Cad Thread

SunnyBoy

Hi all,

I thought it might be a cool idea to start a CAD thread for any designers or engineers on here that want to post any bike related part designs they've modelled for feedback and advice.

I've been messing about with a few ideas for bits and bobs on SolidWorks just for practice sake, so it'd be nice to see what others on here have come up with.

Anyone interested?

Jack

I've just whipped up a quick brake booster to get things going, not the most aesthetically pleasing piece of work but it'd do the trick ;).

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8868/brakebooster.jpg

I'm in the process of knocking up a stock frame but the CNC'd dropouts are giving me some trouble.... it's a pain not having anything to physically measure.

Any suggestions about features that could be added?

Jack

Edited by SunnyBoy

• 3 weeks later...

I've been designing some stuff in a beta version of autodesk, but I can't find anyone to cut the parts for a resonable (or affordable) price.

Does anybody know of a place that doesn't charge a fortune for a simple part?

I'm guessing that all of the cnc mills that cut aluminum cost well over $1000? I guess that would be about 646 bdp.

Edited by Nannerman

Could ask a university or college? Will still cost quite a bit though!

I'm struggling to think of anything useful to design. I really want to come up with something that has never been done before.

Edit: Has anyone used Creo? I tried to learn it but it's so different from the old Pro Engineer packages that I'm used to. Currently downloading Solidworks, again.

Edited by Pete.M

Is solidworks really worth paying for when it's just going to expire in a year? I guess if I really get going with this 3d stuff I might get it. I should be taking a CAD class in highschool next year, so I should be able to see what they use.

I think I finally found someone to cut my prototype part. I'll get a picture of it on here when its cut.

Today I've got some free time, so I'll try and make a v booster and bash ring.

I've just whipped up a quick brake booster to get things going, not the most aesthetically pleasing piece of work but it'd do the trick ;).

http://img7.imagesha...rakebooster.jpg

I'm in the process of knocking up a stock frame but the CNC'd dropouts are giving me some trouble.... it's a pain not having anything to physically measure.

Any suggestions about features that could be added?

Jack

What do you need to have measured? I could probobly help you out there.

Do you own a cnc machine?

Is solidworks really worth paying for when it's just going to expire in a year?

What do you need to have measured? I could probobly help you out there.

Do you own a cnc machine?

I managed to get a copy of Solidworks free with my university, although it is the '10 version at the moment. It's definitely worth getting a copy at home when you're doing a CAD subject - helps no end. Also worth getting a rendering software as well to give the parts a nice finish.

I'm just using a rough engineering drawing to get some measurements for the stock frame, however it only shows side dimensions so the chainstays are a pain.

And no, I've not got access to a CNC machine at the moment :(.

A couple more things I've done recently for shits and giggles:

ps1controller.jpg

guitar1h.jpg

scope2u.jpg

shocko.jpg

Edited by SunnyBoy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sunny, those are some incredible renderings. How are you getting on with the bike frame?

I've just modelled this 24", chainstays/rear triangle and dropouts look a bit dodgy but overall I'm pretty happy. Some rough geo: 72 head angle, 30mm bb rise, 365mm chainstays.

Ignore the hub, I just put it there to help me.

All sorts of feedback welcome, cheers.

post-29859-0-54263200-1342752393_thumb.j

post-29859-0-81173100-1342752408_thumb.j

post-29859-0-69144000-1342752429_thumb.j

post-29859-0-25264600-1342752445_thumb.j

Sunny, those are some incredible renderings. How are you getting on with the bike frame?

Just putting a few finishing touches to the chainstays - just trying to get some lofts that look half decent :P I'll post it as soon as it's rendered.

Loving the 24" frame, looks nice and streety, I'm assuming it's designed for manufacture with steel.

Cheers, yeah it was kinda designed with steel in mind although I didn't pay a lot of attention to that. The thicknesses and such are not accurate.

It appears I've forgotten brake mounts, so I'll do them, redesign the chainstays and dropouts and try to get correct thicknesses etc.

It would be cool to build an entire bike on CAD but it would also be such a mega time consuming project, for me anyway.

Looking forward to seeing your frame. pretty sure it's gonna blow mine away! :P

Well, I've got the bulk of it done and rendered now, missing out the brake mounts as well :P Might add some disc mounts at some point. Chainstays were being awkward with such weird geometries and lofts. Here we are:

frame1o.jpg

frame2l.jpg

frame3h.jpg

And some nice blue paint :P

frame4c.jpg

I wanted something that looks pretty original, hence the weird seatpost and chainstays :P.

Edited by SunnyBoy
  • Like 1

It would be cool to build an entire bike on CAD but it would also be such a mega time consuming project, for me anyway.

I know what you mean, although I've got plenty of time this summer so I may get round to it. Wheels and tyres are usually the most time consuming parts - but I'd probably leave the wheels unlaced to save time.

That is awesome! Love the weird seatpost and chainstays especially. Well done with the variable geometry sweeps etc, I don't even know how to do them yet!

My thoughts exactly, I can't think of a fast way of making a wheel including spokes, so they would have to be left out. As for tyres, I probably wouldn't bother with much detail, a circular black shape would do for me!

What rendering software do you use? I've never looked into rendering before....

Edited by Pete.M

That is awesome! Love the weird seatpost and chainstays especially. Well done with the variable geometry sweeps etc, I don't even know how to do them yet!

My thoughts exactly, I can't think of a fast way of making a wheel including spokes, so they would have to be left out. As for tyres, I probably wouldn't bother with much detail, a circular black shape would do for me!

What rendering software do you use? I've never looked into rendering before....

I use a package called Photoview which comes with Solidworks which is pretty impressive and really user friendly.

You can do spokes using a ball and socket type mate at the rim where the nipple would normally go. That way you can pivot the spoke about to perfectly align with the hub holes - but it's massively annoying to do and needs matching measurements.

The sweeps aren't too bad to do, I normally do a 3D sketch between several pre-defined points or faces and then create a plane / sketch on that line. Then along that line create maybe 3-4 separate profiles for the sweep / loft to follow. It's quite easy to practice on a straight line at first - then try it along a splined path.

• Like 1

There was someone, probably last year or maybe the year before, who did an entire bike in CAD. It was freakin' awesome. Can't find a link for you though... I think that he was actually linking out to another forum from here.

Hate that XD Used to get it loads when I was doing stress analysis using ANSYS - complete arse of a program. I just experienced my first Solidworks crash in a while, it really isn't liking the assembly model :P

I'm pretty addicted to getting this model done now so I've made a fair bit of progress - I'm shattered now though so I'll start up fresh tomorrow or something, last update of the night:

frame2nd3.jpg

frame2nd.jpg

frame2nd2.jpg

Edited by SunnyBoy

Been busy so not much progress - got the pedals, grips and a few bolts done today. Got to tackle the forks now....maybe some nice carbon ones...

Nannerman - how are the snail cams coming along? Got any piccys?

Update:

frame3rd2.jpg

Edited by SunnyBoy
  • Like 1