Lance Armstrong

monkeyseemonkeydo

People need to remember a couple of things here though

Firstly, it's not just cycling - It's literally every competitive sport, predominately all those that are Olympic disciplines

Secondly, Lance wasn't the only culprit here. He would have had such a large amount of people who knew that he doped and helped him but covered it up anyway most likely for the cash.

I think when you get a large amount of athletes and officials at the top of the game who are willing to go to such extreme lengths to cover something up, then something is fundamentally wrong with the sport. (actually, them willing to do this might suggest that they care for the sports image in a f**ked up way, if you imagine they did it to popularise the sport then I wonder how many people would actually blame them? after all, cycling is really bloody boring)

On a more personal note though, I think performance enhancing drugs and doping methods should be legal in all sports. It would definitely make them ten times more entertaining - especially the really dull ones like golf, darts, snooker and cycling.

On a more personal note though, I think performance enhancing drugs and doping methods should be legal in all sports. It would definitely make them ten times more entertaining - especially the really dull ones like golf, darts, snooker and cycling.

Snooker would be interesting, spectators behind tempered glass...

for the "Armstrong had to dope to beat the dopers" argument - Look at the tour top 10 results from 1999 to 2005. Not a single 'totally clean'* rider got anywhere near winning. I think Zubeldia got closest at nearly 7 minutes back and most of them were back beyond 10 minutes. in fact it seems in the top 10 for those tours was generally only 2 riders and never did any of them reach the podium. Thats if you even believe that they were clean !

Count the 'clean' tour winners since 99

Gay little cadel, carlos sastre and Wiggins.

I actually think cycling would have been better if they had just left Armstrong alone - what has it achieved ? They discredited the last great winner, cancer surviver and inspiration to probably millions for doping through the most drugged up era in cycling. And shown the world that pretty much everyone is or more importantly could be cheating.

UCI and the USADAs reputations are shot to shit, and the whole investigation stank of shit even though he admitted it in the end.

I think that what bothers me most is that everyone who wins a tour will now automatically be a suspect to the general public. Wiggins included (in fact I really couldnt say either way whether I believed he wasnt doping).

*going with the awesome wiki status of the riders (burn the witch)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

sorry for the bump, but this is a subject that really gets on my tits, 98% of profesional and a large proportion of amateur road racers are all on something, everyone in cycling is aware of it, they're all hypocrites, Armstrong was the best in his generation, as was cipollini, as was Merx as was Belmontes, Indurain, all of them had a bit of extra "help". this is an old fasioned witch hunt, nuff said..

sorry for the bump, but this is a subject that really gets on my tits, 98% of profesional and a large proportion of amateur road racers are all on something, everyone in cycling is aware of it, they're all hypocrites, Armstrong was the best in his generation, as was cipollini, as was Merx as was Belmontes, Indurain, all of them had a bit of extra "help". this is an old fasioned witch hunt, nuff said..

As has been said a million times, it's not about the doping to win thing, it's the fact he was a massive twat and screwed people over.

that is one hell of a bold statement...(and not just because I bolded it). I would actually disagree. My guess is that you are insinuating the use of drugs, and while the Lance issue has highlighted the use of drugs in his 'TDF Victories', that doesnt mean that you should just tarnish the rest of the cycling world as drug users.

I guess by your insinuation that team Sky, who are confidently boasting their 'clean' status, which also stretches to the british cycling team currently owning in minsk are all on drugs?

• Like 1

I guess by your insinuation that team Sky, who are confidently boasting their 'clean' status, which also stretches to the british cycling team currently owning in minsk are all on drugs?

I'd bet a bollock on it. They are all at it! I know a cyclist (who I obviously won't name) who is close mates with people who often train with the likes of Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins etc. All of the top lads are using naughty things, otherwise they wouldn't be at the top.

I'd bet a bollock on it. They are all at it! I know a cyclist (who I obviously won't name) who is close mates with people who often train with the likes of Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins etc. All of the top lads are using naughty things, otherwise they wouldn't be at the top.

I seriously doubt that. I'm sure they stretch what's legal (regs-wise not law) to the limit but it's just not worth the risk doing anything that's actually illegal/forbidden. That's not to say that they haven't dabbled in the past when it was the done thing but I would bet your other bollock that the guys you mention are 100% clean (again, just within the regs) at the moment and over the past good few years.

They're at the top because of the massive investment in time, money and science that has been put into the team's success. When Team Sky was formed their goal was to have a Tour win in the following 3 or 4 years. I dread to think how many tens of millions were spent achieving that goal but they made it by treating the whole thing in the efficient, businesslike way that the likes of F1 teams use to get the most from their opportunities. It paid off. Similarly for the Olympics guys UK Sport spent countless millions on the run up to Beijing and again before London to ensure that when it mattered the team were on absolute top form on the best kit having investigated every possible potential advantage.

Edit: But back on topic; Lance Armstrong is a cunt.

You really think if they'd plowed tens of millions into a cycling team, that they wouldn't have worked out how to get round the drugs tests?

If Armstrong did it for so many years, then they how to avoid capture, and if they've put all that money into the team then they will have been doing anything they could to win, which is exactly what they did.

• 5 weeks later...