Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

Today I finally got my computer! very pleased with it aesthetically, will build it at the weekend. Also got a touch screen monitor (thank you Ian) it is meant to be a number crunching machine so I can run CAE projects from home.

But im not sure whether I will use it for gaming, haven't got a graphics card as the cheapest ones were worse than the one built in already so seemed pointless right now.

Spent alot of time picking components as I was on a budget, went over 400 when i went quad core unfortunately. but still, quad core (Y)

heres the list, what do you think?

ComputerSpec_zpsc130350a.jpg

Ill get some build pics this weekend hopefully

cheers, ash

Edited by Ash-Kennard

Ok at the moment i have 1 4gb stick of samsung DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz RAM, I want to upgrade to 8 but cant find any the same so if i got this http://www.ebuyer.com/389634-crucial-8gb-ddr3-1333-mhz-memory-ct102464ba1339 or this http://www.ebuyer.com/274035-corsair-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-low-profile-vengeance-memory-cml8gx3m2a1600c9 Would i can then add my 4gb samsung stick and make it 12gb ?

Ok at the moment i have 1 4gb stick of samsung DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz RAM, I want to upgrade to 8 but cant find any the same so if i got this http://www.ebuyer.com/389634-crucial-8gb-ddr3-1333-mhz-memory-ct102464ba1339 or this http://www.ebuyer.com/274035-corsair-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-low-profile-vengeance-memory-cml8gx3m2a1600c9 Would i can then add my 4gb samsung stick and make it 12gb ?

i'm not sure if this would work, 99% sure rams sticks have to be the same brand/type to work together!

8gb is plenty anyway

Was looking at getting a full build of dinopc, it's in the multimedia section and is about £430. Will post a link when I get home.

Would you lot reccomend a full build off dinopc? Looking at you UKHippy

send me the cash in an envelope and i will build you something better :wink: , nothing against these "prebuilt pc" company's but they mostly just sling these pc's together with the cheapest parts possible by the looks of things!

let us know how much you want to spend and what you will be using it for, i will have a go at putting a basket of parts together for around £430 and see what i can come up with.

send me the cash in an envelope and i will build you something better :wink: , nothing against these "prebuilt pc" company's but they mostly just sling these pc's together with the cheapest parts possible by the looks of things!

let us know how much you want to spend and what you will be using it for, i will have a go at putting a basket of parts together for around £430 and see what i can come up with.

Do you wanna chat one facebook? would be easier than on here.

Was looking at this one http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/-b-NEW-b-Gallant-AMD-4130-93p1636.htm

All depends how much I get paid this month

Was looking at this one http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/-b-NEW-b-Gallant-AMD-4130-93p1636.htm

Quote me like that so I will notice it :D

it depends:

Can you/Do you want to learn how to build a PC?

Pre-built computers are always more expensive, but http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Raider-AMD-X6-6300-94p1640.htm

seems rather decent, it will play games at 1080p on Ultra (maybe not everything turned on, but beautifully)

Imagine if you would like to buy a bike out of custom parts from a shop (not tarty because they are just awesome). You should buy the parts and there is the labour cost.

for £539 with OS that is a decent machine, it will be upgradable later on ( easily, for example a video card removal is you remove 2 screws from the case, you disconnect cables, push down a tab and just pull out the card. to install do the opposite). Probably you could build a better one for the money, but if you do not feel confident about this expensive built, then I would buy a prebuilt one or ask someone, like 24martin to make it

If you have any question then send me a message. Except if its about how to getting a lady. But I know everything* about computers!

*= kinda lot, most what needed, but I still need to learn, for example XMP profile RAMs....nerdy stuff

Just saw the link, it does not work. If you are looking to buy an AMD processor with a graphics card then let it be FX series (FX-xxxx)

for gaming minimum the 6 core version (£80 and play games rather nicely, at normal gaming it is around pair with an i5, only a few non viewable Frame Per second loss) BUT! IT must be FX-6300 or FX 6350 or FX 8320/8350, it must not be FX-x1xx! that series is famous as they were really hot and did not had as good performance.

Edited by UKHippY

Quote me like that so I will notice it :D

it depends:

Can you/Do you want to learn how to build a PC?

Pre-built computers are always more expensive, but http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Raider-AMD-X6-6300-94p1640.htm

seems rather decent, it will play games at 1080p on Ultra (maybe not everything turned on, but beautifully)

Imagine if you would like to buy a bike out of custom parts from a shop (not tarty because they are just awesome). You should buy the parts and there is the labour cost.

for £539 with OS that is a decent machine, it will be upgradable later on ( easily, for example a video card removal is you remove 2 screws from the case, you disconnect cables, push down a tab and just pull out the card. to install do the opposite). Probably you could build a better one for the money, but if you do not feel confident about this expensive built, then I would buy a prebuilt one or ask someone, like 24martin to make it

If you have any question then send me a message. Except if its about how to getting a lady. But I know everything* about computers!

*= kinda lot, most what needed, but I still need to learn, for example XMP profile RAMs....nerdy stuff

Just saw the link, it does not work. If you are looking to buy an AMD processor with a graphics card then let it be FX series (FX-xxxx)

for gaming minimum the 6 core version (£80 and play games rather nicely, at normal gaming it is around pair with an i5, only a few non viewable Frame Per second loss) BUT! IT must be FX-6300 or FX 6350 or FX 8320/8350, it must not be FX-x1xx! that series is famous as they were really hot and did not had as good performance.

What do you mean the link does not work? :P

I am fairly confident with putting all the wires and shit together, I'm not bad at doing stuff like that. It's just a ballache doing troubleshooting when you're used to apple shit. I'd rather pay a little more and avoid pulling on my hair and doing countless google searches because I did something wrong.

You got facebook?

i'm not sure if this would work, 99% sure rams sticks have to be the same brand/type to work together!

8gb is plenty anyway

Nope, I'm running mismatched RAM and have been for years. The type (DDR3, DDR2 etc) has to match, and they have to be capable of running at the same speed, voltage and timings. (1333mhz, 1.65V and 9-9-9-24). It just easier to buy the same brand/model but you don't have to.

Everyone should build a computer instead of buying a pre-built one, or buy a Mac IMO.

Nope, I'm running mismatched RAM and have been for years. The type (DDR3, DDR2 etc) has to match, and they have to be capable of running at the same speed, voltage and timings. (1333mhz, 1.65V and 9-9-9-24). It just easier to buy the same brand/model but you don't have to.

Everyone should build a computer instead of buying a pre-built one, or buy a Mac IMO.

What makes you say that?

I recently built a computer (first time) and had absolutely no issues. Spent close to £900 too, so was a little nervous.

Just make sure everything is compatible and take your time putting it together.

Oh and by building myself I probably saved nearly £200 as opposed to getting the same spec pre-built.

Edited by James Quigley

sorry bud, I do have a facebook but i haven't used it in so long i wouldn't have a clue how to use it anymore :$

the link wasn't working but i googled that system anyway, seems like a reasonable build but there is a few corners that have been cut to get it down to that price, for instance, a quick google search of the motherboard that is included in that build came up with an average value of about £32... not exactly going to be the most feature filled motherboard out there but hey it will work!

if you had exactly £430 you could get some pretty good hardware for that money... I just managed to price up a build that will massively outperform and outlast that prebuilt pc, for the same price on a few good pc hardware websites, but the only problem is.... i never include an operating system in that price (because they are overpriced to sh|t, i'm not paying £100 for a cd with some data on it and a sticker), I've had pc's for years and i've never bought a single legitimate copy of windows, none of my friends have either, infact i don't actually know anybody who actually bought windows for their pc in like the past 10 years, it's so simple to download windows 7 ultimate from a torrent site... whack it on a cd and you've just saved £100, if anybody wants to cry about piracy or whatever then do so but microsoft are sooo incomprehensibly rich it really doesn't matter!

so yea to sum that all up, download windows, spend £430 on hardware, enjoy the part of building the pc which is satisfyingly easy, win.

I'm not sure why I didn't google ram compatibility before I answered his question but atleast i now know that you can mismatch ram! (not that I will ever need or want to do this lol)

for people who are unsure on speeds, voltages and timings though it's much easier and safer to stick with same brand and model of ram!

What makes you say that?

Because it's easy to put a computer together, and saves a load of money, and you get a better build that suits your needs better.

If you can't handle plugging some cables in then IMO running Windows is a waste of time for you, because that's where 90% of the issues I've encountered have stemmed from. You need to have an interest in the hardware to bother running a Linux/Windows PC at all in my opinion.

Edited by Muel

Because it's easy to put a computer together, and saves a load of money, and you get a better build that suits your needs better.

If you can't handle plugging some cables in then IMO running Windows is a waste of time for you, because that's where 90% of the issues I've encountered have stemmed from. You need to have an interest in the hardware to bother running a Linux/Windows PC at all in my opinion.

I guess you're right. I'd like to do it mainly for the side of saving money, but I wanted to get something prebuild that I could then play around with. Kind of like when you buy a full build bike just so you know it's gunna work out the box, then you can make it perfect.

Can someone help me put together a compatible spec list, I'll know how much I can afford next friday. But if I can save like £100 by getting it part by part, then I can probably spend like £350.

I'd like something similar to what I posted, plenty of ram. 1TB hard drive, graphics card capable of middle end gaming and photoshop/HD movie editing. And a processor that can handle lots of different applications running together.

so you are looking for a PC for £350 that do that stuff.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2GedT

HD movie editing needs powerfull CPU, that what your budget allows, put £20 more in, you can get better one (fx-8320)

You can spare money= cheaper case+PSU=http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-midi-towercase--500w-psu--usb-2-0---hd-audio--7VWV.html?src=3

so you are looking for a PC for £350 that do that stuff.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2GedT

HD movie editing needs powerfull CPU, that what your budget allows, put £20 more in, you can get better one (fx-8320)

You can spare money= cheaper case+PSU=http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-midi-towercase--500w-psu--usb-2-0---hd-audio--7VWV.html?src=3

I'd like 8GB ram really. It all depends how much I get next week.

Personally I used 4 GB of RAM, and for general usage it was enough. The reason why I have 8 GB of ram is because I am doing programming and it needs around 6 GB

Pro Tip= order twice the RAM, it will cost twice the amount :D

As soon as you know exactly how much money do you have text me

Do you need anything else like monitor, speaker DVD driver or something?

Personally I used 4 GB of RAM, and for general usage it was enough. The reason why I have 8 GB of ram is because I am doing programming and it needs around 6 GB

Pro Tip= order twice the RAM, it will cost twice the amount :D

As soon as you know exactly how much money do you have text me

Do you need anything else like monitor, speaker DVD driver or something?

Nah got speakers and ain't fused about DVD drivers. Will sort a decent monitor out another time.

I'd rather have more ram than I need