Useless Bike Shops

hypermobilty

The measurement between two chain rivets is one inch. Once the chain streches that measurment gains millemeters and also widens the gaps in the cassette teeth. When this happens a new half inch pitch chain wont line up on the cassette cogs.and it will skip over the teeth. And if it doesnt skip it will strech sooner and snap sooner

I can't remember if it was here or OTN where I was bitching about this. But I wanted housing for a full sus mountain bike cut to length. It didn't occur to me to measure because I'd have though they could just measure up against a bike there. They flat out refused to because 'all bikes are different' and cut a foot for the front and 6ft for the back. Obviously 6ft was about twice the length it needed to be so i had to take it back and have it re cut, which they messed up and I had to neaten it up when I got home.

The Guys down at our local halfrauds have some pretty decent guys but i find its normally when a shop like that employs non riders it goes down hill. Although i have had very good experiences with smaller bikeshops. Went to a cycles Uk to buy a chain tool and the threads stripped which was really my fault for using a cheaper tool on a tank chain when it was meant for mid range mtb chains and the like and i went back to show them the tool as i had to buy new gripsanyway and they re-funded it no questions asked.

i have seen a few bikes that have been assembled by a halfords store that have their forks on backwards, if they dont know which way forks go on then surely there could be other problems with the bike that could make them potentially dangerous to kids, i thought they safety checked every bike before it left the store?

• Like 1

Come on, give them a break. I'm sure the forks were all tight and secure... just on backwards.

still i would rather build my bikes myself (and my friends bikes if needed) and buy my own tools than take it to a bike shop unless its for stuff like wheel builds then i will take it to a place that is rider owned

I know what you mean. I don't think someone with no mechanical knowledge, a good friend to help with maintaining your bike is safe from serious mechanical failures during riding. I quite often have a go on someone else's bike and find myself spending the next ten mins fixing it before riding it properly

• Like 1

i have seen a few bikes that have been assembled by a halfords store that have their forks on backwards, if they dont know which way forks go on then surely there could be other problems with the bike that could make them potentially dangerous to kids, i thought they safety checked every bike before it left the store?

ive fixed so many of these. our store is pretty on it with builds and repairs, but some of the bikes brought in by the customers are jokes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...