Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

3 minutes ago, Muel said:

I much want a wheel...

Is everyone Logitech fanboys in here? I fancy a Thrustmaster T500. Pricey but oh so very pretty.

That is the thing here, a set cost £500, including the gated shifter. I am 100% sure it is higher quality than mine, but then again it cost 2.5 times as much as my G29....

10 minutes ago, HippY said:

That is the thing here, a set cost £500, including the gated shifter. I am 100% sure it is higher quality than mine, but then again it cost 2.5 times as much as my G29....

Didn't realise the £330 I found them for didn't include the gearstick... That changes things.

28 minutes ago, froggy said:

Wouldn't sound work through the HDMI?

How difficult would it be to set it up?

Oh sorry I always forget HDMI carries audio too lol. Plug that into you TV via HDMi and you're sorted. It's as easy as plugging in a SD card, running a program on a desktop/laptop to put OSMC on the SD card, plug that into the pi and everything else. Start it up and that's it. Will take you what? 20mins?

I think if you're spending £500 on a steering wheel you really ought to setup some sort of cockpit for it. Mounting it on a desk and sitting in an office chair for an evening is not comfortable at all, for a few quick races you're fine though.

Top end thrustmaster kit is the absolute dogs bollocks, my 20 year old flcs and tqs still work fine if you have a game port that works (nothing past win xp) and my rcs rudders work exceptionally well now I've converted them to USB by cannibalising an old logitech wheel for the pots and boards. If you can afford it then it's very good kit, my warthog hotas is going to last forever and only cost me 170 quid :)

8 hours ago, weirdoku said:

I think if you're spending £500 on a steering wheel you really ought to setup some sort of cockpit for it. Mounting it on a desk and sitting in an office chair for an evening is not comfortable at all, for a few quick races you're fine though.

Oh aye I would, but I don't have space for a cockpit here, so not planning on doing anything yet. I'm not going to just get a wheel and sit at my desk with it...

35 minutes ago, forteh said:

Bargain! Even better if it's a 3770k but I very much doubt it is at that price :)

it is a non K, but it is running at 3.4 GHz and I am not an overclocker.

and it still has enough performance for pretty much anything

I am running it now, and after some RAM fun, it is working well!

3 hours ago, forteh said:

The only reason you would want to overclock it would be for very intensive single threaded software like solidworks :)

yeah, but at the moment I do not use solidworks, and it was an absolute steal

next step: Hackintosh :D

20 minutes ago, HippY said:

next step: Hackintosh :D

From experience, don't bother. I'm a regular/constant user of Apple stuff, and I tried the Hackintosh approach beforehand. Personally I'd rather just use Windows 10 or a decent Linux Distro than bother with the hassle. Just a heads up although I'm sure that, just like me back then, it won't make the slightest bit of difference!

6 hours ago, JD™ said:

From experience, don't bother. I'm a regular/constant user of Apple stuff, and I tried the Hackintosh approach beforehand. Personally I'd rather just use Windows 10 or a decent Linux Distro than bother with the hassle. Just a heads up although I'm sure that, just like me back then, it won't make the slightest bit of difference!

yeah, I might be a bit too enthusiastic there, but basically it is more like a long term project, so if i have some freetime I mighty try it

On 30.11.2015 22:58:00, Muel said:

I much want a wheel...

Is everyone Logitech fanboys in here? I fancy a Thrustmaster T500. Pricey but oh so very pretty.

I prefer the look of the T300RS, especially with that Ferrari wheel..

I believe the T500 has more force but the T300 gets you more fine feedback. I've honestly heard more positive things about the T300 though.

I still use an old G25 myself and would never want to change to a g27. Even though it largely has the same internals and it being smoother and less noisy, it feels a bit 'mushy' and all my mates have problems with FFB clipping when mine still is entirely fine. I've got no clue really but I could imagine that it's down to the helical gears it uses (g25 is straight cut) as that is the only difference between them that I know of.
Now, as far as I know the G29 is pretty much the same as the g27 so I'd tell everybody to go with Thrustmaster or find a bargain (though that seems very unlikely since early summer..)

Best probably is to try somebody why whom you can try them out.

2 hours ago, weirdoku said:

Get a Oculous DK2 now or wait for their Q1 2016 version? Always wanted one since the first Rift, racing in pCars/Dirt Rally would be immense.

And all the pr0n.

I'd say this absolutely depends on if  you can wait for the Q1 '16 version, after all the DK2 wasn't without it's issues. But if you can afford it and just want a taste of it I'd go for it. :)

I'd be crapping myself in Dirt Rally though :P

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

I could wait I guess, the 2016 version on their website looks much sleeker than the DK2.

Dirt Rally would be extra sick with the headset on, especially the Finland stages and I'm looking forward to driving the Nurburgring in pCars with the headset too.

7 minutes ago, weirdoku said:

I could wait I guess, the 2016 version on their website looks much sleeker than the DK2.

Dirt Rally would be extra sick with the headset on, especially the Finland stages and I'm looking forward to driving the Nurburgring in pCars with the headset too.

I would wait until a few of them (2-3 ) is released

prices will drop, softwares will arrive (more than 2 games) and there will be a greater choice

it can be exciting to be an early adopter, but it is not the best option

10 minutes ago, Greetings said:

Can I connect routers in series so that the 2nd and 3rd router will have internet access through the 1st one?

I do not see why you would not... but why would you? there are tons of options for range extending

Cheers. It's a big house and we're changing from ADSL to LTE. The latter requires a new router/modem to be installed far away from any existing LAN cables in the house. Connecting the remaining routers in series would be much easier since I can make use of the existing cables.

15 minutes ago, Greetings said:

Cheers. It's a big house and we're changing from ADSL to LTE. The latter requires a new router/modem to be installed far away from any existing LAN cables in the house. Connecting the remaining routers in series would be much easier since I can make use of the existing cables.

http://www.wikihow.com/Cascade-Routers

just make sure that your addresses are good, so you dont have 192.168.1.1 twice or something

• Like 1

Yes it does work, I just tested it here at work where we use an old netgear router as a WAP. Plugged a machine into one of its outgoing ethernet ports and it connected to the network fine.  As above check you have no IP conflicts but no reason why it shouldn't work :)

• Like 1

Got my seat today. Photo from earlier when it was roughly set up earlier. Not bad for just over £110. But one of the two bars leading up to the center plate is bent at a different angle to the other one so I can't set it up correctly. The left side isn't actually screwed in properly as the holes don't align.

But with all the other bolts tightened up it's sturdy enough to play. I've messaged the shop for replacements, hopefully they send me right ones otherwise I'll have to drill out some now holes.

The shifter plate/mount is absolute wank. There are correct mount holes for the G27 shifter but the angle of the plate sides doesn't allow for the shifter to be mounted flat to the plate, you can't screw it down at all. It's also a bit up front and high up for my liking. I'm going to make a little frame that sits down the side of me on the floor where it actually should be like in a real car.

The rest is alright. Can't complain too much for the price. Need to set it up for my position still. Early use was fun, much comfier than office desk and chair. 

IMG_2800.JPG

• Like 1

by the way, I had time to set up the wheel and test it properly, I was playing with Project Cars

it is the version before the G29 came out ( ill buy the proper version in January when I come back) and overall it is amazing!

I had to set the steering wheel for 360 degree, but after that it was great

my only problem is that there is no proper racing games on PC... there is Test Drive Unlimited 2, but that is hard to set up (I need a launcher as the servers are offline), Grid Autosport, pCars.... and pretty much it?

I would love a Forza 6, but the thing is I do not want to shell out £300 and a yearly subscription just for a game and a console, not including changing my wheel for a G920