Wireless Vs Wired For Gaming?

JT!

Does it make a difference? Have the PS3 right next to the router now and was thinking if wiring it up would help reduce lag etc when playing game online? Or should I not bother?

• Like 1

Both my desktop and my xbox are connected by wire, because wireless is seriously shit, especially if there's anything as much as a wall in the way. You may not notice much of a difference if the router is sitting on top of the PS3, but for the sake of $0.50 of RJ45 you may as well hook it up.

• Like 1

So this leads me to a second question. The one ethernet cable my router has is being used. What do I need to turn that one port into more?

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-ProSafe-5-Port-Ethernet-Desktop/dp/B00002EQCW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344553329&sr=8-2&keywords=ethernet+switch

This is the exact model I've got in my room connecting both devices to the router. Works perfectly so far. Probably will be able to find a smaller/cheaper version

If it has 1 port it's probably not a router, it's probably a modem. (Generally speaking).

You need a router. Something like a Netgear WGR614. Not an ADSL router, just an Ethernet router. You can get them for about £15 these days second hand, don't take much setting up and work brilliantly.

You may be able to get away with an switch, but I wouldn't try it. Having a proper router normally offers better performance in my experience. If you do just have a modem then they generally only like one connection. A switch may complicated things. (I tried that exact setup not very long ago, plugging a switch straight into a modem, had loads of issues).

I'm pretty shit with network kit though...

Nah buy a wireless router, but just don't use it. You can turn it off in the router config if you really want. The cheapo Netgear range are the most reliable IMO. I've had a WGR614 v9, a DG834G V5, DG834G V3 and a DG834G V4.

That old thing is old man, real old. I'd recommend a WGR614, preferably V9. Brilliant routers, they've got really easily configurable interfaces and never seem to go wrong. I've got one running now as a Wireless Access Point, tis brilliant.

Edited by Muel

I'm not massively convinced on the wireless lag comments. I currently use wireless for my ps3, laptop, phone, television...no problems with any of it.

I agree cable is more reliable, but I'd say the lag in gaming would be more down to your actual broadband connection, not by your connection method.

Of course wireless can be interrupted by alsorts - Mircowaves, radios, mobile phones.

I'd try borrowing a router to test with rather than shelling out for something which may not even solve your problem.

I'm only going to pick something up for $10-ish. Plus I don't actually have a problem really... but I've never used a wired conection so I don't know how much better it is or isn't going to be.

Ok, so I bought a WGR614 v10. Connected it all together and was good to go instantly.

If I connect to the netgear router wirelessly, and run a speedtest on speedtest.net, my internet speed went from10mb to 14mb! If I connect to the netgear wired, I get almost 20mb!

Seriously is the wireless on the Motorola modem that bad?

Seriously is wireless that bad?

Yes, that's why everyone said "it's shit". All wireless is usually shitter than a cable if available. (In that, connecting to the same router via a cable is 90% of the time better than connecting via wireless).

Although your speed increase is probably more to do with the fact that the modem now has one device connecting to it, not several, and the Netgear router does a much better job of routing all the things.

They are fantastic those WGR614. I have one of them (relegated to wireless access point now) and 2 of the DG834G (ADSL version of the same/similar thing). All faultless.

Edited by Muel

Not sure it works like that, unless in America you have ethernet cables coming directly into the house? In the UK you need a modem and a router, or a one box modem/router combo. Most home routers are actually ADSL routers, that have a router and an ADSL modem in one box.

I'd say if it works, run it. I play about with network kit all the time and it's usually left alone once it's working well enough. :P

We don't have ethernet cables coming in directly to the house, but we do have coaxial cable. Which goes directly into the modem, meaning it's a cable modem.

A few issues have arisen though. When I've been connected to the netgear wirelessly it's had issues playing youtube videos at one point but now the internet on the whole won't work via the netgear. :S

In the UK you need a modem and a router, or a one box modem/router combo.

Isn't that what I have? I have a wireless modem and now a wireless router.

Edited by JT!