The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

7 hours ago, kevind said:

DSC06074.JPG

Jeez, surely there's a better way to do that?!! 

For some reason I've decided that trying to turn my ER6 into a kind of Mad Max scrambler type thing would be a good idea... To that end I've got a pair of Metzeler Karoo 3's, 170 rear and 150(!) front. Think I may have to sack off the front and change it for a 130 though as I think I'll end up with like 4mm clearance either side on the forks (if I'm lucky) which I reckon won't pass an MOT and may be bloody dangerous... We'll see. I only paid £100 for the pair (brand new 170 retails at something like £180 and a part worn second hand 150) so not the end of the world if I have to mess about. Also spent a day at work welding up a tyre bead breaker so will be interesting to see if I can change the tyres myself!

960cf1b983a5249073f5101db9d6fe8c.thumb.jpg.8ae0d272288d7ea434895a3df402a9f8.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Jeez, surely there's a better way to do that?!! 

The pipe just exits to the LHS in front of the engine. Hand welded in titanium. He does that aspart of his business, so I suppose its just showing of his skill, Which is stunning? Loving your ER6 and maybe MOT will be a problem.

The big top fuel in the pic has 1200 to 1500 HP depending on tune. I have ridden bikes all my life and I think my small brain, would disconnect from my right hand if I sat on it.

960cf1b983a5249073f5101db9d6fe8c.thumb.jpg.8ae0d272288d7ea434895a3df402a9f8.jpg

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Had this 3 years now. Finally racing it tomorrow in a small Army competition on Salisbury Plain. Thinking of getting something newer if it ends up being fun and im any good.

The army used to have a 24 hour enduro competition/exercise somewhere down there, back when the army bikes were still about.

I'd like to try riding in an MX competition, but for me it'll probably be a pre-65 one this summer.

• Like 1

Ah f**k. http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15346623.Motorcyclist_taken_to_hospital_after_crash_on_A31/

2nd day riding the bike with the Karoo's on and someone cut me up on the A31 (I was doing about 70 in lane three, he dashed from lane 2-3 at about 10mph 50m ahead of me). Cue heavy braking, losing the front end and me and the bike skittering down lanes 3 and 4 at 40mph or so!! Thankfully the lady in the Insignia behind me stopped and didn't just run me over!

Yeah, very lucky really. They took me to hospital to carry out a couple of X-rays but as far as they can tell it's nothing more than some sprains and bruising. Could've been a lot worse! Got the bike back on Sunday and that's ont too bad either. The crash bungs on the frame, forks and swingarm did their jobs and apart from a small dent in the tank, slightly bent bars and a broken footpeg it's basically in one piece. 

It was a bit weird as the guy said he saw me but pulled out anyway. Says he was indicating (I didn't see but regardless if it's not safe to pull out then you obviously don't) and didn't I see him... Well I saw him after he bloody pulled out! I was in a high vis jacket too. Didn't think it would go through insurance but had a missed call today from LV following up a police report of a crash so I'm assuming that's as good as a claim anyway so not sure what to do now...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2017 at 7:18 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

It was a bit weird as the guy said he saw me but pulled out anyway. Says he was indicating (I didn't see but regardless if it's not safe to pull out then you obviously don't) and didn't I see him... Well I saw him after he bloody pulled out! I was in a high vis jacket too. Didn't think it would go through insurance but had a missed call today from LV following up a police report of a crash so I'm assuming that's as good as a claim anyway so not sure what to do now...

Nightmare, I've had a few moments like that but never actually been hit, so been pretty lucky really. Glad you're not too bashed up though.

This picture got taken of me at the last track day, I love it!

_DSC8336.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well after passing my theory a few months back I've been on the lookout for a 125 trail bike for bodding about on locally and using for work just to get some experience before I do my direct access on (and for a bit of light trail fun) but nothing came up at the right price so I sacked the idea off. Was all set for going straight into my DA once the kids were back at school but then a Honda XR 125 appeared on Facebook on Sunday 15mins away, went to have a look last night and put a deposit on it. 

It's a 55 plate and only done 5000 miles, just needs a chain and sprocket and an MOT though it should sail through. Only paid £700 as well so could easily get it on the road and sell on for a profit! 

20155814_1979847728707539_5942540696953006678_n.thumb.jpg.6c2ee780445eef7e02bc97830cffc3aa.jpg

• Like 2

I just bought a winter project, a 1965 249cc Greeves Challenger. Can't believe it's only now that I finally have a British bike (my others are Japanese).

Fun fact: in the desert scene in On Any Sunday, the 'Harley Davidson' that Mert Lawwill is riding is actually one of these (albeit it the 360cc version) with Harley stickers. Clearly Mert knew a decent scrambler when he saw one. Plan is to rebuild it over the next few months and then enter some pre-65 events next summer...

IMG_0193.JPG.89e9289260ded0592e0a8270500ba7fa.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Picking up my father in-laws 1999 Bandit 1200 tomorrow! He's owned it from new but it hasn't been used since about 2010. Less than 9000 miles on the clock! I feel like I'm getting my motorbike bug back again. I'll need some new leathers... any recommendations on a budget 2-piece suit?

Edited by David
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chickened out a little bit but might bite the bullet and chop the rear end over winter... Also got lazy and couldn't be bothered trying to fix then paint the tank so bought a (yellow) tank protector and sprayed it black with vinyl spray. Rest of the panels went matt black, fork gaiters added and headlight changed.

P1150131 (Large).JPG

P1150132 (Large).JPG

P1150135 (Large).JPG

• Like 1

Cheers, yeah it is, 2006. It's my fourth, I keep leaving them (crap electrics, poor battery life) but I always end up going back, it's much less comfy and more track focused than the GSXR, and in general just feels much more special. It's not as fast in a straight line obviously but that gets boring after a while. Japan make great bikes but all the inline fours feel the same when you've had a few, just pick your favourite colour. The Aprilia just feels unique, the power delivery, the tall seat height, narrow overall width. If you have a good battery and keep it on trickle charge you'll never have problems. But Italian electronics will never compare to Japanese.