The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

getting the bike in for its mot tomorrow, im going to insure it tonight, do i need to have tax to take it to the mot station? recently tax dads bike online and there's a tick box confirming the vehicle has MOT?

weird, I'm getting mine MOT'd for the first time (in my hands) tomorrow as well.

to my knowledge you have to pass the MOT to be able to tax it

https://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/25771-can-i-ride-a-motorbike-to-a-pre-booked-mot-without-tax/

Old but says it's ok there, unsure if it has changed since though other topics I've read through (elsewhere and more recent, link has credibility) say the same too. I'm guessing its illegal to ride it out of the mot place if it passes with no tax hahaha

fairplay :) will get you buzzing around anyway!

https://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/25771-can-i-ride-a-motorbike-to-a-pre-booked-mot-without-tax/

Old but says it's ok there, unsure if it has changed since though other topics I've read through (elsewhere and more recent, link has credibility) say the same too. I'm guessing its illegal to ride it out of the mot place if it passes with no tax hahaha

thanks for posting that up, yeah exactly that, ill take that risk :P

ped is on the road and things, picked myself up a new helmet and lock.

I did about 30 miles yesterday, I'm getting about 25mph out of it and it is so frustrating because I can go faster cycling and get away with bending a few laws

any tips on squeezing a few more knots out of the thing without f**king it up in the long run?

Images cross-posted from the Photography Thread. These are from my recent trip to Kashmir, to ride a Royal Enfield Bullet in the Himalayas. It was absolutely crazy, some of the best and worst roads I've ever ridden, once or twice reaching 5,500m in altitude. Bike ran really well actually, hardly any problems. My friend's bikes seemed a little less reliable, some assorted carb/spark plug problems, plus various bits of frame and rack snapping off.

Fully recommend it if you're competent on mixed terrain - there were some parts like 60s ISDT sections, sand dunes, snow, ice, water crossings, you name it! Bike hire for two weeks was about £200, gas was really cheap too.

6535P.jpg

6855P.jpg

7336P.jpg

7440P.jpg

7515P.jpg

7747P.jpg

7894P.jpg

8103P.jpg

8153P.jpg

8238P.jpg

8303P.jpg

8358P.jpg

8584P.jpg

8820P.jpg

8931P.jpg

9117P.jpg

9622P.jpg

9725P.jpg

• Like 3

Images cross-posted from the Photography Thread. These are from my recent trip to Kashmir, to ride a Royal Enfield Bullet in the Himalayas. It was absolutely crazy, some of the best and worst roads I've ever ridden, once or twice reaching 5,500m in altitude. Bike ran really well actually, hardly any problems. My friend's bikes seemed a little less reliable, some assorted carb/spark plug problems, plus various bits of frame and rack snapping off.

Fully recommend it if you're competent on mixed terrain - there were some parts like 60s ISDT sections, sand dunes, snow, ice, water crossings, you name it! Bike hire for two weeks was about £200, gas was really cheap too.

That looks absolutely awesome, and the photographs are brilliant. The muted colour palette is perfect and the trip sounds like a great experience.

• 3 weeks later...

What an absolute tragedy. Too often you hear of the racers being killed, but never a doctor. I thought I'd never see anything like this in my lifetime. RIP Dr John Hinds, definitely in the same vein as Claudio Costa. If it wasn't for you a lot of racers wouldn't be as well as they are now. You will be so sorely missed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-33396577

Edited by bing

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite all those photos further up the page, I failed my module 1 exam! What an embarassment! For some reason when I slowed down after the hazard avoidance I couldn't see the blue cones, thought f'ck I'd better stop and managed to skid the rear wheel for about a meter. Everything else was faultless, never skidded in training or practice either.

Surely that's called 'backing it in'? ;) I do it all the time these days coming up to junctions and stuff (note: Not backing it in Rossi style, just scrubbing the rear tyre on hard braking for lols).

I do it too on my Yamaha because it makes a screech on fresh tarmac and makes everyone jump!

But yeah the examiner didn't take too kindly. I think really I should've pulled up, grabbed the front brake and lit the tyre up and smoked that c'nt outta there. But hey, I gotta go back, so maybe it was best I didn't...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking about getting a 125 to learn on, I hvae no idea about what sort of bike is good, probably looking for something second hand, easy and reliable, anyone have any recommendations ?

My choice would be a Honda CG125, like this... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-CG125-classic-/271978671370

They're cheap to buy, run and insure, and you can learn some basics of bike maintenance. Nice simple bike. A lad on my CBT course had one and it was great.

I have to say I am slightly biased for classic bikes (I passed my mod 1 and 2 in the end and have been riding a 1976 Honda CB400F Four) but I do feel you get more for your money.

Anyone got any experience of 50s? Thinking about doing a 5 hour of road endurance race for charity next year. A reinforced scooter sounds like fun but haven't had any experience of cvt drive train etc...

Also on the road am really looking forward to seeing what the new Husky 701 ends up like. Possibly my next bike all being well...

My choice would be a Honda CG125, like this... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-CG125-classic-/271978671370

They're cheap to buy, run and insure, and you can learn some basics of bike maintenance. Nice simple bike. A lad on my CBT course had one and it was great.

I have to say I am slightly biased for classic bikes (I passed my mod 1 and 2 in the end and have been riding a 1976 Honda CB400F Four) but I do feel you get more for your money.

Unfortunately though, they are absolutely f**king hideous to ride. I'd honestly rather not have a bike at all than have a CG. Did all my training on them.

They do go and stop and will move you around, but they're so bouncey and wallowy and unbearably slow. I had a 1986 MZ ETZ125 at the same time which was many times nicer to ride, and cost me £200. :lol:

• Like 1

C111jPB.jpg

Thats right, check it.

Peugot squab 1997 50cc. 30mph of D A N G E R

my plan is to run it into the ground and forget about it.

so far I have Chopped a pointless pipe off the exhaust, 'sealed' it up with 20p, a jubilee clip and some form of putty stuff.

BhxDJag.jpg

Don't get too jealous about how fresh this job is.

despite removing the rev limiter I am still limited to an astonishing 30mph, it reaches its maximum horizontal velocity at about 3/4 throttle and the rest is just noise.

HOW DO I MAKE IT GO FASTER?

a funny side note, I heard the centre stand flip up last Friday at about midnight and saw two people moving it on to the pavement just so they can park their car, I found this event humorous..

so I came outside to move it off the pavement and found out they had snapped the steering lock, I got angry and served up a nice dish of karma via letting a tyre down, honey along the wiper blades and loctite in the washer jets.

blah blah banter banter.. I had to remove the steering lock pin and bash the ignition bracket back into place.

Edited by ItsMatt

In the most oddly sideways news.

I have bought a BSA A10.

Holy f'cking dog shit.

Mr Fashion Fag himself buys something that's actually f'cking cool. The BSA A10 is a fantastic bike (and arguably way better than a Bonneville). What year is it?

This is funny, because you buying a BSA is one of the few things that could ever unseat the opinion I formed of you when the pics of that Indian bird surfaced...

• Like 1