Single Speed / Fixed Gear (Road/track Bikes)

Jake.

This is my fixie

sn1gs3.jpg

started off as a 1984 Orbit touring frame (Reynolds 531). I cut the bottom of the dropouts off and welded them back on so they faced the correct way, got rid of the gear bosses and seatstay bridge. Not so keen on the cranks but the whole thing was bit of a budget build.

• Like 2

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh I hate fixies with coloured tyres, stems, bars, seatposts..... :sick: :sick:

:sick:

Carls got the right idea so far, apart from the saddle seems real low! Carl, that looks like a comfy setup. Can't imagine you'd be able to sprint fast on it though, maybe try a shorter stem if you want to sprint more. And if you can be bothered... Get a frame with a shorter headtube, does wonders for sprinting.

Sorry I'm rambling on...

Edited by JMCD

im new to the fixie thing so what the best way to set up your bike for speed ?

Slacken the chain too, if it's too tight it creates more resistance unless you're on a single speed it won't matter as much. Run that stem upside down, get a more aggressive angle (don't do this if you're not doing quick town sprints, it hurts your back like hell). Gearing isn't a massive issue, it all depends where you live, I live in a hilly area and run 48-18, I used to run 48-15 when I was stronger but I prefer 48-15 now that I can coast easily on a fixed, it's much better for hills.

I think the frame is just too big for me.

What size is it, and how tall are you?

Edited by JMCD

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh I hate fixies with coloured tyres, stems, bars, seatposts..... :sick: :sick:

:sick:

haha yeah it's a bit Marmite, I don't really know why I like it but I do....perhaps I just like the general shape of my bike rather than the colour but I think it works overall.

Can't say I'm into Bull horn or drop bars though, I've got 3" riser bars and it still feels low and long....feels like I'm holding a pushup for the entire ride and my arms ache like hell.

I don't really mind yours Ali as the bike is so orange anyways orange tires don't really look odd on it if you get me.

I tried TT highrisers on mine for one ride and it felt awful. Didn't feel right at all. Picked those bull horns up on ebay for £20.

I like there is lots of positions for my lame wrists.

Edited by CalopS

haha yeah it's a bit Marmite, I don't really know why I like it but I do....perhaps I just like the general shape of my bike rather than the colour but I think it works overall.

Can't say I'm into Bull horn or drop bars though, I've got 3" riser bars and it still feels low and long....feels like I'm holding a pushup for the entire ride and my arms ache like hell.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0037/3982/products/cinellipepperbar_grande.jpg?583

Riding bars like this on a fixed make the ride so much different, I didn't do it for long as I did it with flat bars cut down.. My thumbs were on the stem which was a bit extreme, those bars look pretty nice to use.

Long bars on fixies just makes it a pain getting through traffic, I find it hard to sprint on them too especially when you're leaning forward pushing your hips down on the stem.

Just my opinion, I'm sure it's comfy but way too much rise and length for me haha. :D

ah yeah, if I rode in traffic I would be cutting them down, but as it is now if feels really nice to blast down the promenade in Blackpool. Kinda tempted to cut them down anyway but I'm pretty lazy when it comes to things like that everything

My Granda gave me an old bike to put on eBay to go towards the up keep of his local church, but I'm half tempted to keep it myself for the daily commute to work, turn it into a fixie, and save petrol over the summer. fully kitted out with mudguards and the lot. Or if anyone wants a project im willing to ship. and the donations will go the Church. any takers? Ill get some snaps tomorrow.

My Granda gave me an old bike to put on eBay to go towards the up keep of his local church, but I'm half tempted to keep it myself for the daily commute to work, turn it into a fixie, and save petrol over the summer. fully kitted out with mudguards and the lot. Or if anyone wants a project im willing to ship. and the donations will go the Church. any takers? Ill get some snaps tomorrow.

Go on get some pics :P

• 2 weeks later...

Just a question, I may have been overly critical of fixies in the past, but upon reading this topic its looks kinda cool. I'm a full roadie though, 2x10 and full tiagra group, bla bla. Do people run freewheels on the rear, or is it all truly solid? Just wondering like

Just a question, I may have been overly critical of fixies in the past, but upon reading this topic its looks kinda cool. I'm a full roadie though, 2x10 and full tiagra group, bla bla. Do people run freewheels on the rear, or is it all truly solid? Just wondering like

It's either one of the following... Rear fixed hub with 2 sides to screw on sprockets which is usually a freewheel on one side and a fixed sprocket on the other or two fixed sprockets.

2nd option is a free hub on the rear.

People tend to run 2 brakes with a single speed and just a front brake with fixed gear.