The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

If I recall correctly the tests now are done on 500cc? (there was nothing but 125cc tests in '97) I would be inclined to do at least a day on one of the big bikes in order to get used to the bike before doing the test, you're obviously capable of riding it but what experience of stuff like diesel on a wet road have you got?

You can still do it on a 125cc, but you'd then be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. If you do it on a 500cc, then you get your full bike license.

Really? seeing a 16 year old on a Hayabusa would do nothing but scare the cr*p out of me.

Yeah, the only restriction is the same as your car licence over here; R plates for 1 year after passing which restrict you to 50mph whilst they're on. It seems ridiculous on paper, but you will never see a little kid on a 1000cc - the insurance is the big obstacle.

The 'craziest' I've seen is a 16/17 year old riding to 6th form on a R6 which is hardly a crazy proposition, made me jealous more than anything else!

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

The new rules about mods being banned will affect bikes, I think its the same law that will mean all engines are sealed and cannot be worked in at home at all. so normal maintenance will need to be done at the dealer/lbs which is bullshit

The new rules about mods being banned will affect bikes, I think its the same law that will mean all engines are sealed and cannot be worked in at home at all. so normal maintenance will need to be done at the dealer/lbs which is bullshit

That's more than bullshit, it'a an absolute atrocity.

Yes but is it actually going to happen this time, or is it just more scaremongering to put people off getting on the road? Every year there's another wave of "We're going to make life harder for you all, lol not really, was just an idea."

How do they plan to police whether I'm working on my own bike or not anyway? They have to somehow prove that I haven't done. Good luck with that.

Edited by Muel

Right settled my first problem riding nicely, Now just this final one then i will be happy :)

For example again im in town, Lets say a right angle but with a wide road, Im in gear 2, I cant slow the gear up slow enough to get around the corner comfortable, I will just end up slipping the clutch and half engaging it (Sometimes holding it in, Then releasing when i need the power) all the way around, And braking with the back brake when necessary.

I take it, This isn't the correct technique? Or should i just drop it down into first way before the corner and not slip the clutch?

Edited by trials owns

Seems like you're replying on slipping the clutch way too much- and coasting round a bend with the clutch right in is a definite no no. It sounds like you just need more confidence riding. First gear should only really be needed for pulling away and really tight turns (U-turns). I find on my er6 that first is so low that if I go from 2nd to first at anything above about walking pace that when I let the clutch out it's like throwing the brakes on.

For the sort of corner you describe, you should be able to roll through it in 2nd with minimal throttle but the clutch out. If you need practice, find a closed Tesco car park or something and just do a few laps heading up to a 90 degree bend, slowing up, getting the right gear and then committing to the turn and seeing it through. Lots of room to go a bit wide if you don't feel it to start with.

Cheers bud, Puts it into perspective a little more :). I never had to do any of this on my 125 i guess its just re-learning it again.

My er6 is struggling to put anything under 20ish mph without juddering (which is why i hold the clutch in) in gear 2, could this possibly be down to it being restricted to 33bhp? either way, Gear 2 low revs, No clutch sounds like the win.

I will give it more pratice tomorrow!

Ah, could be to do with the restriction I guess. The Er6's have always had a little bit of judder around the 3-4000 revs mark but it's just a characteristic that you get used to! With a new bike there is always a learning curve where you find out how it handles at different speeds and rev ranges but at the end of the day, with more time in the saddle you'll find what you find comfortable and ignore everyone else's advice!!

Having ridden the bike today for the first time in a couple of weeks, I retract my statement about speeds and gears. 20mph is definitely first gear territory, sorry about that! Bike flew through the MOT today although the guy reckons my headlight is shite- struggled to illuminate the board ~4m in from of the bike to check if the alignment and height was ok! Nevermind eh?!!

Having ridden the bike today for the first time in a couple of weeks, I retract my statement about speeds and gears. 20mph is definitely first gear territory, sorry about that! Bike flew through the MOT today although the guy reckons my headlight is shite- struggled to illuminate the board ~4m in from of the bike to check if the alignment and height was ok! Nevermind eh?!!

The lights on my Fazer were the same. paid £40 for a pair of Ultra Brilliance ones from Halfrauds and they are mental. Big difference.