The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

6 hours ago, ManxTrialSpaz said:

Well, you b*****d. You've just made me feel very bad about my 250L. I need to change the red up a bit it would seem!

Mine started life like this... http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/011613-2013-honda-crf-250m-3.jpg

I actually bought it more or less as it is above. I saw it for sale a year ago but it got sold before I had time to go and see it. The first owner is really into custom bikes and he had it tuned up for more power, fitted most of the accessories. The guy who I bought it off had the graphics done (there's a local supplier, costs about £60 for the set I think). The wheels of course had to come apart to have the rims anodized but the shop didn't charge for the labour since I'd ordered about £400 of stuff through them.

• 1 month later...

Some short onboards from this (last?) years MacauGP that ought to be shared, if it'll work properly...

Firstly Peter Hickman and Martin Jessop on alternating front and rear cams.

and my favorite I've seen is this in fairing gyro cam - I just end up staring at the clock thinking that any engine that can pull and drive from 3500revs and bounce the limiter at 15 grand really is some piece of kit, or is that just me?

Edited by CC12345678910

You'll not have damaged anything internally, however it's possible that the stanchions have twisted in the yokes; check the front wheel alignment relative to the bars and see if it looks out.  Generally if you unweight/lift the front end, release all the pinch bolts on the axle and yokes the forks should straighten them selves up again when you re-tighten starting from the axle first.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I've ever put any pictures of my bikes up so here goes. I have a few others besides these but here are my main two:

First up is my 1991 Suzuki Goose, its a DR350cc engined little cafe racer grey import. This is the second one of these I've had and its just the best. 33bhp from the factory so its not mega quick but it handles and stops so well it means you ride it flat out everywhere! 

B179A48F-C00C-43DE-BDC5-3A0C091C28F6_zps

5B2058F2-55E0-47DD-9B3B-BE0DA7652A99_zps

D0A7C0FC-F8CD-4F9C-8A39-4EA82C30F44C_zps

36DEA7D6-B8D9-497D-8C45-D90EB856F692_zps

791C5346-B7D7-482B-96F4-FDD75837B6CE_zps

Next up is my newest toy, my GSXR 600 K6. I was really wanting some more speed after my Goose and this does not disappoint, even after owning it for 6 months I still can't believe how fast it is when it gets between 14,000-16,000 rpm. So glad I got my test passed before the rules changed or else I wouldn't be allowed to ride this yet! 

BEB6756B-94D9-4245-A35E-47C47D5F9713_zps

51924250-3DE5-4687-A66F-45C5AD580A52_zps

588983BB-A3C6-4A1E-AEF4-485DF3214AC7_zps

F3C3C7F5-A226-41AE-BBC8-D989AB387525_zps

E5BA1143-29B3-4C4F-AC26-B9A9A95E5467_zps

Edited by wilf
  • Like 1

Really liking the Goose, I love 1970s/80s/90s Japanese bikes, and that one looks really clean. Really really clean, in fact - did someone just keep it mint or has it been rebuilt?

I recently bought another NSR250 (with GSX forks as it happens) to do some track days. It has a V5 and daylight MOT too which is convenient ; )

It was built by a guy who knows his stuff from the bare frame up, MC21SP engine, dry clutch, rebuilt crank, only 2000km on the full engine rebuild, vapour blasted cases etc, aftermarket pipes, Tyga rearsets, really nice job he's made of it. I haven't actually ridden it yet.

nsr.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilf said:

I would love that with some slightly less bright wheels, looks smart though. I only really know the 600/750's but is it about a K4?

I've got a K6 600, can't imagine how fast that 1000 is haha.

Cheers! Yeah it's a K3, I was looking at K6/K7 750s, same model/look as your 600, as they were going for about £3600+ but in the end I gave in to power! It is stupidly fast, and stupidly loud, just how I like it! But I really don't need a bike that does 100mph in first gear, I don't think I've been out of 3rd gear yet....can't wait to take it to Brands Hatch though.

Definitely need your Brembo master cylinder too! I just sold my RSV Factory which was dripping in Brembo and the brakes were amazing, these ones in comparison are scarily shit for a bike like this.

Edited by LEON

14 hours ago, Tony Harrison said:

Really liking the Goose, I love 1970s/80s/90s Japanese bikes, and that one looks really clean. Really really clean, in fact - did someone just keep it mint or has it been rebuilt?

I recently bought another NSR250 (with GSX forks as it happens) to do some track days. It has a V5 and daylight MOT too which is convenient ; )

It was built by a guy who knows his stuff from the bare frame up, MC21SP engine, dry clutch, rebuilt crank, only 2000km on the full engine rebuild, vapour blasted cases etc, aftermarket pipes, Tyga rearsets, really nice job he's made of it. I haven't actually ridden it yet.

nsr.jpg

Cheers, I bought the Goose pretty much as it stands but it started out the same as my original Goose here:

84C02A61-D51D-458F-8CF8-0B1EA39E6C56_zps

The main reason I bought it was because it had been painted and had a fair bit of money spent on it, could do with a rebuild again now though as I spent most of last year thrashing it on track haha. 

That is the perfect 2 stroke you've got there, exactly as I'd want one, full on race bike for the road! Bet it'll be mega to ride.

14 hours ago, LEON said:

Cheers! Yeah it's a K3, I was looking at K6/K7 750s, same model/look as your 600, as they were going for about £3600+ but in the end I gave in to power! It is stupidly fast, and stupidly loud, just how I like it! But I really don't need a bike that does 100mph in first gear, I don't think I've been out of 3rd gear yet....can't wait to take it to Brands Hatch though.

Definitely need your Brembo master cylinder too! I just sold my RSV Factory which was dripping in Brembo and the brakes were amazing, these ones in comparison are scarily shit for a bike like this.

Ahh very nice! Yeah the 750's are abit more expensive, the main reason I bought this in September last year rather than picking one up this spring was because of the price (£3.5k) and all the extras it came with, those are Brembo HPK discs aswell, £550 a set new... I'm liking the early big bikes like yours more and more as time goes on, just really like the looks of it. At the same time I do like the little touches on mine like the intergrated indicators, really cleans the back end of it up.

Yeah I waited until November and paid £2750! Luckily he had a kid and Christmas on the way so I pounced. I reckon I can get £3200 in summer easy, it's only done 15k. I was used to all the integrated indicators on my RSV, but the K5> 1000s were so much more money it just wasn't worth it, they were a minimum of £800/£1000 more for one in similar condition, plus they were all either bog standard or dropped, and I just think I prefer slightly older bikes cars, more character!

I definitely need some Brembo, found the same lever as yours for about £180 My brakes make a weird hissing noise, is that the sintered pads? Whatever's going on the brake's not good enough.

There's someone I know who has a 180bhp GSX 1000 and I just have no idea how I'd deal with that much power. He offered me the keys to try it but I turned them down! Still it's been interesting reading Guy Martin's autobiography and about how he got into racing. I wouldn't mind buying a GSX 600 or something similar but I'm not sure how long I'd last...

Meanwhile my other NSR is slowly coming together, however it'll be about 50-60bhp if I'm lucky, which makes it a toy compared to a big modern superbike!!

nsr-project.thumb.jpg.efee1cb24e0543f306

Yeah that NSR will corner better than any big four stroke. The bikes you have to work a little bit more are generally more fun. It's all good having ridiculous power but there's nowhere to use it. Mine's 158bhp at the wheel according to the dyno print out, but my 120 odd bhp RSVs are the most fun I've ever had. 

I had this VFR400 11 years ago! They're great but they've only got as much power as your NSR, with a lot more weight. Plus if you're anywhere near 6ft they're pretty small. Sound good with a loud can though! They do seem to cost a bit more these days too.

VFR81.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone got any good recommendations for insurers?

For my bike (that Honda NSR I posted a picture of a while back) Bikesure would only do third party only. MCE will do it fully comp and throw in track day cover. Just wondering if there are any other good companies to get quotes from.

• 3 weeks later...