Cad Thread

SunnyBoy

Cheers, the stem isn't based on anything in particular, but some of the design ideas came from the one on my bike as well as a hope stem I was looking at on tarty.

I should probably get out in the sun, it won't be there for long! Interested to see how you make the tread on the tyres, I can't get my head around that one. Also the cable routing, I think it's possible in Wildfire but it looks hard!

I finished my bashring. Now, to send it to the cnc guy I need to make it into a .DXF file. Any idea how to change a .123d, .DWG, or a .BAK file into a .DXF? Any good file converters, or ones that aren't off of sketchy sites?

Snail cams should be here soon......

The 2 bikes are coming out well. I like the forks on the 24".

Edited by Nannerman

I finished my bashring. Now, to send it to the cnc guy I need to make it into a .DXF file. Any idea how to change a .123d, .DWG, or a .BAK file into a .DXF? Any good file converters, or ones that aren't off of sketchy sites?

Is there not an export / save as function on the program you're using?

I still haven't got a better program, so my free autodesk only seems to save .123d (same as .dwg) and .bak files. I somehow saved my snail cams as a .dxf, but I think when I re-installed the program they had updated it and got rid of that feature.

Very nice, especially that lever! What college course was that!? Looks like my sort of course :P

I love how you got to make some of that stuff, looks sooo much fun.

I've had the chance to do a few bits here and there at university but it's at such a low level it's not much at all so I've had to keep myself busy with my own projects. Do you get to use ANSYS or other FEA programs much, or just the Solidworks packages?

It'd be awesome to get a CNC machine and some welding gear and churn off some parts!

Yeh i was quite happy with that... i managed to animate it as well in the end. Was National Diploma Engineering

Was great, really enjoyed all the machining... hopefully get into a bit of that at my new job if possible, we've got some really nice CNC kit.

Ive only used FEA off my own back when ive been bored, seems very interesting though! Im looking down the flow analysis route for work though, to calculate pressures / flow rates etc. Now its just solidworks Pro.

Definitely! Thats the plan if i ever get enough dolla together :)

Add me to facebook mate

I'd like to do a bit more machining - I've done some path programming for CNC machines on simpler designs and definitely seems like the sort of thing I could get into.

I've got a friend work for a pneumatic / hydrolic company at the moment and he's enjoying the design work. I'm starting a PhD at Oxford this September but it's not really the sort of course I get to use any design packages on :(, at lot of ANSYS and fluid flow stuff I think though.

There's about 3 billion Alex Darks on Facebook :P What profile pic am I looking for?

Just got round to adding some tread on the rear tyre. It looks a bit square for my liking but my computer was struggling so much I couldn't really add any chamfers or filleting unless it died completely :blink: Took 40 minutes to render on a mediocre setting...Not amused :P

frame8th1.jpg

Edited by SunnyBoy
  • Like 1

Both treads done, can't be bothered to render right now. Only planning to do the chain now...although last one I did put a lot of strain on my computer, so I don't know if I can really justify doing one. I'll do some maximum quality renders at some point as well when I've got several hours free :P Anyone got some ideas on a better colour scheme?

bikecomplete.png

Edited by SunnyBoy

Can't suggest anything better for the colour scheme, very nice. I'd love to know how you created the tread, but if it's hard to explain then no worries!

Good luck with the chain, I can't imagine how you'd place a chain in the assembly. :S

I was thinking maybe a green / polished colour scheme. Or maybe a blue frame with black / silver components...guess I'll have a play.

I had to think for a while how to do the tread. Finally figured it though :P

Create the main tyre profile and rotate about a central line

Create a larger body offset from the tyre profile by a few millimetres

Create a plane/ sketch in the centre of the tyre profile

Draw the tread sketch on that plane and extrude to the surface on the larger body (gives it a curved appearance)

Either hide or rotate a cut to get rid of the larger body to leave the tread.

Bit of a painful process with a slow computer but I don't think it came out too badly.

Some how I'd need to perfectly match the chain to the front + rear sprocket and also chainstay length. Or give the chain links a certain amount of tolerance to bend about a bit for fitting.

• Like 1

Green and polished sounds lush. Thanks for the explanation. Did you first create one little section of tread and then mirror it a number of times around the central axis?

Yeah, I think I mirrored it 60 times on the rear and 45 on the front

Well I got round to doing a few renders...5 hours worth... :mellow: . Changed the red to green, but used the wrong lighting on the first so the green turned grey :(

Also added a small frame name - 'Weaver' - hard to see though!

frame9th2.jpg

frame9th1.jpg

Edited by SunnyBoy
  • Like 1

Finally got round to doing some more stuff. There's some dodgy dimensions going on here but lets ignore that! The cranks look a bit fat, mostly because everything else was designed overly thin. I realise that the bb isn't very accurate, and there's too many teeth on the freewheel, but I'm not too bothered about these things. Continuing with the purpley white colour scheme for the time being but I'm not sure what I think about white cranks...

post-29859-0-85982100-1344387981_thumb.j

post-29859-0-81827400-1344387990_thumb.j

post-29859-0-46513700-1344388002_thumb.j

Nice! Cranks look like they've got a pretty nice profile. Pedals are pretty sweet as well. I'm considering putting a full bash ring onto my model, although other than that there's not much more I can add - my computer can't take much more and it already takes several hours to render anything :P

I'm tempted to make a street orientated frame, possibly with Inspired like geometry. Then I get the fun of modelling a seat >_<

Some sort of alu street frame would be cool to see, a seat would be easier if pro eng would work the way I want it to! The swept blend tool only let's me create same profile sections, whereas I thought the whole point of blend was to enable you to go from one shape of profile to another. I need to watch some more tutorials to see what's possible.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

This is a huge bump so I don't know if you'll see it, but I got the snail cams machined! I actually did quite a while ago but I haven't had time to post it. How do I attach a picture?

Anyway, I just sent the file out to the laser cutter. One more prototype run, then I'll be doing a production run and hopefully sell them to get money for solidworks.

Hopefully it all works out.

Nice, hope you earn some money off them. To attach a picture you have to click "More Reply Options" below, then look below the text box and there's a thing there to upload attachments.

I haven't made any progress on my streety bike, I don't really have the time now that uni has started again. :(

Edited by Pete.M