Getcreative Video Competition *21/06/12 Update*

1a2bcio8

GETcreativeblogjpeg2.jpg

Hello and welcome to the GETcreative 'freetrials' video comp!

This introductory post should inform you of the general philosophy, ideas and rules governing the competition. If you'd prefer a very brief summary then head straight to the bottom otherwise please read on...

Any given action sports community is within a reciprocal relationship with the media it produces. Consequently, the more media that exists within a community, when produced with sincere and great effort, the more that community grows through both inspiration and an appreciation of what's possible. This is especially so because media offers a window into the efforts of others that would otherwise be inaccessible. We are, most of the time, separated by our residence in different towns, cities or countries. The more we are cut off from the efforts of others the more we are cut off from potential nourishment. Whomever would attempt trials riding without any contact, in any sense, with any other trials riders would be severely handicapped in their development. And the principle obviously applies in the opposite direction: whomever exposes themselves to the most amount of other riders and especially those whose riding comes from the greatest effort and sincerity will develop the most. This helps people make the greatest movement they can toward being their best; it aids the unfolding of their potential.

GETcreative then is based on a recognition of the value of a video culture within the trials community. Its aim is to hopefully encourage a more vibrant video culture which means a more vibrant riding culture. This is to be attempted through the incentives of various prizes and competition against one's peers.

Potentially this competition is of a somewhat contentious nature. Its direction within the trials community is toward those who are more inclined toward a creative style of riding. In other words, to use two generic terms, 'TGS' and 'competition trials' are unlikely to be successful within this competition. Despite this fact anyone is entitled to enter but the judging criteria is 'style', 'creativity' and 'video production' meaning that if you lack creativity you are definitely handicapped although obviously if both your style and video production achieved 10/10 you could potentially do well. Hopefully though this might encourage people who do ride in a certain style to maybe venture outside of it. It certainly doesn't matter what bike you ride as I can think of several individuals who ride very "trialsy" bikes in creative ways.

The competition will exist within two categories: 'novice' and 'sponsored'. This requires qualification. 'Novice' refers to people without any sponsorship although this is meant in a substantial sense. A 'substantial sense' refers to, as part of sponsorship, such things as having received either a reduction in parts, being given parts or being given clothing such that you are representative, in some sense, of a company. However, for instance, if you have only received something relatively minimal such as some brake pads or just a single t-shirt, you will be allowed to enter the novice category. Because the line between each category obviously isn't easily defined, if you think you sponsorship isn't 'substantial', we will require your contacting us (glasseyetrialscreative@gmail.com) to explain your exact situation so we can decide which category you will be allowed to enter.The 'sponsored' category then is obviously defined by 'substantial' sponsorship.

The aim of the competition is more towards the novice category and the prizes from sponsors so far are for that category. Inspired, Tartybikes, Phoenix Riders Co and Tribalzine are all contributors. Exactly what is being contributed is somewhat unclear in some regards although we can say that there are a lot of prizes and potentially some very substantial ones. They are certainly well in excess of prior video competitions. Furthermore, there will be enough prizes to ensure that lots of people will find themselves rewarded for participating. Although we want to reward what we judge to be the 'best' overall, we also want to reward other kinds of sincere effort. To make this clear, being the 'best' over other people isn't what this competition is all about. It is about encouraging you to achieve your own personal best which we will do our best to recognise and hopefully reward. That being said, the most significant prizes will go to 1st, 2nd and 3rd, with secondary level prizes for 'biggest move' and 'best overall move'. There will also be a prize for best photo that expresses something of the nature of the competition. As soon as the definite details of prizes for the novice category are known we will let you know.

Prizes for the sponsored category will be sought after this announcement. We wanted to approach additional, less partisan sponsors, with something a bit more concrete such as the existence of a Facebook page, blog, etc. and some clear interest from the community. However, since the prizes from sponsors toward the novice category have exceeded expectations this has freed up the money I was personally going to commit to the novice category. Consequently, at the very least, if no sponsorship is achieved, there will be £100 for 1st place. Hopefully though we will be able to find money for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize beginning with more money for 1st place. If this does fail I hope that out of a sense of community the riders of this category will get involved even if the prizes aren't as good as the novice category. Perhaps if there are any sponsors reading this you might push your riders to get involved. Furthermore, if anyone can either suggest or is in contact with a possible sponsor willing to offer cash prizes then please contact me (glasseyetrialscreative@gmail.com).

In terms of judging this will not be a public event. We have already selected and are in the process of selecting more judges that so far include myself, Mark Westlake, Inspired and Phoenix Riders Co. Judges for the different categories will also differ so that we don't have any potential issues regarding bias toward sponsored riders. Although this is probably an inescapable problem we should do our best to minimize it. We are choosing to avoid a public vote because it is common for people to simply vote for their friends or even to get friends from outside the community to vote for friends within. Although such sentiment has it's virtue this competition is about merit and we feel that a select group of judges are better placed to achieve an assessment of this.

The competition will be run from:

http://glasseyetrial....blogspot.co.uk

http://www.facebook....etrialscreative

When you have completed a video you will be expected to contact us (glasseyetrialscreative@gmail.com) with a link to your video. Either Vimeo or Youtube is acceptable. It might even be a good idea to do both with each containing a link to the other in order to improve accessibility. We'll place your video up on both of these sites for people to see.

The dates of the competition is from now until the 31st of August. Judging will occur within the first week of September.

Although we certainly have some ideas about what we think is best for a video competition we don't want to impose a structure that nobody likes. Certain things may be open to change so feel free to get in contact with any suggestions or improvements. The window for change will only be for a week or two however because beyond that it becomes unfair to people who adopt a certain approach only for it to become invalid.

So to recap and slightly extend on some of the essential features of the comp:

Competition dates

- begins now

- ends 31st August

- judged in the first week of September

Criteria for Judging

- style: the aesthetic of how you ride, smoothness, flair, ease, control, etc.

- creativity: originality, novelty, variation, etc.

- video production: filming, editing, music selection, etc. (I will qualify all of this in a separate piece in the next few days as this is less self evident than the other two criteria)

Novice Category (prizes for)

- 1st, 2nd, 3rd,

- Biggest move/line, most tech move/line,

- Best photo that communicates sense of competition

Novice Category Prizes (Inspired, Tartybikes, Phoenix Riders Co, Tribalzine)

- Parts, Clothing, Vouchers (better details to follow)

- Sponsored Category (hopefully subject to change/improvement)

1st (£100)

I think that's about it for now. Again, some feedback would be awesome and a sense of who's interested. Good luck to those who are!

Edited by Ben Rowlands
  • Like 7

Great idea and good to see you dedicating your time to it, these things take a lot of effort to organise (Y)

My main though is: who will be judging the videos?

We're doing pretty well in PayPal terms at the moment, so we (Trials-Forum) would be happy to donate some vouchers or something as one of the prizes. I should probably check with Danny first, but I'm sure he'll be fine with it :P

That would be amazing Tom, thanks. Would you mind if the money went toward the sponsored category?

Regarding the judging, for the novice category at least, myself, Mark Westlake, Inspired and Phoenix Riders Co will be judging. I will get some more people on board as well as I think this hopefully evens things up a bit better.

I have to admit to being somewhat stuck with the judging with regards to the sponsored category. At first I thought about a public vote but, to be perfectly honest, having seen the way most people behave toward polls I feel it would be even less honest than having Inspired judge a category that contained Inspired riders. Which isn't to say anything about the honesty of Inspired, who I believe to be very honest people, but I mean to illustrate that it simply wouldn't be fair idea and I think a public vote is even less fair when given some thought. Probably I'll have to choose people with the least amount of affiliation and whom seem to have lots of integrity :P

Hmmm, that's a difficult one. In one sense I would like to give everyone the opportunity to be involved but, at the same time, I don't want people simply rehashing what they've already done. The impetus is supposed to be toward new intensive and creative action.

I guess I could make exceptions based on extenuating circumstances. I'll give you a tentative 'yes' for now.

If others have a similar problem then please get in contact to ask me about it (glasseyetrialscreative@gmail.com).

• Like 1

I've been waiting a while aready to start filming my next video so I'm even more excited about starting it now.

Best photo that communicates sense of competition
What do you mean by this?

Its great to see someone putting in the time to do something like this (Y)

I'm glad you're interested Calops (Y)

Regarding the photo, I was deliberately leaving this vague. I just want to see what people can come up with; it just has to do with the fact you are filming your riding. I guess you could capture concentration, frustration, enjoyment, crashing, whatever really. It just has to revolve around the act. I'm particularly after people getting photos of themselves up on facebook just to support a sense of what's going down. I feel an additional stream of something beyond the videos would be good for people's motivation and even bit fun. It's also another way for people to access prizes.

I hope that helps...

• Like 1

That would be amazing Tom, thanks. Would you mind if the money went toward the sponsored category?

I'm not fussed personally, as long as the money gets recycled back into the community somehow I'm happy to leave the decision with you :) I'll double check with Danny and get a PM to you soon.

I have to admit to being somewhat stuck with the judging with regards to the sponsored category. At first I thought about a public vote but, to be perfectly honest, having seen the way most people behave toward polls I feel it would be even less honest than having Inspired judge a category that contained Inspired riders. Which isn't to say anything about the honesty of Inspired, who I believe to be very honest people, but I mean to illustrate that it simply wouldn't be fair idea and I think a public vote is even less fair when given some thought. Probably I'll have to choose people with the least amount of affiliation and whom seem to have lots of integrity :P

Its a tricky situation.. most people are affiliated in some way to someone. I'm sure you'll figure out a fair way!

Yea it would kind of defy the thought behind the competition so I'll just leave it. I'd rushed to reply since I in a bad mood about my injury then came on here and saw another thing I was going to miss out on, bit I'm looking forward to see all the efforts that everyone else puts into it, even if I can't be part of the fun :P

I'm saying though that what you've asked would probably be okay but that sort of thing I'd judge on a case by case situation. So feel free to make a video and enter it. Alternatively, film a friend?

You've made me realise that I need to specify the rules toward new footage though so thanks! :)

This is absolutely brilliant, Ben. A fantastic contribution to the 'freetrials' community and a really exciting challenge for us to get involved with. I really hope loads of people get on board with this, I'm expecting some really exciting results from everyone.. I'm sure the prizes should motivate people to pull their fingers out :P

I can't wait to get cracking on my entry :)

• Like 1

I've been waiting a while aready to start filming my next video so I'm even more excited about starting it now.

Its great to see someone putting in the time to do something like this (Y)

Hey, cool, I was just thinking about fiddling with video this summer... is there a category for senior riders? :-

Considering the length of time here for making a video I am pretty sure I will be editing a video for this.

I'd be happy to nominate myself as a judge also should you be looking for some assistance Ben, not really sure what criteria you are looking for as a judge, maybe I'm offering as I don't think I stand a chance against the others in there haha

Considering the length of time here for making a video I am pretty sure I will be editing a video for this.

I'd be happy to nominate myself as a judge also should you be looking for some assistance Ben, not really sure what criteria you are looking for as a judge, maybe I'm offering as I don't think I stand a chance against the others in there haha

Who cares. Just do it. I don't think me, a handy cam, and tripod are going to compare against certain individuals who have vast amounts of filming knowledge and equipment.

Same applies to everyone else with an excuse.

• Like 1

I'm after people who value creativity in the way they ride and you certainly seem that way so if you'd like to be a judge then I'm definitely up for that. I was kind of planning to pick more judges in the coming weeks after I've got beyond all the initial promotional and structural aspects of the comp. This whole thing is a bit more intense and time consuming than I was expecting.

I'm glad to hear you're getting involved though. I always enjoy your videos (Y)

• 2 weeks later...

Rules, Prize and Entrant update on the blog

Entrants must now contact me at glasseyetrialscreative@gmail.com with specific details (see blog) if they wish to participate within the competition. There is a closing date.

Next week there should be an update with advice on how to approach the filming/editing side of the competition. Also the details of Inspired prizes will hopefully be listed.

• Like 1

Rules, Prize and Entrant update on the blog

Entrants must now contact me at glasseyetrialscreative@gmail.com with specific details (see blog) if they wish to participate within the competition. There is a closing date.

Next week there should be an update with advice on how to approach the filming/editing side of the competition. Also the details of Inspired prizes will hopefully be listed.

OK, so for participants, should the video be sent out exclusively to you for submission (with no public release prior to the end of this competition), or could it also be publicly released before the 31st August deadline?

Judging question, how will the music be judged? I know this is probably a tricky one but is it more to do with the quality of the song or more in terms of how it works with in the context of the video? I imagine it'll be hard to judge since judges will have their personal preferences. Should I be studying judges videos to guarantee they'll hear a song they'll like? :P