The Angry Thread.

Blake

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2020 at 11:01 AM, MadManMike said:

So, multiple salt baths yesterday... the one just before bed made 'Mount Mike' erupt. It's still pretty swollen and I'm sure there's more in there, but importantly it's making it's own way out :)

Fingers crossed it clears up quickly!

At least your dick didn't rot off though

9 hours ago, Tony Harrison said:

At least your dick didn't rot off though

This is true.

The lump has mostly "re-absorbed", but can still be seen... I've avoided surgery though, so that's a result in itself.

Jet lag has mostly gone now, I forced myself to stay up until 11 last night to try and get things back in sync.

Took my hope mono trials to my LBS today, they wouldn't touch them because they weren't on a bike. So now I have to put them back on my bike, take the whole thing in, so they can be removed from the bike to service them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JT! said:

Took my hope mono trials to my LBS today, they wouldn't touch them because they weren't on a bike. So now I have to put them back on my bike, take the whole thing in, so they can be removed from the bike to service them.

What was their reasoning behind that?

This is why I never take anything to an LBS. I actually broke my rule and committed to getting some wheels built for the Gobi desert hand cycle but over a month later nothing's happened so I'm going to ask them to source the spokes and build them myself I think. What do you need doing to the brake?

On 2/29/2020 at 0:29 PM, MadManMike said:

What was their reasoning behind that?

I left a little bit of the story out, I also wanted 10" removed from both hoses. And thinking about it the next day, I don't think they had a problem with servicing the brakes off the bike, but they did have an issue cutting any length off because when I put them on the bike, I could find out that 10" was too much and blame the LBS.

I explained my bike is in pieces and I measured it perfectly and i knew what I was doing, but he still refused.

On 2/29/2020 at 1:41 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

This is why I never take anything to an LBS. I actually broke my rule and committed to getting some wheels built for the Gobi desert hand cycle but over a month later nothing's happened so I'm going to ask them to source the spokes and build them myself I think. What do you need doing to the brake?

They've been sat in a shed for 10 years, pulled the bike out and the front one worked although it was a little squishy, the rear one had clearly been leaking around the lever piston and didn't work at all.

I'm wondering if this is something I should just attempt myself.

3 hours ago, JT! said:

They've been sat in a shed for 10 years, pulled the bike out and the front one worked although it was a little squishy, the rear one had clearly been leaking around the lever piston and didn't work at all.

Sounds like a set of seals and a bleed and you'd be good.

4 hours ago, JT! said:

The thing is, you have the bike shop as a safety net whether you choose to try and do it yourself or not.  Essentially, at the moment, the brake isn't working.  If you try and fix it and it works, you're all good.  If you try and fix it but can't, you're in the same position as before so you can just take the brake to the shop anyway.  There are plenty of good tutorials on Youtube (especially for Hope stuff), so it shouldn't be too bad to give it a go if you've got the tools required.

Obviously if you try prising the pistons out with a claw hammer or something equally stupid then you'll be in a worse spot as you'll now need to replace stuff that otherwise wouldn't have required it, but if you just take your time and don't do anything (too :p) stupid you'll be all good.

There are certain things you learn by looking after your own bike that can mean that you really level up your bike setup for very little effort.  Things like centralising pistons - I used to have the luxury of being able to badger @Cap into fixing my brakes for me, but then when I left TartyBikes I had to do it myself.  Learning how to centralise pistons has meant that my brakes now feel pretty nice all the time now, whereas before they would be nice when Cap initially sorted them for me, but over time would just spiral.  Things like that and learning about keeping your spoke tensions good can keep your bike feeling better for longer, but are the kind of thing you'll only know about if you do it yourself.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Even going to my local Barclays Bank, only 2 out of 12 ATM available, with a staff wearing gloves and wiping down the touchscreen and buttons after each customer use. Madness.

Food retailers could hike their prices and still make a killing with the way things are going.

I got a big shop in the other day. Hit up walmart for a couple of hundred dollars worth of food. I did an online order for pickup so I didn't have to be around other people. Lots of substitutions because they were just out of so much stuff. The lady who brought my stuff out told me a guy ordered about $700 worth of canned goods the day before.

Do people think toilet roll cures the flue? I can’t think of any other reason why people would stockpile it? 

it’s handy to have but I would consider it a luxury item rather than vital...food and water is vital, toilet roll is not 

2 hours ago, Ali C said:

Do people think toilet roll cures the flue? I can’t think of any other reason why people would stockpile it? 

it’s handy to have but I would consider it a luxury item rather than vital...food and water is vital, toilet roll is not 

People fear the Domino effect of the food distribution chain will significantly slowdown or stop when you consider there is never enough staff in retail stores long before the virus became a viral thing. But yeah the loo roll thing is mad. Customers at my local ALDI can only buy a maximum 4 of the same item, regardless of brand/name. 

I witness one guy withdraw £500 out the ATM.

Thing I don't get is even in countries with severe restrictions/lockdowns, pharmacies, supermarkets and the like are all still allowed to open so people can still get food and supplies.  The shops themselves have said supply chains are still open/unrestricted too.  Even in the worst hit countries (e.g. China and Italy) they've managed to make it work, so I would have thought things would have had to get a shitload worse before there were any real problems.  

The only 'problem' now is that people are being f**ks, so the shortages aren't actual shortages, just unusual buying patterns throwing shops off.

Trump is either a Madman, a genius, or a Mad genius, if he is serious about seeking an exclusive rights to potential vaccine deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/not-for-sale-anger-in-germany-at-report-trump-seeking-exclusive-coronavirus-vaccine-deal

Doesn't give two f**ks about saving humanity, only saving presidential re-election.

Edited by Rusevelt

Nursery’s covid19 policy is different to government guidelines and will probably mean Griff will be isolated for 14 days unnecessarily, costing us a shit load having to pay nursery and not be payed by work. And then do it all again when we actually get it.