The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

I didn't say you were a liar.

It's annoying when people tell you what you did in your own life isn't it? Then have that feeling of having to justify yourself?

You said that I was making stuff up and my opinion didn't matter (because it didn't match your experiences).

But honestly, meh, I don't want to kick up a storm (again).

Look like I said, you didn't need to post that stuff for me above. And again it really is appreciated.

Not that you should give a f**k but, by doing that, I have all the more respect for you now.

I'm now going to keep quiet.

...my opinion didn't matter (because it didn't match your experiences).

I didn't say that and don't think that.

Anyway, vaguely on topic, my Dad showed up last week for a coffee on his Diavel. Although young me would have been happier if it'd been a bright red 916 this bike still looks f**king sweet.

ducati_left.jpg

ducati_rear.jpg
ducati_right.jpg
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I am concerned this needs no explanation.

However, If ever I wanted or needed to explain how a life of Avgas, (castrol) R, fast motorbikes and putting yourself in genuine danger seems to be one of the best best anti-ageing tonics man has ever come up with, then Geoff Duke would have been a bloody good example. You stand next to, or watch, a garden gate Manx on full noise (especially round the island) and you try and tell me racers of that generation weren't bonafide legends. When I met him, he'd have been in his mid-eighties and was still pin sharp, funny, modest, & actually rather staggered that someone as young (14/15ish) as me new who he was, let alone wanted a photo with him.

People that deserve the respect of so many are seriously few and far in between, so just watch the damn vid, ok?

Geoff Duke OBE 1923 - 2015 :( (but he was 92...)

• Like 2

Finally getting somewhere. Quite a lot to do before I could call it 'finished' - really I'd like to clean the redundant tabs/fixings off the frame and powdercoat it, and also re-wire the whole bike. Needs some carb fine-tuning too, but generally I'm pleased with how it's going...

post-4758-0-82243400-1431663623_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Still not sure it counts if you're getting someone else to do all the work though!

Well I thought that when I first started the project, because originally I wanted to do everything myself, and I spent a load of money on tools (which I have used). Then I realised that I'd only be doing it so that I could say I'd done the work - it's not like I needed to prove anything to myself. I first rebuilt a motorbike engine (with help) aged 10, and since then I've had bikes apart in the desert, in the Himalayas, in the jungle. Next month I'm scheduled to be riding a battered old Royal Enfield over the highest altitude pass in the world, and unlike Ewan McGregor I won't have a support van, so it'll be fix it myself or walk. So pulling an engine apart and getting covered in grease in an apartment block carpark, surrounded by mosquitoes, just for a bragging right... hmm, not so much fun.

As it came together though I realised how satisfying it was - I'd had an image in my head of what I wanted, which had of course never been seen by the (four) people who at different times worked on it. And yet despite only having to get the tools out myself a dozen or so times, the sheer amount of effort I put into finding the parts in a country with no eBay and few English-speakers, going to get them, having them damaged by so-called mechanics, replacing them, directing the work that others did do... I feel like I've earned it. It's taken this long without me doing most of the actual labour. Nothing happens fast here.

I'm actually right now weighing up buying another bike, and this time I'll be doing it more hands-on, on my balcony, simply because trusting/waiting for other people often proves more trouble than it's worth.

just got my v5 through the door for my shitty little 50cc peguot squab.

getting the insurance, mot and tax sorted out at the start of next month, should keep me amused for a while even though I am sort of used to the (small amount) of speed it delivers.

not really sure I like the idea of commuting around the city on that rather than cycling, nothing beats that around the city.

Edit:
also, on my CBT I got a slap on the wrist for 1/2 finger braking. is the correct way using all your fingers?

trials instincts are deep

Edited by ItsMatt

Edit:also, on my CBT I got a slap on the wrist for 1/2 finger braking. is the correct way using all your fingers?

trials instinctstheare deep

I had the same shouting at haha and for covering both levers all the time too...not sure why he was deeming that bad though.

1 for the clutch, 2 for the brake suits me, thought of hitting a moon-crater sized pothole while using all 4 fingers to brake should be a good enough reason not to haha

I got in trouble for covering the brake/clutch all the time, using one/two fingers and also waving my knees around to balance at low speeds! Because the clutch is a bit heavy and because they beat it out of me I do now use four fingers on both levers when using them. Occasionally do just use one or two fingers on the brake if I know the road and am just scrubbing speed though.

I also got shouted at on cbt for not enough fingers, the fact I was locking up the front wheel on emergency stops with two is beside the point.

I only ever use one or occasionally two when on the supermoto, beringer cast iron disk + four pot caliper + magura radial master = two finger stoppies at motorway speeds :)

Edited by forteh

I have some engine trouble, not sure what's wrong. Bike is fine up to 4000 rpm, starts first kick every time. But then if you give it a blast on the throttle, up towards 5000 rpm, it suddenly loses power and seems to bog down. Then it'll pop and bang a bit, through the carb aswell. When I drop the revs I can stop it from stalling and it'll ride fine again, as long as only below 4000.

Yesterday, a week since last use, it would not start. As I suspected when I took the plug out it was black, so I'm thinking it's running too rich. Cleaned the plug, got it to start, but I'm not happy about it. Taking the bike back to the engine builder so he can have a play with it.

Anyone else got any ideas? Carb is brand new, so I'm inclined to think it's setup rather than malfunction. Or could it be electrics, not providing a good enough spark?