The Carthy Bar Angle.

Laurence--Trials

I guess i'm just sort of putting this out there as such.. or finding if one or something close to this geometry is made.

After trying the proper carthy bar angle last night and almost breaking my wrists because of the geometry of the bars i went to find out what geo stem you would need to have your bars at a normal angle but in the same place..

So after doing the this (picture below) i found (if running the trial tech carbon bars like me) you'd need to run a 150mmX13deg stem but upside down.

Is there anything like that out there at the moment? if you could run your bars normal again would it have benefits?

Yes my workings out arn't neat.

post-22746-0-05789400-1354033550_thumb.j

post-22746-0-77404400-1354033563_thumb.j

post-22746-0-84774800-1354033604_thumb.j

I was wondering how long until people started going for this option - seems like the more logical way to achieve the same benefits of the Carthy setup to me, but I'm sure people with more knowledge on that style of riding will come say why I'm wrong!

• Like 1

I think it would look even more "wrong" than the way theyre run now.

I quite like it now. Mine aren't to the extreme Carthy/Gilles are at, but it makes my bike stand a little straighter and easier, and gaps to front and such feel nicer.

Do you have a girlfriend?

He has too much spare time apparently.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Did you take into account the head tube angle? I think it also affects this although I'm not sure what you're essentially trying to prove.

No i haven't. It shouldn't make too much difference though, all the angles and positions etc are still the same when tilted back/forward if you see what i mean.

Well..

1 i was trying to see if there was a stem already out there with that sort of geo

2 i wanted to see if there were any benefits from running it like this, as appose to upside down? because when i ride with my bars like that it kills my wrists. i rode for half an hour last night and my wrists are still cracking and hurting now.

3 i was bored.

Edited by Laurence--Trials

This topic makes me think back to how Neil Tunnicliffe ran his first Adamant A1 bike set up back around 2007. Trying to find a pic of that bike.

He was using normal echo stem(135x15 I think) and normal adamant bars...Nothing simmilar to this.

http://i72.servimg.com/u/f72/12/12/14/19/ntb10.jpg

Edited by ghostrider88
  • Like 1

You tried your bars forward. That resulted in it hurting your wrist's

You then came up with the idea of getting a stem to put your handlebars in the exact position that hurt your wrist's only your handle bars would be the opposite way around?

Sweet.

His bars would be at a "normal" angle, with a comfortable amount of upsweep and backsweep. The stem in question puts the bars at a level relative to what they would be with a conventional stem and the carthy style angle, so in theory, you could have the handling characteristics of the carthy angle, without a silly bar angle and have comfortable wrists.

The stem would look majorly wrong however.

Edited by Echo Lite 09
  • Like 2

You then came up with the idea of getting a stem to put your handlebars in the exact position that hurt your wrist's only your handle bars would be the opposite way around?

Sweet.

I'm pretty sure that it was the angle of his bars that hurt his wrists, not there position.

So having your contact points in the same place as the 'carthy style' but with a reasonable bar angle instead actually makes sense..

• Like 1

I guess i'm just sort of putting this out there as such.. or finding if one or something close to this geometry is made.

After trying the proper carthy bar angle last night and almost breaking my wrists because of the geometry of the bars i went to find out what geo stem you would need to have your bars at a normal angle but in the same place..

So after doing the this (picture below) i found (if running the trial tech carbon bars like me) you'd need to run a 150mmX13deg stem but upside down.

Is there anything like that out there at the moment? if you could run your bars normal again would it have benefits?

Yes my workings out arn't neat.

wow......

(ps you need to take into account the odd geometry of the sky 2 stupid bb and a steeper head angle ..

i recommend you run your bars properly or break your wrists ..

Sweet.

His bars would be at a "normal" angle, with a comfortable amount of upsweep and backsweep. The stem in question puts the bars at a level relative to what they would be with a conventional stem and the carthy style angle, so in theory, you could have the handling characteristics of the carthy angle, without a silly bar angle and have comfortable wrists.

The stem would look majorly wrong however.

Hit the nail on the head :)

I've rode dave kerr's rockman slate xl, and it has bars the same angle as Carthys more or less. the bar angle is stupid on the flat, and does hurt your wrists like hell. however, on the back wheel, you are nearly vertical and your hands are in the perfect place for big gaps. you can also get a load more power into gaps and stuff. it makes sense, but unless you are a massively skilled rider who can do real big stuff, you won't benefit from it in my mind. Carthy and dave are world class UCI level riders, and that's what works for them

• Like 2

I've rode dave kerr's rockman slate xl, and it has bars the same angle as Carthys more or less. the bar angle is stupid on the flat, and does hurt your wrists like hell. however, on the back wheel, you are nearly vertical and your hands are in the perfect place for big gaps. you can also get a load more power into gaps and stuff. it makes sense, but unless you are a massively skilled rider who can do real big stuff, you won't benefit from it in my mind. Carthy and dave are world class UCI level riders, and that's what works for them

i benefited from it straight off, posture and control was loads better. im not a world class uci level rider...

leave it a few days your wrists will get used to it, i hated it at first but its wrong to leave an opinion after just a ride, leave it at least a week and your wrist will adapt i would have thought, i can kinda see the sense in your ideas, but i dont think there will be a trials specific stem with that geometry. once you used to how the bike reacts with that bar angle i found it 100 x better, now it feels weird when bars are at "normal" angles and that the "carthy/gilles" angle feels second nature.