29" Inch Trials Bike?

shercofray

Okay just starting thinking about how 29ers are starting to take off in the mtb world and just wanting peoples opinions whether they would ever take off in trials.

Haven't really looked into them but guessing they will be better rolling etc in mtb. But would they benefit in the trials world?

But yeah what's everyone's opinions?

People don't like change. Someone needs to just make one and see what its like. It would be a bit of a ball ache getting it on the back wheel with the massive chain stays though. I think it might be good for a really tall rider.

Thats what everyone said in mtb a couple of years ago...

This isn't MTB?

Edit: in comps most of the top riders can't just 'roll' over stuff, and theres not much to 'roll' over on street.

Edited by JMCD
  • Like 2

It would make an interesting experiment. If a custom frame manufacturer like Triton or Marino made one for fun (and suitably geo'd forks to match) it could be surprisingly good. We won't know for sure until it's actually tried and tested. :teehee:

I think the main holdback would be the lack of suitable rims/tyres for trials use. Suitable geometry can just be dialled over time though (much like 24" TGS). At a guess something like 395/400mm stays (or whatever the possible shortest a 29" wheel would allow) along with a high BB would be a reasonable place to start from... If anyone does decide to run with that ball!

We need someone massive to try it, the best person I can think of is ben rowlands because he's pretty damn tall.

Or i'll wait till i've finished growing :P

Or someone with massive amounts of power who could throw it around like nothing. . .

• Like 1

it would be a disaster i think. The growth of the 24 market must have helped drive prices of mod and stock kit up as it gave more choice without a boom in the market. No question trials continues to grow but it is still a niche sport. I struggle with the fact that frames are still as expensive as they were 15 years ago when it was a very small community and it was just the likes of Monty, megamo, giant, pashley, orange etc making frames. There is much more competition now with the more modern specific manufacturers producing kit as well but it seems to be as dear if not more so than back then. Surely it should be cheaper now? I know you have to consider inflation but marketplace competition should have made more of a difference?

I think another class of bike would thin the individual markets out further and end up costing us more

The growth of the 24 market must have helped drive prices of mod and stock kit up

It hasn't?

Surely it should be cheaper now? I know you have to consider inflation but marketplace competition should have made more of a difference?

There's also the cost of materials which is much higher than it was, changes in import charges, etc. Not to mention that most older frames were basic as hell whereas most newer frames are going to take longer to produce because they're more intricate? Most frames now feature some sort of CNC parts on them whereas years ago that wasn't really the case.

Anyways - my understanding of it has been that 29ers are popular because the larger wheelsizes allow you to roll over rougher terrain better. I don't really see how that's applicable to trials? Most high BB bikes feel so bad to ride on 2 wheels I wouldn't really want to roll over anything anyway, but it seems that generally people want them to be as pogo-y as possible. Having larger wheels is going to make that worse while not really offsetting it with any advantage.

• Like 3