Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

1 hour ago, JT! said:

75-80% Is GTA V, the other 15% is background stuff.

is your GTA pirated?

if yes, then there is a large chance that you have the version with a built in crypto miner, that will use all of your CPU it can at the background

What do people think about mechanical keyboards? I’ve got some spare cash and have wanted one for a while but haven’t been able to bring myself to pay £70+ for a keyboard.

I was looking at https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ducky-dk2108-zero-mech-mechanical-keyboard-black-cherry-switch-kb-029-dk.html with brown switches.

I only play CS:GO and use my PC for uni work

3 minutes ago, froggy said:

What do people think about mechanical keyboards? I’ve got some spare cash and have wanted one for a while but haven’t been able to bring myself to pay £70+ for a keyboard.

I was looking at https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ducky-dk2108-zero-mech-mechanical-keyboard-black-cherry-switch-kb-029-dk.html with brown switches.

I only play CS:GO and use my PC for uni work

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-Blackwidow-Expert-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B00JLADKHK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1451401486&sr=8-5&keywords=razer+blackwidow

I have one of these, as they were on sale in Pc World

Honestly, they worth it. as a person who types a lot they are incredibly nice, and the loud clicking noise is really helpful. 

I was in the same situation, i had cheap £10 keyboards before, but in my opinion it was a worthy investment

Depends, if you have a shitty membrane keyboard then yeah go mechanical if you 'need' the clicky tactile feel.

I was in your situations about mechanical keyboards but in the end I thought it was pointless. I have a gaming membrane type keyboard now and it works just fine, typing and gaming. I've had a play in shops on some corsair, razer mechanical keyboards and I found the clicky noise annoying. You can get silent keys but that just defeats the object of being able to hear it in the first place.

If you feel like splashing out go ahead, your money lol.

Alien isolation is certainly worthy of the eight quid in the steam sale, unfortunately I am now starting it again (only got to level five before on my 'acquired' copy) and I forgot how shit scary it is! :(

Playing in the dark, with headphones :(

Also got company of heroes 2 so that might help alleviate the terror inducing darkness :D

slightly off-topic but its pretty nerdy..

has anyone here got any experience with selling domains / parking them or whatever? I have two domains that I don't want but when I look up how to park them or sell them just tuns into  'HOW I MAKE £100000000 AN HOUR 100% proven steps' style.

I'm just a confused little boy. 

So it turns out that I'm just genuinely using that much processing load. What with two webcams constantly recording taking up the main part of the background processes I think I'll just have to shut them off when I play a power hungry game. I did honestly think I'd get more out of a $350 processor however.

Finally got round to playing with my rpi (a year after the wife gave it me last christmas :o), it's now screwed to the wall behind the tv running dual boot openelec (kodi 6 I think) for media player/catchup duties and rasbian for streaming steam games to the tv - saves having to buy a steamlink :)

Speaking of which I popped into my local game, they're selling steamlinks for £100 quid and steam controllers for £60, they're £40 each direct from steam so I have no clue wtf they think they're doing trying to charge that much!

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about building a "off to the side" pc. Something that will just be used for lightweight stuff. Skype, security software controlling a couple of HD webcams, other small applications etc, video processing (not looking for something to do it fast, just something to do it). Just something that can be used to declutter my current main pc and it would be nice to have a second PC for all the advantages that entails.

My questions are...

1. I need some kind of basic mixer (?) so both audio feeds from both pcs would get to my ears. Three audio inputs should do it. Any suggestions? I do have a pretty good audio card so I don't want it to degrade the quality at all.

2. What type of processor should I be looking at? Intel or AMD? Needs to be able to handle 2 hd webcam streams with enough left over power to watch a hd youtube video with no problems.

2.5 Graphics? On the processor, or the MOBO or dedicated? Or do I need to not worry about that at all and worry more about the processing power?

3. Should I go Mini ITX? Never had any experience with them so thought it might but something different and fun to play about with. Or is it not worth it?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://soundcloud.com/jonathantrillo/recording-12

This noise has been coming from my 2nd PC since I built it last year. Finally got a decent mic to record it.

Any ideas what could be causing it? You hear fans, the noise in question, and ignore my dogs toenails on the floor.

It's not fan related because when the PC first gets powered up it doesn't make this noise. Also it stops sometimes, like when a program is loading, or when you click on file explorer.

Doesn't make any sense to me.