Personal Review Of Most Common Stock Frames Nowadays To Get One.

315r

Hello! fist of all, thanks for reading.

I'm searching to switch my actual frame, yaabaa 1499 ( 1080mm, 30 bb,) for some other more light and with more actual geo, higher bb to get more balance on back wheel on rocks.

The issue is that I have been doing a review of most common stock frames to evaluate which one get.

I'm short, 5'3" and maybe more than 1090mm long is to much for me. Nowadays I feel comfortable with my yaabaa with 1080, and stem of 125mm 25º.

One day I tested a Monty 231 and was super comfortable and a lot of balance on back wheel, light years better than my yaabaa, but was less responsible with the front. Curiously, the bb is very low to, maybe the stem of Monty had the key? The problems of Monty are stupid high priced and weigh, moreover, Monty have and old style geo.

I'm thinking that something between (1070 - 1085 Long), (40 - 60 BB), and less than 1,7 Kg should be correct for me. Are you agree?

Koxx and curve have extreme geos, like Rockman XL, but last week I test new koxx with mod 3D stem and was not bad.

Now lets the review.

Name long BB weigh Price in €

Ozonys cannibal: 1080 40 1,64 590

Fans: 1080 45 1,64 399

Rockman Slate 1085 55 1,48 545

Rockman Liberté 1090 55 1,57 550

Echo control 2011 1090 55 1,50

Ozonys curve 1090 60 1,46 480

Echo contro short 1065 30

zoo new 1098 / 1085 45/50 1,66 400

Monty 231 1080 35 1,96 853

Koxx sky 1100 70

Echo mark II 1085 55 1,40

Onza limey 3 1080 40 1,68 430

Noticeable how Monty are heavier, old geo and expensive than others...

For price and geo seems like Fans are the perfect one, followed by Ozonys Cannibal, and rockman Slate. I allways loved Echo, but nowadays are or to long or to short...

Because, if I'm not wrong, high bb are better for rear wheel balance and lower for great balance on both wheels and to do gaps, sidehops and pedal ups.

Longer bikes are better for gaps to front and better balance on two wheels, and shorter for pedal ups. I'm wrong?

Well, these are my thoughts, please, now I'm very pleased to listen yours.

Thanks all!!!

the longer the frame the more leverage you have, so you will be able to (in theory) perform better static moves. the length can feel cumbersome for some rolling moves, and short bikes enable flickier riding, it's all down to personal preference and a but load of other variables. just try and ride as many bikes as you can untill you find something that works....

I ride my mates Echo pure now and again, the 2011 version and it feels amazing for me and I'm only a small guy (albeit a sexy one lol) at 5ft 6. I'd say don't get toooooo hung up on if the frame is short or long as the way the bike feels is mainly due to the bar and stem combo anyway. Imo anyway.

• Like 1

Dan speaks the truth. As you found with the monty, its all in the bar and stem setup. Wheelbase has little to do with how a bike rides. A short bike will only feel short when your stem/bar is too short. Everyone seems to like the Echo Pures, though rockmans slate 3 is properly nice also.

Dan, your Echo pure are 1085 / 55 BB ?

As Samuel said, seems that everyone loves Echo Pures, and Rockman slate 3, and they have the same geo!!! Thats perfect!! 1085 / 55.

Echo pure 2011:

Wheelbase: 1085mm

Chainstay Length: 380mm (18:15 gear ratio with no half link)

BB Rise: 55mm

Slate 3

Wheelbase: 1085mm

Chainstay Length: 380mm

BB Rise: 55mm

Head Angle: 71.5 degrees

Centre of BB shell to top centre of head tube: 665mm (26.3")

And, again, as you said, really 5mm in long don't have to be a problem, although I'm short, but sexy, as Dann, AHAHA!!

Problem of pure, are 116mm spacing and my actual hub are 135mm. (Hate the duality of both measures) And Rockman are lighter and 135mm. Moreover, as I'm not an "animal rider" provably it last long, because people said that Rockman is not very strong, that's true? In slate to? Lots of broken frames?.

Currently exist a topic talking about quality of Rockman.

Sadly I don't have any possibility to try one rockman, nobody around me have one.

Thanks all again!!

Edited by 315r

Slate 3s and the Slate xl frames are probably the strongest frames rockman do. The Echo's are cheaper though, so with the money you may spend on a rockman, you could buy an echo and a new hub also. But yes it makes sense to go for a 135mm option with your current hub.

The frame should last you a good length of time.

My actual yaabaa is, for sure, bomb proof, no dents anywhere after 3 years of ridding!! MMM.. Yes!! a small one near the chain that I did 2 years ago.

Today I'm trying to know if my dealer have in mind get some Echo marck II, He is the same as Rockman. I'm quite sure to get some of those if no one else give some other opinion. As you said, echo are notably cheaper and with this money I can get the 116 hub, and still save some money!!

5'3" on a stock? MADNESS!

The Echos are very nice. There's good reason for them being so popular.

Also, the Limey 4s are amazing!

I've never ridden stock - I don't like them - but these are actually not that bad.

Been on a few now, and they are just great going up-to-front.

I'm 5'9". I know that's not nearly as short as you - but just to let you know I'm no skyscraper and they're Ok for me.

5'3" on a stock? MADNESS!

The Echos are very nice. There's good reason for them being so popular.

Also, the Limey 4s are amazing!

I've never ridden stock - I don't like them - but these are actually not that bad.

Been on a few now, and they are just great going up-to-front.

I'm 5'9". I know that's not nearly as short as you - but just to let you know I'm no skyscraper and they're Ok for me.

Aener, I don't think that be short should be a problem in stocks, but for this reason I'm searching a medium length bike, I dismiss things like Koxx sky and rockman XL.

Although lately I find me in a leak of improving. I'm not sure if it is due to this.

Do you know shorter riders that going well in stock? Maybe it's time to go to 24...

I'm in a mess right now...

Samuel, one friend said that slate 3 are made of a piece of can!! Arrgggg!!

Echo are consolidating in my mind....

Get a 24" you short arse! :P

It's personal preference with frames now days and also the spec such as forks, bars n stem.

Have a go on any of your friends? (that's if they have the choice of frame you are after?)

There is a lot out there today in frames so many manufacturers competiting wit each other for geo, quality and value of money.

Onza limey 4 seems to be a popular one now days to say there was a fair few at radfest and they are made in the same factory as rock man so someone told me.

Andy

Aener, I don't think that be short should be a problem in stocks, but for this reason I'm searching a medium length bike, I dismiss things like Koxx sky and rockman XL.

Although lately I find me in a leak of improving. I'm not sure if it is due to this.

Do you know shorter riders that going well in stock? Maybe it's time to go to 24...

I'm in a mess right now...

Samuel, one friend said that slate 3 are made of a piece of can!! Arrgggg!!

Echo are consolidating in my mind....

This is where you´re mistaking.Stop looking at the wheelbase as something that dictates how the frame rides and focus on reach instead, that says much more about the actual feel of the frame.

• Like 1

it sounds like you've answered your own question there, I think the Speedrace Fans matches your description fairly well.

medium length, 40/45+BB, good weight (but does reflect on the strength)

Pro's:

well balanced geo

looks good

decent weight to strength ratio (I had mine for almost a year then sold it to my mate Chris and it lasted him another year or so - and he goes through frames every few months).

good value for money

something different from the norm (deng)

Con's:

flexy, will need a booster, brake set up never felt 'amazing'.

hope this helps.

Steve

Get a 24" you short arse! :P

It's personal preference with frames now days and also the spec such as forks, bars n stem.

Have a go on any of your friends? (that's if they have the choice of frame you are after?)

There is a lot out there today in frames so many manufacturers competiting wit each other for geo, quality and value of money.

Onza limey 4 seems to be a popular one now days to say there was a fair few at radfest and they are made in the same factory as rock man so someone told me.

Andy

Thanks Andeee, yeah! Onza looks amazing, but here in spain is difficult to get one unless I'll do a purchase in tartybikes, I really prefer to find something in local dealer.

ZHi Z3r might be worth a mention. +60, short wheelbase and reach...very cheap, and ive had mine for over 18months with no real issues.

1079, 384, +60

Thanks! I put it in the list! :wink:

This is where you´re mistaking.Stop looking at the wheelbase as something that dictates how the frame rides and focus on reach instead, that says much more about the actual feel of the frame.

No, I'm not looking the wheelbase as something as dictates how the frame rides, I'm focused in wheelbase as a indicator of how long the bike is because I'm not too tall.

It makes the difference between making a nice frame feel shite or amazing though ;)

Really, I'm agree with that, nowadays I'm riding the try-all N.U.C 125mm 25º, hope that it works well with the new frame.

it sounds like you've answered your own question there, I think the Speedrace Fans matches your description fairly well.

medium length, 40/45+BB, good weight (but does reflect on the strength)

Pro's:

well balanced geo

looks good

decent weight to strength ratio (I had mine for almost a year then sold it to my mate Chris and it lasted him another year or so - and he goes through frames every few months).

good value for money

something different from the norm (deng)

Con's:

flexy, will need a booster, brake set up never felt 'amazing'.

hope this helps.

Steve

Sure, it's the other that I have in mind. :wink:

Thanks all for comments!!!! (Y) (Y) (Y):lol:

Edited by 315r