IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Spec:

Frame: Ashton Ed Tongue

Fork: Ashton Justice

Front wheel: Dee Vee rim on American Classic

Rear wheel: Dee Vee rim on Chris King Singlespeed (running 18:14)

Tyres: Tioga comp x

Cranks/BB: Middleburn with bash on Shimano UN55 BB

Chain/Tensioner: KMC Z610 and Superstar tensioner

Pedals: Onza Hognesium

Front Brake: Bb7 with SD7 lever

Rear Brake: Deore with Inspired slim pads, SD7 lever, Blank linear cable

Grips: Odi X trainer

Bars: Trialtech High risers

Stem: System X (90*35)

Headset: FSA Orbit + Hope spacers

Saddle/Post: Gusset

Might get a downtube protector, I think I'd cry if I bashed this frame!

I've barely had a chance to ride it, partly because rain + smooth rim is scary, but it feels awesome so far.

• Like 3

Glad you went for those forks lad. They suit the bike perfectly. Glad to be of assistance. :wink:

It looks like it'll ride amazingly too. Good bar and stem set up that! I can tell by looking at it that it'll be a good alrounder.

The only thing ive got agaisnt it is the gear ratio set up. It looks a bit small/light? I'd have a double wrap on the chain tensioner.

Need to get a ride on in Glasgow one day! Oh, btw, what street is there to ride down your way?

Cheers Ross you're probably right about the ratio, it had a 15t on before so this is at least an improvement! Also the chain wrap, I hate it but I don't know if I can spare to take a link out?

edit: there's very little street riding here. :(

Leon, I did get them off eBay but only a few days ago!

Edited by Pete.M

Cheers Ross you're probably right about the ratio, it had a 15t on before so this is at least an improvement! Also the chain wrap, I hate it but I don't know if I can spare to take a link out?

edit: there's very little street riding here. :(

Leon, I did get them off eBay but only a few days ago!

Ah! I think they are probably mine & were sold on, I brought them new & used them once, so you should get your moneys worth lol.

Edited by LEON

I bought them new, paint stripped that awful red off that same day, polished the shit out of them, went for a quick roll around & they were just too short for a bike with an already low bottom bracket.

They are lovely & straight though, hardly any rake.

They seem to sell well on ebay too, usually go for 30-35 quid.

Edited by LEON

What does this feel like? Kinda curious since way back in the day people would run them with, say, 110x5* stems.

Does it just ride like a modern 24 with that bar/stem, or is there a hint of the old-school feel about it? (And what's the geo, if you know it?)

Did people only run those stems because there wasn't any short high ones about? I know I had a 120x10* on my Leeson and it was nice.

Edit: It LOOKS absolutely lovely though :P

Edited by aener

I might have to get back to you on that one, I've barely had a chance to ride it, so it's hard to say how it feels.

I also can't really make a comparison between this and newer 24s, because I've genuinely never ridden a 24 before, which will probably make people rage! ha.

From initial impressions, it feels surprisingly modern. The longer chainstays are probably the most old-school feature. I had a much lower and even shorter front end set-up on it a few weeks ago, it felt ok for most things but not bunnyhops, which is exactly what I wanted to be doing!

Maybe you're right about short high stems not really existing at that time, or maybe they had silly long forks back then, I dunno.

Some rough 'tape measure' geo:

1035, +30, 385

That's with the justice forks.

I'm not a basher, that's why it's in that condition. I have far too much mechanical sympathy to be a trials rider

bb is +35. I had zoot forks on it, and after that echo sl's

Edited by bing
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...