The Happy Thread

Duncy H

7 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

I was intrigued, so Googled this to see what it was. If I didn't know you had expensive taste in bikes I'm not sure I'd know which you were going for...

sulcata.thumb.png.e72618da53a77951f71914e05fbae34d.png

Those bike's are way outside of my budget so it had to be the reptile!

6 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

Enjoy no garden if it's the shelled variety..

We're going to build it an outdoor enclosure 13'x3', brick base 12-18" deep to start with, caged over the top with wire mesh, removable polycarb infill panels so we can make it a hothouse if need be (with alternative kingspann insulated panels for winter).  A heated insulated shelter at one end with UV, ambient and basking spot.

Going to be filled with soil for burrows and seeded for appropriate foodstuffs.  When the weather is warm enough it will be able to have free roam of the garden (largely slabbed, concrete and sleepers so no major damageable items), all of the flowerbeds are already fenced off because Bilbo is a 37kg idiot of a labrador with a penchant for eating stuff he shouldn't*, just got to ensure that any plants accessible are sulcata suitable; will help keep the weeds from growing through the patio :D

He** is two about 2 years old and around 7" long, Persephone is adamant that he's going to be called Nelson, not entire sure why but it is impossible to argue with three year olds :)

*rose bushes, tomato plants, sundews, ferns, strawberries, loganberries, sleepers, rocks, concrete, astroturf, poo, screwdrivers, woodscrews, dogbeds, grass, mud, slate, building sand, toddlers plates, cellophane, gaffatape, zipties, wood, foam floor mats and fake leading on the french windows....

**Mrs wife thinks it's a he due to a slightly concave plastron but too early to tell for sure.

My leopards have a totally flat plastron and both sexed as females, male concave is usually really noticeable. I never understand the comments referring they usually can't be sexed till 6 or 7 years old, it's pretty obvious after 18 months .

In a 13x3 he will be very restless. My leopards now live outdoors 24/7 with a heated 6x6 shed and a 60x10ft run and they stomp that all day pretty much non stop. They're a little bit bigger then him but not much, one is 10" and the other is 7", with all the grazing they can get.

If I were you I'd try to catch the back end of summer and grow some grasses/hay quickly. My leopards were on a grass/weed diet and it was good and convenient, but they're totally different animals on a mostly grass diet now. The growth is so much quicker and smoother. My oldest put on nearly a kilo in 6 months recently just through grazing.

We bought a bag of mixed grass seeds on eBay and noticed the buffalo grass grows in anything, winter or red hot summer so we littered the run last year and it just about survives with their grazing.

Good idea on the hot box section. We used some polycarbonate and some hinges with a thermostatic prop from a greenhouse to help regulate a hot box for ours, on the coldest of days aslong as the sun's out it'll get to 22* in there, then on the hottest days the thermo prop opens up and let's the warm air flow out so never gets hotter then 25*ish.

I'd love a sulcata but I don't think I could cope with a 3ft long tortoise tearing round my garden tunnelling haha.

• Like 1

He'll have the run of the garden when it's warm enough, we may extend the width of the enclosure towards the hot shed end to increase the living area as technically we could go almost across the width of the house.

Will play it by ear as he grows, already got some grasses growing and will try to get a good set of beds seeded for food. Being desert torts I don't think they normally subsist purely on grass, a huge amount of fibre though.

He's got an indoor temporary setup so will be a house tort for a while. I may well be picking your brains about the hot shed!

• 2 weeks later...

Well since we're on the subject, I'd like to introduce the newest member of the Rainbird Clan:

ella1.thumb.png.0767aa9f325635512e69c88f1de77dd0.png

Ella Hazel Rainbird, born 02/09/2018 @ 1544 weighing 3,500g on the dot (how's that for precision engineering, Westlake?). Both Ella and Soph are doing really well, and I'm unbelievably proud of them both.

I thought that I'd get at least a few weeks where I wasn't the baldest member of the gang - turns out I was wrong from the off :lol:

• Like 2