Sean Watson - Get Creative

cacklemus

i know this post will be hated but i don't like the way trials is going i dont even consider this trials any more.

you might as well bmx cause this is all it is but less impressive. If you like it or not trails is side hops gaps/to front and balance.

this is just street mountain biking.

When skateboarding first started off, a lot of it was competition based and used ideas borrowed from surfing that pretty much made it like some gimpy tap-dancing on a bit of wood. For example:

torger.jpg

JimMcallSeq.jpg

Skateboarders-60-Bearer-Johnson-Woodward.png

People started getting influences from other areas and trying new things, and gradually it moved away from that sort of shit to the kind of thing that people associate with 'skateboarding' now, such as this:

3-mins-sheckler-001.jpg

319885.jpg

I personally see Sean, Flipp, Ali and all of the other riders that people consider to be doing "Not Trials" as being the same as the people who dragged skateboarding out of it's whack early days and made it much more open-minded and creative. It's sort of the same deal with BMX in many ways - that started off as being competition/race-orientated when it kicked off properly, but now the BMX racing side of things is a little sideshow that's considered weird by most of the people who ride what's commonly thought of as being BMX. Also related to that, people who ride flatland ride bikes specific for that style of riding and it's still called BMX. People who ride dirt ride bikes tailored to that style of riding and that's still considered BMX. People who ride street ride bikes tailored to that and that too is considered BMX. I don't really see why trials should be any different? People just need to accept that whatever arbitrary point they've decided marks what trials "is" and "isn't" is void, and that people can and will change the boundaries.

It's interesting that you mentioned "gaps/to front" in your (fairly random) list of what "is" trials because when I started riding trials, moves "to front" didn't really exist. Everything was either bashring/bashplate, two wheels or rear wheel. No-one upped to front, no-one really gapped to front, no-one Frenchied, etc. - if people had decided then that riding circa 2000 was 'What trials was', most of the moves that are considered common place or 'What trials is' now wouldn't exist.

I'm glad Sean's out there making videos like this because to me they're pretty inspirational. I don't necessarily want to do all of the moves that Sean does, but I don't watch it with the mindset of "Do I want to do this move?", I watch it to see what path he's going down and the sort of crazy stuff he comes up with. Because of that I don't see it as some sort of threat to what I consider is "trials". It's just the other end of the trials spectrum to the UCI comp riding elite shit, but with the difference that it's constantly broadening that spectrum and opening new avenues up for riding. It's given me some ideas for things to try and adapt and use for lines that I want to do, even if I don't really intend on learning barspins or doing two-footed wallplants next time I go out riding.

Anyway, essay shit aside, why the f**k hasn't anyone pointed out the pallet dominoes yet?! He deserves to win the comp for that alone! When watching a lot of the videos for the GETcreative comp they just came across to me as standard riding videos with maybe a little flourish here or there to try and up the game a bit. That's all well and good, but this was basically what I was hoping to see from someone. I had no idea what was going to happen next for the entire of that video, and that's pretty rare these days when you can pretty much pre-empt every move that someone's doing in a video.

• Like 8

It´s not easy to appreciate something you don´t like you know?

i don't like classical music but i can appreciate that its an amazing feat of musical talent, coordination and timing? jus cos u don't like something doesn't mean its not good?

When skateboarding first started off, a lot of it was competition based and used ideas borrowed from surfing that pretty much made it like some gimpy tap-dancing on a bit of wood. For example:

torger.jpg

JimMcallSeq.jpg

Skateboarders-60-Bearer-Johnson-Woodward.png

People started getting influences from other areas and trying new things, and gradually it moved away from that sort of shit to the kind of thing that people associate with 'skateboarding' now, such as this:

3-mins-sheckler-001.jpg

319885.jpg

I personally see Sean, Flipp, Ali and all of the other riders that people consider to be doing "Not Trials" as being the same as the people who dragged skateboarding out of it's whack early days and made it much more open-minded and creative. It's sort of the same deal with BMX in many ways - that started off as being competition/race-orientated when it kicked off properly, but now the BMX racing side of things is a little sideshow that's considered weird by most of the people who ride what's commonly thought of as being BMX. Also related to that, people who ride flatland ride bikes specific for that style of riding and it's still called BMX. People who ride dirt ride bikes tailored to that style of riding and that's still considered BMX. People who ride street ride bikes tailored to that and that too is considered BMX. I don't really see why trials should be any different? People just need to accept that whatever arbitrary point they've decided marks what trials "is" and "isn't" is void, and that people can and will change the boundaries.

It's interesting that you mentioned "gaps/to front" in your (fairly random) list of what "is" trials because when I started riding trials, moves "to front" didn't really exist. Everything was either bashring/bashplate, two wheels or rear wheel. No-one upped to front, no-one really gapped to front, no-one Frenchied, etc. - if people had decided then that riding circa 2000 was 'What trials was', most of the moves that are considered common place or 'What trials is' now wouldn't exist.

I'm glad Sean's out there making videos like this because to me they're pretty inspirational. I don't necessarily want to do all of the moves that Sean does, but I don't watch it with the mindset of "Do I want to do this move?", I watch it to see what path he's going down and the sort of crazy stuff he comes up with. Because of that I don't see it as some sort of threat to what I consider is "trials". It's just the other end of the trials spectrum to the UCI comp riding elite shit, but with the difference that it's constantly broadening that spectrum and opening new avenues up for riding. It's given me some ideas for things to try and adapt and use for lines that I want to do, even if I don't really intend on learning barspins or doing two-footed wallplants next time I go out riding.

Anyway, essay shit aside, why the f**k hasn't anyone pointed out the pallet dominoes yet?! He deserves to win the comp for that alone! When watching a lot of the videos for the GETcreative comp they just came across to me as standard riding videos with maybe a little flourish here or there to try and up the game a bit. That's all well and good, but this was basically what I was hoping to see from someone. I had no idea what was going to happen next for the entire of that video, and that's pretty rare these days when you can pretty much pre-empt every move that someone's doing in a video.

yea what he said :dance:

i don't like classical music but i can appreciate that its an amazing feat of musical talent, coordination and timing? jus cos u don't like something doesn't mean its not good?

Who said it´s not good?I said I don´t like it,that´s all...I´m sure Sean is fine with that too.

Lol, it was not because of drops. I hate trials? Lol u mad, I love trials(don't you mean TGS when you say trials? pass through an obstacles may be f**king different) What I don't like is TGS and stick-like frames, but who cares?

I know it wasn´t because of drops, you didn´t. You can´t judge something without actually doing it at some level. When Ali says he doesn´t like it, it´s ok, he tried it and was reasonably good at TGS moves. You are riding "trials" for what?Few months? How do you know what is good geometry? Based on what? Years of experience? Or having a hop on friends bike with high BB?

Who said it´s not good?I said I don´t like it,that´s all...I´m sure Sean is fine with that too.

I know it wasn´t because of drops, you didn´t. You can´t judge something without actually doing it at some level. When Ali says he doesn´t like it, it´s ok, he tried it and was reasonably good at TGS moves. You are riding "trials" for what?Few months? How do you know what is good geometry? Based on what? Years of experience? Or having a hop on friends bike with high BB?

oh my god.. I ride long enough to know how geo affects on riding. And I don't need to "having a hop on friends bike with high BB" because before marino I rode 24 "pure trials" bike with brakes. I know what is good geometry you said? Good for what? I said only that I hate stick frames with high BB and high stems and all this comp-like shit enhanced only to do things on rear wheel, because for me it doesn't feels like bicycle.

Edited by clerictgm

I enjoyed it. Watching people on inspireds/street style bikes is interesting with there riding styles as it shows there creativity and imagination off but it just takes it away from pure trials. I mean i enjoyed it and i like seeing new things.

But Trials isn't really trials from how it was many years ago :/

I mean these kind of riders what do they class them self as when they describe what they do?

Edited by Andeee

I enjoyed it. Watching people on inspireds/street style bikes is interesting with there riding styles as it shows there creativity and imagination off but it just takes it away from pure trials. I mean i enjoyed it and i like seeing new things.

But Trials isn't really trials from how it was many years ago :/

I mean these kind of riders what do they class them self as when they describe what they do?

No offence, but you haven't exactly been riding all that long. When you started trials was probably TGS (taking a guess here). Trials when I started was on XC bikes with the seat lowered and just trying to do cool stuff.

When I'm out riding I say I'm riding a form of trials, people see my bike and instantly call it a trials bike.

No offence, but you haven't exactly been riding all that long. When you started trials was probably TGS (taking a guess here). Trials when I started was on XC bikes with the seat lowered and just trying to do cool stuff.

When I'm out riding I say I'm riding a form of trials, people see my bike and instantly call it a trials bike.

Been around since 2003 the days of having any slalom frame for a stock and when v-brakes were cool as f**k, didn't discover a forum until late 2006.

You know the days when most people found Hawyes, Ashton, hans rey and chris akrigg the bosses.

Edited by Andeee

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't BMX's have 20" wheels? :giggle:

Seriusly though contreversy aside, that was an awesome video. I loved everything about it, from the music to the colour choice to the creative riding. Got to give it top marks for creativity and for being an all round great video. :bow:

Jaw-droppingly good. Just immense.

I love how Sean (like most of the brakeless guys) isn't afraid to ride outside the traditional 'trials' box, and blur the line. So innovative and progressive - this is the kind of things that gives trials half a chance of ever being 'cool' or entertaining. F'cken dope.

Also, Watson is just hilarious...

Better get a quick word here before the primitive conversations explode. Dropped some hammers in there sean.

The deer at the beginning i thought could have paid homage to the cow that appears in the middle of Mathieu Hassovitz's la haine? aha.

Great edit. It's going to be close by the looks of it, between this and Ali C / Marks triumph.

hey!i mentioned the dominos.

mark said it in a way noone could do better,i see hes one of us guys who raped our xc,bmx,or commuters to try stuff that was "trials these days".

in a world of pogo sticks sean is probably more "trials back in the days" as a gilles is... :giggle:

Edited by FamilyBiker