Nokia Connects Go! [Video Challenge]

Paul At Connects

Paul emailed me and said if you don't get chance to get enough footage in the 2 weeks there's a chance to extend it slightly. Gives me a good excuse to go out riding and my HTC has got to go in for repair on Monday so all the more reason to give it a try!

• Like 1

I'm still confused, seems like a cheap way to get advertising for the company, but what's in it for the rider? Unless I'm missing the point and to people interested in tech it's worth it to see how a new(?) model phone feels like?

I mainly did it to see if it's better than my Samsung or not. So far I'd say it's nowhere as good, but I'm yet to test the video out properly.

I guess what's in it for the rider is a free video device for a few weeks to get an edit done, don't see how Nokia benefits from this though?

Nokia benefits like Ali said through cheap advertising. From what I've seen people pick phones generally by word of mouth of what's good and from seeing what their friends own. If the phone is any good then it should sell itself and currently Nokia are well behind Apple and Android on the mobile market share and need all the help they can get to win people back.

In regards to what is in it for the rider I'm not sure really, just works out well for me as I'll be without a phone (well, one that does more than ring and text) for at least a couple of weeks so may as well take the opportunity while it's there.

the footage becomes theirs and they are free to use it as they wish no? Plus they've tempted you with a phone that if you want you're going to have to fork out a lot of money for. Instead of (or as well as) commercials costing hundreds of thousands, they just spend a little on some phones and postage and get people to do the hard work.

I'm not at all hating on them, it's a clever way of getting their name out there, but personally I would be wanting more (like a free phone if they use your footage or something). But I guess you're right in that not everyone has a camera, so it is a free way to borrow one for a while.

Never even spotted the comp element to it (pretty poor considering the title of the topic!), I just emailed the guy saying I wouldn't mind trying the phone out. The actual phone loan agreement doesn't mention anything at all about entering the competition just purely about the length of the trial and about keeping the phone safe.

EDIT: Just had a proper read of it all and it does seem to be that Nokia will agree to loan a phone to you if you're serious about creating an entry for the competition. Upon sending your entry in

you license and grant to the Sponsor a non-exclusive, royalty-free and free of charge, perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable, and fully sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, copy, modify, adapt, communicate to the public, make available, publish, translate, create derivative works of, distribute, and display such Content or any concept described in it throughout the world in any media, product and/service, including, without limitation, game decks, games, consoles, wireless devices, mobile phones and any related products, services and accessories, advertising, marketing and promotional materials, and digital reproductions, without compensation, restrictions on use, acknowledgement of source, accountability or liability, and with waiver of all moral rights and rights of attribution, integrity and identity to the extent permitted by mandatory laws.

which sucks balls if your creation is a youtube busting Danny Mac epic with some real financial potential but I personally don't think I'll be reaching that sort of level.

Never even spotted the comp element to it (pretty poor considering the title of the topic!), I just emailed the guy saying I wouldn't mind trying the phone out. The actual phone loan agreement doesn't mention anything at all about entering the competition just purely about the length of the trial and about keeping the phone safe.

EDIT: Just had a proper read of it all and it does seem to be that Nokia will agree to loan a phone to you if you're serious about creating an entry for the competition. Upon sending your entry in

which sucks balls if your creation is a youtube busting Danny Mac epic with some real financial potential but I personally don't think I'll be reaching that sort of level.

Having mentioned that... Surely it would put people off the competition and upload it to youtube or vimeo instead?

if you planned on making a youtube busting video, you'd do it with your own camera.. or borrowing one of a friend. Making really good footage for Nokia for the payment of the use of a phone for a few weeks make little sense. Making a back garden video on the other hand, it seems like a win/win situation. You get to do some riding, and produce something that might be better than your usual standard.. :P

Making really good footage for Nokia for the payment of the use of a phone for a few weeks make little sense.

The fact it's a competition to win the actual phone maybe? Though yes I agree that if you were making a film on the premise of it being picked up by millions you'd make sure you kept hold of the rights to it.

The fact it's a competition to win the actual phone maybe? Though yes I agree that if you were making a film on the premise of it being picked up by millions you'd make sure you kept hold of the rights to it.

Ah yes, but the money you'd spend going to different places and the time it would take you.. you might end up spending more than the phone is worth and lose the rights to a really good video? If you win I guess you'd get publicity at least, which would in turn perhaps bring sponsors and new offers?

Ah yes, but the money you'd spend going to different places and the time it would take you.. you might end up spending more than the phone is worth and lose the rights to a really good video? If you win I guess you'd get publicity at least, which would in turn perhaps bring sponsors and new offers?

I don't get how they can prove they have the rights though? Other than the agreement when you accept the rules...

You accepting the terms of the competition which grant them the rights to your video is all the 'proof' they'd need.

Hmm even if I uploaded to say vimeo? What if I didn't even release a video that was recorded by the lumia?

Would they have rights over every single video I ever release? Sorry if I'm going on, I'm just a little worried.

Oops didnt realise I sent the other post...

Edited by JMCD

Would they have rights over every single video I ever release?

No, they'd have the rights to the video you created for this competition. The rights which you gave to them by agreeing their terms and conditions prior to entering this competition. The answers are in the terms and conditions...

• Like 1

I'm still confused, seems like a cheap way to get advertising for the company, but what's in it for the rider? Unless I'm missing the point and to people interested in tech it's worth it to see how a new(?) model phone feels like?

Hi guys, we feature the best videos on Nokia Conversations, so it's quite a big window for riders to reach more people and generally gain attention on a global scale. Have a look here, the last rider we featured was an unicyclist:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/11/06/one-wheel-one-nokia-lumia-900-2/