The Angry Thread.

Blake

I think most people enjoy getting and also giving presents.

However, I don't quite get* the "what do you want" question above a certain age. I understand it by children since you don't want to get onto the wrong side of them.
But by grown ups? Either you know the person well enough to know what they'll appreciate or you don't need to be giving them anything at all. Unless you feel like it's a way of making up the lack of knowing them well?
I started making presents myself again, mainly for Christmas though, only a select few people get something for birthday from me. They're appreciated if they're somewhat useful, are fun to make for me and saves any kind of "what do you want" question. And if it's not appreciated the person won't be getting another next year. :P

*wrong thread, I know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I really don't get adult birthday/xmas presents... I'm 38 years old, if I want/need something I buy it. I don't need no damn charity!! [/miserable,ungrateful old b*****d].

I'm the same (except older), mrs wife knows that if I actually want something and it's of any reasonable value then I'll just go and buy it myself.  Part of being an adult or something I think?

• Like 2

Remember when it was a rule not to have obnoxious signatures and you'd always get that one new member who'd have a fullscreen picture of their bike in there?

Hell, remember the old validation system? Seems like a lifetime ago.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Davetrials said:

Inspired lost another good athlete, shame really, seems they keep losing them left right and centre

Try buying an inspired bike haha. I think they will be fine!

It is a shame they can't compete with the big boys though.

Kids have been back at school for a week and already my daughter has got to self isolate for 10 days after someone tested positive. 

That means she'll go back in next Thursday for 2 days then it's 2 weeks off for Easter, f**kin joke! 

On 12/03/2021 at 9:12 PM, Davetrials said:

Inspired lost another good athlete, shame really, seems they keep losing them left right and centre

Well, when mountain bike brands with huge chequebooks want to leverage millions of possible YouTube views to try and help sell whatever incremental change in MTB technology they're claiming is the next big thing, they know where to go don't they...

I'll be honest that it does suck that those brands that have no interest in trials keep swiping trials riders without doing anything to support it, but equally, Danny, Fabio and all those that will follow them will be able to earn a good living from riding for them. In fairness to Danny, out of loyalty to Inspired he stuck with them way longer than most other riders ever would have done with the offers he'd been getting after the April 2009 video.

I think it's fair to say that with the burgeoning 'athlete management' industry looking to get a cut on whatever deals are there to be made, that kind of brand loyalty is probably long gone. If Hans Rey had had a certain management company of today managing him back in the day, he wouldn't have been with them for 25+ years.

That said, the only real high profile departures were Danny in around 2016 and Fabio a couple of years ago? That covers the left and right, but not really the centre ;) It's fair to say they won't be the last as any MTB marketing department will have been able to see how those signings performed, but it is what it is.

Regarding Vasha though, might want to cool your jets until he says what bike he's riding for 2021... ;) 

8 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Well, when mountain bike brands with huge chequebooks want to leverage millions of possible YouTube views to try and help sell whatever incremental change in MTB technology they're claiming is the next big thing, they know where to go don't they...

This feels very personal. :lol:

I'll assume the money being thrown at both Danny and Fabio is huge, I've also never really thought about what little these brands are doing for the sport, which is exactly zero.

Hey can I buy that bike? "no don't be daft, but here's a big £10,000 bouncy bike instead"

I just had a look on Inspired's website to see who still rides for them, and wow their site looks outdated. It's like it hasn't been updated in 15 years.

Duncan Shaw has signed with Marin hasn't he? So he will probably be leaving the Inspired team soon.