Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

I am pretty happy with the rest of the system, just struggles with more recent games at 1980 x 1080 at high settings.

I don't know if I should sell my old parts while they are still worth something or just save up a bit more and build a whole new system.

• 8 months later...

Bit of a massive bump.

Took my computer apart after needing to clean it for several months (have a massive dust issue in my room/house).

Looking into adding more fans, however wanting to keep it as quiet as possible. Its a HAF 932 case, so cooling isn't much of an issue, but selecting the right fans/ fan speed is.

So instead of using resistors, I was looking into fan controllers. I like the look of the Gelid speedtouch 6, but looks like its not going to be out for a while.

So any of you used fan controllers? Pro's/cons for models?

Actually I am using my onboard fan controller, it is an Asus motherboard I can control 4 fan rather well

At the moment I have a new built

AMD Fx 8320 (still stock)

ASUS M5A97 EVO (8+2 Digital powerphase)

AMD HD 7770 ( I am waiting for Maxwell)

1 TB seagate HDD 7.200 rpm 64MB cache

8 Gb Corsair Vengeance at 1.333 mhz( because of XMP)

noname 550W PSU

Changes in few weeks:

CNPS11X extreme cooler, stock cooler is really loud

120 GB V300 SSDnow

XFX 550W PSU

OC for both my card and CPU but first I need cooling and good power

Actually I am using my onboard fan controller, it is an Asus motherboard I can control 4 fan rather well

At the moment I have a new built

AMD Fx 8320 (still stock)

ASUS M5A97 EVO (8+2 Digital powerphase)

AMD HD 7770 ( I am waiting for Maxwell)

1 TB seagate HDD 7.200 rpm 64MB cache

8 Gb Corsair Vengeance at 1.333 mhz( because of XMP)

noname 550W PSU

Changes in few weeks:

CNPS11X extreme cooler, stock cooler is really loud

120 GB V300 SSDnow

XFX 550W PSU

OC for both my card and CPU but first I need cooling and good power

using a p5q pro, and the bois allows for pretty much slow/medium/fast (or the equivalent) fan speeds, but I was looking for controlling more than 3 fans, and having more than 3 pre-set speeds.

Looking to potentially sell my rig as I don't use it nowadays (console gaming is easier in short stints plus friends can easily joint in coop etc) and I have my laptop/phone for general browsing.

Specs are currently:

i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz stable

Asrock extreme6 mobo

Silver arrow sb-e (keeps overclock <60c)

Kingston hyper x grey @1600mhz 1.55v

Msi twinfrozr III 6950 2gb @ 880core (forget mem speed)

Samsung 830 pro (will probably keep for laptop)

WD green 500gb storage drive

Xfx 650(maybe 750w can't remember) silver modular psu

Fractal Arc midi r2

It's a stupidly clean build (cable management took a good hour or so) and although a lot is dated the cooler + fans (spectre pro 140mms), psu, case and mobo are less than 6month old. Any guesses?

Looking to build a new rig, would love a decent i5/i7 but money won't stretch that far. Been looking at the new AMD Vishera CPU, can get a 4ghz 8 core for under £150 - anyone got any experience with them, are they any good?

Currently running a Phenom x4 with 8gb ddr2 ram on an AS Rock board with an older Radeon 4xxx card (can't recall specifically which one but it works ok), used for some gaming (handles Battlefield 4 at medium) and some photo editing in Photoshop, but it's starting to creak a bit so time to upgrade...slowly.

using a p5q pro, and the bois allows for pretty much slow/medium/fast (or the equivalent) fan speeds, but I was looking for controlling more than 3 fans, and having more than 3 pre-set speeds.

Actually I am sure that you cannot really go wrong, as fan controllers should be fairly simple, I would look for the description for them, overclockers have a rather good choice of controllers, although personally I have never used any of them

Looking to build a new rig, would love a decent i5/i7 but money won't stretch that far. Been looking at the new AMD Vishera CPU, can get a 4ghz 8 core for under £150 - anyone got any experience with them, are they any good?

Currently running a Phenom x4 with 8gb ddr2 ram on an AS Rock board with an older Radeon 4xxx card (can't recall specifically which one but it works ok), used for some gaming (handles Battlefield 4 at medium) and some photo editing in Photoshop, but it's starting to creak a bit so time to upgrade...slowly.

As you see, I have an FX 8320 for a month or so

get a proper cooling on it, this cpu is hot, and the cooler is noisy and just enough, the max temp that you should reach is 62-3, as AMD stated that it gets unstable above it

At programming, youtube, loads of webpages I have 15% of CPU usage, that is rather nice

Do not get XMP RAM, as they are not really stable with them

Get a good motherboard (ASUS M5A97 or Gigabyte 970A-D3p/DSP3, do not get MSI 970A-G43 the VRMs tend to die really fast on 125W consumption

I got it for £107 and with Far Cry Blood Dragon, it can be overclocked to 8350 level, to stable 4 GHz easily

most i5s around the £150 mark ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=core%20i5&sprefix=core+%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acore%20i5

Only go for the 'K' series intel processors as they are unlocked and will overclock properly.

I'm still running my i3 530 that I've had since march '10, have used it overclocked from 2.93 up to 4 Ghz and just upped to 4.2 Ghz now I have decent cooling in there. Will be pushing it up to 4.4 Ghz shortly when I get time to fiddle with it :)

Only go for the 'K' series intel processors as they are unlocked and will overclock properly.

I'm still running my i3 530 that I've had since march '10, have used it overclocked from 2.93 up to 4 Ghz and just upped to 4.2 Ghz now I have decent cooling in there. Will be pushing it up to 4.4 Ghz shortly when I get time to fiddle with it :)

Wow, that seems like a nice OC, are you going to run on Liquid cooling?

Nope, air only, not even top end air cooling at that. It cane with an arctic freezer 7 but it was getting too hot at 4.2ghz; just put a thermalright purespirit 140BW on there and dropped load temperatures by a good 15°C :)

The i3 chips overclock like a beast, it's only a dual core hyperthreading so not so good where multithreading is essential but for most games and 3D cad modelling it's ideal. A lot of games use dual core but not that many properly utilise more than that, 3D cad (solidworks/inventor/catia etc) is all single threading for the modelling and simulation side so an eight core processor is largely wasted. Better to have a blistering fast dual/quad core than a plodding oct core :)

When we roll out solidworks at work I will be speccing and building the workstations from scratch - looking at quad core i5 running around 4.5ghz, 16gb ram all running off an ssd. Should work rather nicely.

Which quad core though? The 2500k will hit 4.5ghz easy, ivy bridge and Haswel will struggle. Don't forget not every chip is the same so one might get 4.5+ with a tiny bump in vcore and one might only reach 4 with a huge bump. If its a biggish company i'd go for either an i7 or the Xeon variant and save some money/ballache with a cheaper mobo/no need to spend out for a decent cooler.

Which quad core though? The 2500k will hit 4.5ghz easy, ivy bridge and Haswel will struggle. Don't forget not every chip is the same so one might get 4.5+ with a tiny bump in vcore and one might only reach 4 with a huge bump. If its a biggish company i'd go for either an i7 or the Xeon variant and save some money/ballache with a cheaper mobo/no need to spend out for a decent cooler.

Will be getting overclocked bundles from ocuk and building around them, it's what my i3 is and been super impressed. It's not a big company, 4 cad stations total, really not worth the expenditure to get i7s, besides which don't the i5s normally clock higher?

In multithreaded apps i7>i5 and not particularly, the 2600k overclocked worse than the 2500k but the 2700k was similar. Ivybridge+haswel suffer from heat issues due to the glue bonding the ihs to the die is too thick for suffient heat transfer through the thermal paste (as opposed to 1st+2nd gen iSeries which had their ihs soldered).

Interestingly though the "it won't work" argument for intel using paste instead of solder on the latest two iSeries chips is bullshit as the sb-e and ivy-e chips were soldered, it's just to gimp the chips overclocking headroom allowing the sb/ivy-e chips to appear better and to also save money.

I don't really do anything requiring fast hardware any more... I just write code, I don't game or anything.

I still want to build a mental fast rig, but I'd never use it. :(

I currently have a 965BE, 8gb RAM, a 128gb SSD, a 1tb HDD and a single graphics card. (My other one went to Ogre on this here forum).

Nope, air only, not even top end air cooling at that. It cane with an arctic freezer 7 but it was getting too hot at 4.2ghz; just put a thermalright purespirit 140BW on there and dropped load temperatures by a good 15°C :)

The i3 chips overclock like a beast, it's only a dual core hyperthreading so not so good where multithreading is essential but for most games and 3D cad modelling it's ideal. A lot of games use dual core but not that many properly utilise more than that, 3D cad (solidworks/inventor/catia etc) is all single threading for the modelling and simulation side so an eight core processor is largely wasted. Better to have a blistering fast dual/quad core than a plodding oct core :)

When we roll out solidworks at work I will be speccing and building the workstations from scratch - looking at quad core i5 running around 4.5ghz, 16gb ram all running off an ssd. Should work rather nicely.

As far as I know Fx Piledriver modules can produce rather nice values overclocked. of course if I would needed single core power I would went with an i5, but to learn to OC and get decent CPU I think the 8320 will be enough:)

Well, that is a fairly base cooler, but it is good to see that for my new cooler that will come I should get a high end paste as well

Edit: a guy from the local store told us that he is running his i7 ( not stated exact model) at 6 Ghz at all 4 core on stock cooler

I call it BS, but what is your opinion? or he might run it on idle only?

Edited by UKHippY

Edit: a guy from the local store told us that he is running his i7 ( not stated exact model) at 6 Ghz at all 4 core on stock cooler

I call it BS, but what is your opinion? or he might run it on idle only?

Total bullshit, it's barely possible to get any of the i7s to 6ghz on liquid nitrogen.

that what I was saying as well

I went into the shop looking for a high end air cooler, and he told me that dont worry, FX has a thermal limit of 90c (when its actually shuts down..) and stock cooler is very good and intels stock cooler was designed for overclocking... I am not sure if he thinks I know nothing, or.... he is just so unprofessional

is GPU bitcoin/coin mining still profitable? and I am not talking about 4x or more 290X doing their job, but like a 7970, because as far as I saw it produces really small money, but boost up AMD card prices and avaibility really badly...

One thing my current PC been doing recently is when I plug in a USB stick or harddrive .etc., it doesn't auto play. I have to go to disc management and on the disc/stick select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths' and force it to use a path, any ideas as it's getting annoying.