Getcreative Video Comp *results!*

1a2bcio8

Quick question I should get my new video on tf sometime in July would I be allowed to use the same 1 to enter this if so count me in and I shall get details to you

Thanks

Yeah just use that one as your entry. You need to email me about your participation and then email me when your video is ready.

As soon as I saw your name I realised I posted you in the wrong category.

How do you mean though, Steve?

The trouble might be that I used images of writing from photoshop to constitute the blog rather than the standard method. Presumably this would interfere with what you mean?

Just watched the first novice rider's video, but it has confused me :S This is not a trials video competition but a general riding video competition or is it? :(

It might have served you to have read the information available about the ethos of the competition. I've called it a 'freetrials' competition because it has some grounding within trials but isn't closed from combining traditional or 'pure' trials with whatever other styles one wants to also use. You are less likely to do well in this competition if what you produce amounts to TGS or a competition. You are more likely to do well if you generate some unexpected or original approaches, within your skill set, toward the objects you ride regardless of whether you only use 'pure' moves or include 'bmx' moves. Jack Meek and Stan Shaw are good examples of riders that create interesting lines that are mostly or entirely constituted by 'pure' trials moves. Imagination, within certain limits, is the key...

I'm uninterested in debating about this as the general arguments regarding the definition of what is 'trials' I find rather boring and of no utility.

• Like 1

It might have served you to have read the information available about the ethos of the competition. I've called it a 'freetrials' competition because it has some grounding within trials but isn't closed from combining traditional or 'pure' trials with whatever other styles one wants to also use. You are less likely to do well in this competition if what you produce amounts to TGS or a competition. You are more likely to do well if you generate some unexpected or original approaches, within your skill set, toward the objects you ride regardless of whether you only use 'pure' moves or include 'bmx' moves. Jack Meek and Stan Shaw are good examples of riders that create interesting lines that are mostly or entirely constituted by 'pure' trials moves. Imagination, within certain limits, is the key...

I'm uninterested in debating about this as the general arguments regarding the definition of what is 'trials' I find rather boring and of no utility.

I read all of the information a couple of weeks ago when you first announced the comp, but obviously I have forgotten it :( Sorry about that. I enjoyed the creativity of that guys video, but couldn't help think he included too many dabs in his lines. Big ups to you for remaining impartial though :)

I read all of the information a couple of weeks ago when you first announced the comp, but obviously I have forgotten it :( Sorry about that. I enjoyed the creativity of that guys video, but couldn't help think he included too many dabs in his lines. Big ups to you for remaining impartial though :)

Sorry if I was a bit short with you. I was hungover yesterday (N)

If you feel somebody has lacked in some sense, in a way that perhaps they could have improved by spending more time on a line, then perhaps this will show up in the judging. Realistically though, people aren't going to be able to create perfect videos. We hope that the incentives of the competition will push people to strive for their own personal perfection but, at the same time, nobody can ever really achieve it. Ultimately it's the striving that matters.

• Like 1

I love the idea behind this comp and the backing it's been given. Really gonna try and push myself to get some half decent footage and gonna have to face the inevitability of some pain along the way though I think the biggest challenge I'll face is filming a streety trials vid on my own with the camera static. Already got a few places I've ridden before and some new ones in mind.

Email sent.

EDIT: just to confirm though:

Name: Cai Evans.

Years riding: 4 years and 10 months, will be 5 years at the time of the competition deadline.

Sponsors: None.

​Category: Novice.

Cheers (Y)

Edited by cai

Watched first vid posted, no offence to rider but that was in no way a trials vid.

It was creative and preformed on a trials bike so it fits the criteria of this competition. It's a shame that your too narrow minded to accept that his style of riding is 'trials'.

• Like 1

Watched first vid posted, no offence to rider but that was in no way a trials vid.

This is the last occasion I will respond to dogma. The competition is not conditioned to satisfy your subjective view of what trials 'is'. If you read the rules, they specify that a trials bike is required but the manner in which it is used is 'free'; thus, also, the name 'freetrials' competition. Both a 'pure' trials rider and a 'free' trials rider can be rewarded within this competition provided they create a video that is 'creative' and 'stylistic', in some sense, within their capabilities.

If people wish to criticise the competition (which is implied by your post even if it wasn't stated explicitly) then I encourage them to do so but it needs to be within areas that are actually debatable. The competition has certain fundamentals which are not open to debate. It is not being run to satisfy everybody's approach to riding a trials bike. I suggest spending time actually understanding the nature of the competition by reading the blog before possibly wasting time making statements that have little meaning to the competition.

I feel I need to be stern about this otherwise it's probably just going to keep happening.

Edit: also, sorry for not having responded to people's emails. I will get on this very soon. I've just been extremely busy.

Edited by Ben Rowlands
  • Like 7

I'm not trying to undermine the competition and I can appreciate the time and effort put in to making the videos. I understand the competition fully but if you put the likes of mark Webb on a trials bike and he made one of his videos on a trials bike it does not make it trials, or put Danny hart on a trials bike doing down hill on it would you class that as trials or downhill? That is not narrow minded to say that. Yes both cases follows the rules to this comp but then takes away the trials side and then might as well be open to any kind of bikes as Chris akrigg is a good example of using various styles of bikes to do trials on. I have a lot of respect for both styles of riders and think that competitions like this are a vital necessity to push people to strive for greatness I'm sorry if there was any offence in my post I did enjoy the vid and i dont want to take away anything from the lad and wish everyone luck who enters.

Edited by Stebass

I'm not trying to undermine the competition and I can appreciate the time and effort put in to making the videos. I understand the competition fully but if you put the likes of mark Webb on a trials bike and he made one of his videos on a trials bike it does not make it trials, or put Danny hart on a trials bike doing down hill on it would you class that as trials or downhill? That is not narrow minded to say that. I have a lot of respect for both styles of riders and think that competitions like this are a vital necessity to push people to strive for greatness I'm sorry if there was any offence in my post I did enjoy the vid and i dont want to take away anything from the lad and wish everyone luck who enters.

Because the judges will represent a range of approaches then, say, if Mark Webb entered on a trials bike, he would probably fare less well. Individuals who mix it up the most are more likely to do well. It's up to people what they do on their trials bike though. The judges have criteria to make decisions by but they will ultimately do it in a subjective way.

You haven't caused offence. I'm just not into this whole need to classify things rigidly. What does it serve? It serves something in the context of a competition but we've already done that and aren't it need of any further clarification. And if you want to get precise, competition trials doesn't state anything against, for example, using bmx moves in a section. It remains completely open. It probably isn't useful to x-up in a section but it doesn't disqualify you as breaching the trial. You can narrow down the meaning if you want, but again, what does this serve? Mostly it seems to serve people's need to feel separate or have a problem with what other people are doing. I'd be curious to know the psychology underpinning it.

• Like 1