The Happy Thread

Duncy H

We didn't do speeches, or a first dance, or toasting, or cake cutting (forgot) or a seating plan, or a sit down meal.

We did however have tables full of cake, kegs full of cider, barrels full of wine, roll top bath full of beer, hog roast and a live band :D

Oh and a Morris traveller to cart us around in!

8 hours ago, forteh said:

We didn't do speeches, or a first dance, or toasting, or cake cutting (forgot) or a seating plan, or a sit down meal.

We did however have tables full of cake, kegs full of cider, barrels full of wine, roll top bath full of beer, hog roast and a live band :D

Oh and a Morris traveller to cart us around in!

That sounds like a winner wedding. I'd like to skip all those parts too, but I'm pretty Sheryl will marry someone else if I suggest it.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 0:14 PM, Tom Booth said:

Smashed my wedding speech in 2 takes, 3 minutes long, destroys my at that time brother in law and thanks everyone for coming.

What more do you need!

I did mine 11am wedding day morning after a whisky. 

I didn’t have one written. Thank everyone for coming, thank the groomsmen for getting you drunk, tell the bridesmaids they look lovely, tell your wife she’s awesome, sit down, get drunk. 

Later, stab the cake. 

There's a pub behind the venue so they'll be a session in there before hand, so should be quite a fun time speech haha.

Spoke to a mate last night and he said "Yeah, they're good to do but I think anything longer then 10 minutes is abit much..."

10 minutes! Balls to that.

Had my suit tailor made by a guy in Lincoln, came on Saturday and looks the nuts, fits like a glove and is generally just awesome. 2 weeks on Saturday!

I've had a really good couple of months...

Invited onto the solidworks 2019 uk beta programme and found significant bugs.

Had a 15% payrise out of the blue.

MD agreed to buy me the finite element stress analysis package for solidworks so can value engineer things properly and make things better!

Got 5.5k back on ppi claims.

Bought the wife a 2200 quid cargo bike for 1100, cheaper than learning to drive and running a car. Went and collected it borrowing a van from work for nowt.

Cars exhaust flexi was blowing, about 30 months ago I had the original ford one (which was welded to the manifold and split) replaced by MIJ exhausts in Walsall for 115 quid walk in walk out jobbie which was reasonable I thought.  Two weeks later the hanger bracket they welded on snaps and takes the flexi with it, take it back in and they weld a new one in no problems with a stronger bracket; all is well and it goes through the next two MoTs.  About 18 months ago it started rattling again and blowing from the flexi, as it was outside of the 12 month warranty I left it to see if it was flagged on last years MoT which it wasn't.  It's gotten progressively worse over the last 12 months, car sounds like a loud tractor, is obviously blowing, bottom end torque dropped off dramatically and fuel economy plummeted by a good 10-15 mpg so I figured I would take it back and stump up the 100 odd quid to replace it again.  Book the afternoon off work and got it in, manager takes a look at it, personally replaces flexi with new along with a new flange, gasket and slip joint. Does it all FoC as a warranty repair, despite it being almost 3 years since they did the first one, top notch service!  Engine is now more responsive, quieter, smoother and mpg is back up in the 50s :)

Need to get a dog crate to transport bilbo in the car, he outgrew his old one (not that it would have helped any in a crash because it was just a wire mesh one), I designed one to be fabricated out of polypropylene and handed it over to the fabricator we use at work to quote me a price, unfortunately he's snowed under so hasn't gotten round to it.  Just out of random curiousity I checked ebay for tranzk9 boxes (they're top spec, last longer than your car bit of kit) and there was one to suit the s-max with 2 hours left on the auction and only 40 minute drive away.  Won the bid with 200 quid, they're close to 400 new :o

Booked in to see the midwife tomorrow morning ;)

Must be a bunch of good karma all come at once :D

43 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

Nice run of luck there dude!

Surprised the exhaust place sorted that out so far down the road (pun intended) and 15% pay rise is massive - we tend to get 1.5 - 3% a year.

Oh I had 2% at christmas as well but that's a company wide thing :)

To be fair I've been underpaid for what I do for years so it's nice to get some recognition, I guess I should be on another 5k or so but it's a start!

I went for a job elsewhere, got the offer, then told the office gossip, knowing it would get back to the director. He gave me a hefty payrise to make sure I stayed.

It was my own fault really, I asked for Hastings wages in Bath, before I knew how fooking expensive Bristol is in comparison to Hastings.

• Like 1