pitbikes and they seem sweet, but the small wheels could be the factor... and that theyre smaller overall.
Im keen on a 4 stroke as its less hassle filling up and such, not having to add 2 stroke mix everytime.

The KX125 2 stokes are fantastic, they're ridiculous when they hit the power band.
I like the throb of a 4 stroke, and the the pull. I suppose it doesn't reeaallly matter as its going to be used for a commuter mostly, but it would be nice to have some enjoyment from it.

Ah Dont forget your 15bhp limit on a cbt :w00t: , All the fun 125 2 strokes de-restricted hit around 33bhp.

I had great fun on my 4 stroker 125, Kept up with traffic nicely, Had fun overtaking on b-roads and was sweet on the lanes (especially being my first bike), best thing was the engine was bombproof, ragged for around 12k non stop after run in and still kept going good! just Dont buy cheap chinese crap that falls apart.

Ah Dont forget your 15bhp limit on a cbt :w00t: , All the fun 125 2 strokes de-restricted hit around 33bhp.

I had great fun on my 4 stroker 125, Kept up with traffic nicely, Had fun overtaking on b-roads and was sweet on the lanes (especially being my first bike), best thing was the engine was bombproof, ragged for around 12k non stop after run in and still kept going good! just Dont buy cheap chinese crap that falls apart.

Going to be taking my bike test anyway, not planning on getting a bigger bike in the immediate future but the idea of one later on is appealing.

125 4 stroke sounds the way to go for me then. Im a bit of a yob and I like the noise they make too ;)

Any reputable brands you'd recommend? Got my eye set on a Kawasaki but Im open to suggestions.

They actually don't, you'd have to have some pretty expensive tuning on an RS125 or a Mito to hit 33bhp, that's entry level race bike power.

They're "33bhp legal" which most people assume means they're 33bhp, they're not. Even out of an older more powerful Aprilia you're likely to get 27 or 28 if you're lucky, the other bikes like an NSR etc are several BHP less.

The last 2 stroke Aprilias put out 24bhp at the crank, so you can call it 20bhp give or take at the wheel.

Over 12 years of riding I've learnt to never take anything an Aprilia RS125 owner says seriously :wink:

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

Yeah, All the big brands are normally pretty good (Honda's, Yamaha etc), Providing they have had good history and not enormous amount of miles on the clock :) Really depends on what sort of style and budget you have.

Ah fairdoos, Havent really looked into the power output, Just what all the chavs/people of the internet have told me haha

Yeah don't listen to the chavs, they see the number 33 and stick with it lol.

I had an NSR in 2002 and 2 mates had an RS125 and a Cagiva Mito each, they'd always beat me by a small amount flat out, but they had their engines seize twice each while mine went for 2 years on no maintenance until I sold it on.

HONDA!