The Angry Thread.

Blake

Finally got my motorcycle forks back after 14 months.

Had them retubed as the original tubes were irreparably bent.

IMG_20210414_142539.thumb.jpg.df618020996b721bcaccc0b0678f723f.jpg

That part of the post technically should go into the happy thread. However...

I got time to inspect them properly yesterday and found a crack at the "drop outs". Probably crash damage from whoever bent them. I didn't see this since I left the paint on when I sent them off to be repaired. Repair dude apparently didn't see it either....

IMG_20210418_230420.thumb.jpg.d60bb24c23dcef4ed442fcb277aadec0.jpgIMG_20210418_230455.thumb.jpg.6068d1c1b6b34f3aa6991ea4e1996a2d.jpg

I know there are some talented welders on here. Can this safely be welded with the be tubes in place or would (heat induced) issues with the solder arise?

Properly bummed.

Could the crack be repaired with silver solder?  Not sure if it would give a robust enough repair or even if you could get it clean enough to do so.  Perhaps dip the dropouts in phosphoric acid to clean it up?

• Like 1

Same thoughts as above. Cleanliness is paramount to get silver solder to flow.

I'd be tempted to clean up the 'flat' / raised portion of the dropout, TIG weld it with very minimal filler, and drill a small hole at the end of the crack.

You can also get this funky heat putty stuff that would stop the heat going too far.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, forteh said:

Could the crack be repaired with silver solder?  Not sure if it would give a robust enough repair or even if you could get it clean enough to do so.  Perhaps dip the dropouts in phosphoric acid to clean it up?

8 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Same thoughts as above. Cleanliness is paramount to get silver solder to flow.

I'd be tempted to clean up the 'flat' / raised portion of the dropout, TIG weld it with very minimal filler, and drill a small hole at the end of the crack.

You can also get this funky heat putty stuff that would stop the heat going too far.

Will try to get hold of some phosphoric acid to clean it up.
Not sure how well solder would hold up. I'd mainly like to avoid a scenario where I suddenly run over my front wheel as much as possible.. I suppose Adams suggested weld would be stronger?
Currently still trying to find the real end of the crack, and I'm not sure if I can drill clean enough - I was always told to drill drum cymbals when they start to crack and not once did that help me.. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

In 14 months you'd think the repairer would've bead/sand blasted all the original parts to give it all the best start etc. for the future. That seems poor...

Yeah one would think so...

The work was carried out in the UK as no one in Switzerland does this anymore. Sent it over hust before covid with a quoted lead time of 12 weeks, this got extended a little because he ran out of tapered tubes. Then nothing else but covid happened and I assume he had lots of top paying jobs to do otherwise and my lowly forks were on the backburner gathering a light coat of rust.

His reputation is excellent as far as I can tell and I'm a bit surprised and slightly miffed to say the least to find this crack..

I just found a thread where someone is replacing the steering damper anchor points on the tank and deemed silver solder too weak for that, so I'm definitely not doing that with my forks! :ermm:

Yeah, I did have reservations about suggesting silver solder, it was more because it would flow in and fill the joint if you can get it clean enough.  I think Adams suggestion to dress it back and weld up the crack would be far better, I would find a local cast iron welder and see what they recommend.  It might be that you grind back with a die grinder and tungsten burr to give a weld prep and build it back up to surface with filler and linish flat; I think it should be possible to weld the end out of the crack as long as the weld pool is pulled past it and there is enough penetration going on.

• Like 1

I totally forgot it it being cast too.

There's a chap in town that welds/builds up completely grenaded cast heads and blocks but I'd probably need to sell a kidney to have any work carried out by him. I suppose it's worth asking him though!

Also am contacting the chap that retubed the forks, but honestly I can't be bothered sending them away again.

Here I am getting a positive corona test when things are starting to liven up again. I did a random test for one of those general surveys and got the results back when I was sat in the office. I was pretty knackered over the weekend, but I did a 150 mile bike ride on Friday so I'm going to go with me being asymptomatic.

Just a bit gutted my self-isolation timer ends at midnight of the bank holiday next week.

1 hour ago, Davetrials said:

7:00am "Gyms going well"

7.01am back tweaked now I cant walk/move/lie down

:lol: I did my trap doing weighted pull-ups on Monday and then lower back squatting too low yesterday! 

f**king agony yesterday but to be honest I had it coming after sleeping on the sofa all last week when I came in off nights. 

I'm two weeks into being fleeced at all oppurtunities by the chiropractor for pulling my back a couple of weekends ago.  I'm older than most on here and this was the third instance of the same injury in the last 5 years or so and I figured that I ought to get it looked at properly before it starts degenerating.

I had sprained my sacral facet joints and got a significant amount of anterior pelvic tilt/dippy spine going on (from being sat in the office for the last 20 years and not stretching my hips out at all).  Yes it's going to cost a few hundred quid but I'd rather get it ironed out now whilst I still have the chance to make a better recovery.

The crippling shooting pains have all gone now and hip movement is about 80%, still can't bend my spine forwards to any great degree yet but she reckons on another 4 weeks of treatment so a while to go.

Went to the physio and some acupuncture treatment, and the good news is nothing serious has wrong, just a strain/torn muscle, but it means I'll be out of action for a week and have that back anxiety again when it starts to recoup
Annoyed as i had such a good run with my back, its been f**king years since I threw it out, but I guess I've never spent 4 months of my life being a lazy useless shit.

@craigjames I'm starting to get better with stretching, but still stiff as a brick, I really might have to consider looking into yoga or something., been threatening it for years its just so god dam hard to get started when your joints are made of slate.

• Like 1

"The ideal candidates will be willing and strive to go the extra mile... "

The-Best-Route-Planner-for-Cycling-Walking-Hiking-and-Running-Komoot.thumb.png.dde5c1896e3c046f82d38c30c2be7e91.png 

Yeah? Well I went [pedalled] the extra mile 44 times over just for the feckin interview and you still didn't give me the job because it was evident that you wanted two 18 year olds so you can pay them f*** all an hour.

Or as you put it "The other candidates made a nearer fit to our requirements"

Cnuts.

Still. A sunny lunchtime come afternoon on the bike is never a wasted one right? Yeah: 'cept It halestoned stair rods coming back through Ulverston and was (according to my Bryton) about 37F/2deg C real feel for most of the way back.

Sub optimal.

Through an option not as shite as the train poses at the minute, 3hrs of waiting around in a bus shelter on the platform plus 40mins travel time each way, hence the conclusion of "I'll just f'kin ride there" when looking at the rail enquires website the day before.

Now off back to indeed...

Edited by CC12345678910

On 29/04/2021 at 4:43 PM, Davetrials said:

I really might have to consider looking into yoga or something., been threatening it for years its just so god dam hard to get started when your joints are made of slate.

This is when you make the most progress, and it feels the most rewarding. Look after your body now to reap the rewards later in life!

• Like 1

I've suffered with dodgy shoulders and back for years due to climbing and spending far too much of the working day in front of a computer. I've had to get in the routine of warming up and stretching out at the end of a climb, trapped nerves and muscle impingement occur fairly regularly if i don't. Lockdown was the worst for me, sat at my desk 5 days a week and out of the routine of stretching because no regular exercise/indoor climbing/motivation. Massively regret that now, stiff and sore and can't lift my left arm above shoulder height without pain, I've been back climbing two weeks and definitely feel better for the exercise having a regular stretch; the pain and restricted range of motion is easing slowly...

I'd get on it Dave, just some basic stretches to ease out  everything; you'll be surprised by how much it helps!

On a side note, selling a house is stressful!!! Just want to move into our new house already!

Yep, +1 for doing some stretching. I found a really basic 5min morning stretch routine on YouTube that did wonders for me. It really doesn't take much to start get things moving in the right direction.

Went climbing for the first time tonight and man alive, my flanks are achey today... skin held together which was a bonus, although I mulched my hand into the wall and have damaged something in my hand/wrist. Proprioception was turds the whole time yesterday, but fun nonetheless!

Buying a house is also pretty sucky - we got past the possible issues flagged in the survey, but now we've found from our solicitor that their solicitor still hasn't replied to stuff that was asked way back at the start of the process. Still waiting for the Property Information Form which we should have had from the get-go. The fact they're really dragging out supplying it is a little concerning, and also fairly ironic considering they were giving us grief for "holding things up".

Usual solicitors/estate agents email ping pong shit going on, but we're hopefully still going in the right direction.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mark W said:

Yep, +1 for doing some stretching. I found a really basic 5min morning stretch routine on YouTube that did wonders for me. It really doesn't take much to start get things moving in the right direction.

Went climbing for the first time tonight and man alive, my flanks are achey today... skin held together which was a bonus, although I mulched my hand into the wall and have damaged something in my hand/wrist. Proprioception was turds the whole time yesterday, but fun nonetheless!

Buying a house is also pretty sucky - we got past the possible issues flagged in the survey, but now we've found from our solicitor that their solicitor still hasn't replied to stuff that was asked way back at the start of the process. Still waiting for the Property Information Form which we should have had from the get-go. The fact they're really dragging out supplying it is a little concerning, and also fairly ironic considering they were giving us grief for "holding things up".

Usual solicitors/estate agents email ping pong shit going on, but we're hopefully still going in the right direction.

got a link mark? I've had a quick look but there's just so much choice

So they don't appear to have that same video available any more, I think they've paywalled it. They do a similar-ish one that you have to do an email sign up for which seems to take you to this which is similar, but more recent (and bizarrely filmed like shit, considering the original one was just on a tripod and worked really well...). 

That's more of a follow-along type thing, but they also discuss the individual components of it here from around 1:25 onwards:

As I mentioned before, it's really basic, but I found that it gave me a surprising amount of benefit. Being simple also means it's easier to just get it done with/without the video.

I don't do it every day any more, but I do still do some of the individual bits during the day if I feel like I need them in particular. The "dancers circle" thing seems to work well for my back when I make sure I do it with proper form, although to be fair the cat/cow and "reach for the sky" thing do quite a bit too. As before, they're really basic but they just work. If you're not great at forming new habits/routines, it's a good place to start.

• Thanks 1