Disc Brakes

AnthonyNuttall

Iv been looking nor for some months trying to find a 26" trials frame with a rear disc brake,

at present i am using an onza cleaner with a rear V brake as HS33 and other hydolic brakes just dont produse the stopping power i need,

Has anyone got any shops they know that sell 26" frames with disc brake mounts

thanx, Anthony

Iv been looking nor for some months trying to find a 26" trials frame with a rear disc brake,

at present i am using an onza cleaner with a rear V brake as HS33 and other hydolic brakes just dont produse the stopping power i need,

Has anyone got any shops they know that sell 26" frames with disc brake mounts

thanx, Anthony

You either need better pads , better rim or a grind for the v or HS33 or you are the most powerful rider ever to grace the earth. Disks in my opinion are not nearly as powerful and only useable on 20" bikes atleast without a massive ass rotor.

Generally, they are not powerful enough and you get extreme spoke flex because of the wheels being larger, and because of that no one tends to use them so it would be unfeasible for company's to mass produce stock frames with rear disk mounts due to such tiny demand

I don't find rear disks powerful enough even on mods, so why anyone would want one on a stock is beyond me

Edited by onza limey20

you need a 200mm rotor for rear disc on a 26" to be powerful enough, which makes your back end heavy, plus you get spoke flex, and the wheel will still slip the disc (or mine did on a bad tap etc), get a grind and better pads, cheaper than a new disc brake, frame and hub...

i killed 3 IS adapters in 2 weeks with my first tries to ride trialsy stuff before switching to maggies(never looked back).when youre on the edge of something and this "roll-back"thing appears,its too much force for most of the available caliper mounts.my experience.

Why?

I'm just giving the guy the answer to his question, not saying everyone who runs disks are idiots for doing so am i?

No man,it´s just not true that every disc brake out there isn´t powerful enough,other points were spot on ;) saint,code or gustav m are all powerfull more than enough for trials,it´s the spoke flex what makes them feel weird,but the hold is incredible still...Another problem is,that the rotor can bend badly just from braking,seen that happen in person,but it was forementioned TRA,so most guys would be ok I guess :D

Edited by ghostrider88

No man,it´s just not true that every disc brake out there isn´t powerful enough,other points were spot on ;) saint,code or gustav m are all powerfull more than enough for trials,it´s the spoke flex what makes them feel weird,but the hold is incredible still...Another problem is,that the rotor can bend badly just from braking,seen that happen in person,but it was forementioned TRA,so most guys would be ok I guess :D

Ah right, yeah i see what you mean, i have just never found anything as powerful as a well set up mag or vee, so as a personal thing i have felt disks were not as powerful

But yeah i know some can be used fine for trials, but they are unneeded on a stock really

plus disc brakes are only really meant to work one way and aren't ever made with the intention of stopping a wheel spinning backwards... the TRA comment is a bit unfair cause that man can make anything work out alright for trials.

• Like 1

plus disc brakes are only really meant to work one way and aren't ever made with the intention of stopping a wheel spinning backwards... the TRA comment is a bit unfair cause that man can make anything work out alright for trials.

He said it´s the best brake he ever had and it certainly looked that way.

My rear disk (200mm mono trials) on stock was real good for natural, held on rounded rocks better than a magura.

It was too heavy and too much spoke flex though. Also didn't like square edges much, would slip more than a magura here.

any one else in the belief that hopes are a bit of a lucky dip for trials? some people have uber ones, and then the rest have temperamental disapointment? on paper discs are great but i was so happy to be rid of mine on a 26", was kinda fun on a 24" and they're sick on 20"s though

• Like 1

any one else in the belief that hopes are a bit of a lucky dip for trials? some people have uber ones, and then the rest have temperamental disapointment? on paper discs are great but i was so happy to be rid of mine on a 26", was kinda fun on a 24" and they're sick on 20"s though

Yeah , I've used other peoples which have been amazing but mine after a while became awful on the back , not tried it up front yet though .

so it looks like im going to have to ride old school again with a jump frame,

I have found that jucy ultimates are perfect for trials i have no slipping and no spoke flex,

iv been riding for 14 years with a rear disc brake and never found rim brakes wether it be hydrolic or V brakes anygood they just slip for fun and even more when its wet, and the one thing i hate on HS33 is that horid squeal,

so it looks like im going to have to ride old school again with a jump frame,

I have found that jucy ultimates are perfect for trials i have no slipping and no spoke flex,

iv been riding for 14 years with a rear disc brake and never found rim brakes wether it be hydrolic or V brakes anygood they just slip for fun and even more when its wet, and the one thing i hate on HS33 is that horid squeal,

They dont slip for fun. They slip when they're badly set up, simple as.

• Like 2

They dont slip for fun. They slip when they're badly set up, simple as.

+1. basic physics should tell you that braking force transmitted straight to a rim/tyre should be better than a braking force transmitted through the spokes and hub. think about it a little bit. a Magura set up right with a good grind should be better than a disk, even with a 203mm rotor. I've ridden both, and Magura is miles better. simple as. on both 20 and 26

• Like 3

Is spoke flex really annoying on stock rear wheel ? I mean it's just in the head or it really does matter ?

I was planning to give it a try on my stock because i'm tired of grinding my rims and it will quiet too.

I found it annoying for some stuff but fine for others.

80% of the time you don't think about it. But I found trying to go to a narrow / small point (i.e a pillar or top of a sharp rock) it made me unwary because the back end feels slightly 'loose'. Try it for yourself, you may get away with it (Y)

Iv seen some real bad accidents from HS33's also iv had snapped frames with out a booster and crushed rims with boosters,

the only brakes that i have had no slipping and the best stopping power have been disc's

I fail to see a connection?... Frame design has come along a lot , most good frames are fine to run without booster now or come with one build in. By "bad accidents " you mean?