Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

Set the drive letter to something obscure like X or Z and see if that helps. I get that a lot at work, we use 8 mapped network drives and I believe that a flash drive assigns its letter based on the last machine it was plugged into. Having manually set it to a not commonly used drive letter it should keep that whichever machine you plug it into ( assuming the drive letter isn't already existing) and will auto play as expected :)

Set the drive letter to something obscure like X or Z and see if that helps. I get that a lot at work, we use 8 mapped network drives and I believe that a flash drive assigns its letter based on the last machine it was plugged into. Having manually set it to a not commonly used drive letter it should keep that whichever machine you plug it into ( assuming the drive letter isn't already existing) and will auto play as expected :)

Tried that, no change, it'll do it regardless of what I got plugged in, it's as it won't auto play when plug them in

That's odd, that always worked for me in the past, possibly try always setting it to the same drive letter every time you plug it into a new machine so it isn't trying to change it to something that clashes with your home machine.

What happens if you set the drive letter and replug the usb, will it auto play then?

Nope, garbage. If you want a gaming PC you need to learn to build it yourself. If you want to buy something that just works, buy an Xbox.

or an alienware or something, they have good spec, although they are pricey

or an alienware or something, they have good spec, although they are pricey

Pricey is an understatement... They're massively overpriced and often badly designed. I don't know a single person who is happy about buying one.

Rob, £300 budget isn't enough if you want a gaming PC IMO. What do you need it for?

Edited by Muel

Pricey is an understatement... They're massively overpriced and often badly designed. I don't know a single person who is happy about buying one.

Rob, £300 budget isn't enough if you want a gaming PC IMO. What do you need it for?

nothing big and banging like battle field, but something enough for me to get started, games like minecraft sim city and so on.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2z79H

1 TB HDD ( very large)

2x 2 GB 1600 RAM ( fast enough)

A10-6800k very good APU, it has a good CPU and graphics card together, probably more powerful than in the £300 ebay version

a case ( nothing extra, but hey, its cheap and good quality)

A good PSU ( silent, 300W is enough)

no DVD driver ( I dont have one, personally never need it, but if required its around £10)

No OS ( if you want windows, its around£60.. )

It is a really good PC for £300

Edited by UKHippY

If your budget allows get 8gb 1866/2100mhz ram as both speed and memory are shared between the cpu and onboard gpu and will give the gpu a nice boost. I'd say get faster ram over a cooler now and use the stock until you've saved about £30-50 or so for a good heatsink and overclock both cpu+gpu. It means you won't have to try sell your old ram if you go for the 4gb posted above and gives you time to read up on overclocking.

Sorry about the wall of text.

Can anyone help with my iMac? When i first got it, it used to make the Apple start up noise when booting it. Now it doesn't? Hasn't done for a while and im confused as to why it would stop! The volume settings are not muted. Any other suggestions?

I'm intrigued, why is that an issue?

I'm sure ive read somewhere that it runs a self diagnostic test and the noise is confirmation that everything is okay. Not sure how true this is. Im just confused as to why it now doesn't make the start up noise.

okay, I will do a custom system then first, what would you like it to use? what is the budget then? Do you need a windows? anything else like speaker keyboard monitor?

Games and media more than anything and college work, would like windows and yeah keyboards and mouse and speakers ect basicly everything :)