Paint Stripping...

Carlperkins

Does anyone know if theres anything stronger than nitromors for stripping paint?

Im using it on an entire vw camper. so will need LOADS!!

i did the engine bay door earlier, with nitromors. and it took ages. it basically just "softened" the paint, rather than blistering it.

i ended up scraping all the paint off.

anyone had any experience with anything stronger?

nah blasting is like £500 and they only do the seams and fiddly parts of the car. blasting big flat panels causes heat and distorts the panels.

you can get home blast kits for £100 + the many many bags of grit you will need. works out about £400.

havent looked into acid bathing. any idea on a price for a whole car? and surely only the body and chassis could be done? the whole car would have to be entirely stripped?

if you can get hold of some old clear nitromors, instead of the new green stuff, it's miles stronger. works so much better, I've got a right scar on my elbow from a splash back from it.

nah mate, im restoring it. Its not got a solid base to go on. There's hidden rust and body filler all over the place, and dents everywhere.

my plan is strip it to bare metal, cut out rusty areas and replace with solid sheet metal welded in, smooth all the joins. pull all the dents, then maybe use some body filler if i have to before i get it sprayed.

i have a twisted wire brush on the end of my angle grinder which is doing an ok job (fookin better for £25!) and i have some paint removing angle grinder discs on the way.

took me an hour and a half to do half of the roof, its basically just apply, scrape, apply, scrape, wire brush on grinder, sand with 100 grit block.

but nitromors is shit so just need summit stronger :/

Water seems to activate it a bit better, so you apply some, wait a while, rinse off, repeat. Not always practical though as it makes a massive mess.

Media blasting (usually) and chemical dips require a bare shell, yes.

The big wheel on the grinder is good, but watch for snagging - it will eat through a panel! Also get a cup brush (the hard type), they seem to be better for the big flat panels. Also, you can cause heat on these panels too, so watch for that!

It's a lot of work, and about 1/4 of the way in you will wonder why you though it was a good idea and then towards the end you will wonder if you will ever find any thing solid!

Stick at it, if it gets too much have a break, but never give up.