The Happy Thread

Duncy H

I just got fed up of being spoke to like a piece of crap really. It's a belief on both sides of the argument. Evidence can be interpreted differently you lot seem to choose to just accept that people from the past were basically robots and just worked hard all day long because they were told to do so.

I could find a lost city a mile under the sea and because we only have the evidence we have at the minute you lot would come up with some theory about how it was all possible given enough time effort and man hours.

Anyway since this is the Happy Thread I'm happy that YouTube exists and I can watch all the crazy videos I like.

• Like 2

There were plenty of people showing you support of some, if not all, of your points.

I gave a sarcastic reply, which is clearly out of character, and Dannananananackkroyd was a bit blunt but it seemed like everyone else was just stating their side of the debate. I don’t get how that’s being spoken to “like a piece of crap” and not just “not instantly changing incumbent world view” but ok.

I think there were a lot of people in that thread who don’t deserve to be under the “you lot” banner that a couple of us probably deserve more, and would have continued the debate with you if you changed tact slightly - like showing evidence rather than asking questions that were thinly veiled versions of “hey, how are you so stupid for NOT believing this?”

1 hour ago, Al_Fel said:

I just got fed up of being spoke to like a piece of crap really. It's a belief on both sides of the argument. Evidence can be interpreted differently you lot seem to choose to just accept that people from the past were basically robots and just worked hard all day long because they were told to do so.

I could find a lost city a mile under the sea and because we only have the evidence we have at the minute you lot would come up with some theory about how it was all possible given enough time effort and man hours.

They were, that's generally how slavery worked. Work, work, work and work some more until the jobs done and if you die or step out of line in the mean time your in for it.

I dont see your argument with theorizing based on the evidence we have now, that's how discovery works, based in the information we have right now as that's all we can do. I'm not saying it gives anyone the right or permission to belittle anyone elses beliefs but it's pretty impossible to argue with hard facts. 

21 minutes ago, JD™ said:

There were plenty of people showing you support of some, if not all, of your points.

I gave a sarcastic reply, which is clearly out of character, and Dannananananackkroyd was a bit blunt but it seemed like everyone else was just stating their side of the debate. I don’t get how that’s being spoken to “like a piece of crap” and not just “not instantly changing incumbent world view” but ok.

I think there were a lot of people in that thread who don’t deserve to be under the “you lot” banner that a couple of us probably deserve more, and would have continued the debate with you if you changed tact slightly - like showing evidence rather than asking questions that were thinly veiled versions of “hey, how are you so stupid for NOT believing this?”

I'd just like to point out that this is just a subject I'm interested in and find "Highly compelling" I'm not an archaeologist, scientist, engineer, geologist or even university educated for that matter. It feels like you want me to provide peer reviewed evidence of "LOST" ancient technology, well I can't do that because its been lost. The only evidence I can show is what's been made with this supposed lost technology. I personally think its extremely unlikely that it was just perseverance and the will of someone with power. I don't even think its possible to make or move a lot of the blocks/structures found with the tools we have evidence for. There's no evidence showing that they (Egyptians etc) did build a lot of these structures around the world but there's evidence of them doing other tasks that would match their own abilities.

If people could bare in mind that I'm just a normal person and not an expert on any of this then I'm sure things will go a lot more smoothly.

1 hour ago, JD™ said:

I don’t want anything. You posted the thread, not me. 

That's what I'm talking about. Any need for the attitude? It was a generalisation I wasn't aiming it at anyone in particular.

I apologised for my frustration in the other thread, I accept not everyone shares the same beliefs I do but I don't appreciate my thoughts and opinions being just written off and not taken seriously.

It's all got way out of hand and I'm sure if it was a discussion in person things would have gone a lot better. Either way it can carry on in the new thread if anyone is interested. I've picked my toys back up and put them in the pram.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al_Fel said:

I'd just like to point out that this is just a subject I'm interested in and find "Highly compelling" I'm not an archaeologist, scientist, engineer, geologist or even university educated for that matter. It feels like you want me to provide peer reviewed evidence of "LOST" ancient technology, well I can't do that because its been lost. The only evidence I can show is what's been made with this supposed lost technology. I personally think its extremely unlikely that it was just perseverance and the will of someone with power. I don't even think its possible to make or move a lot of the blocks/structures found with the tools we have evidence for. There's no evidence showing that they (Egyptians etc) did build a lot of these structures around the world but there's evidence of them doing other tasks that would match their own abilities.

If people could bare in mind that I'm just a normal person and not an expert on any of this then I'm sure things will go a lot more smoothly.

See, the problem with that is that if the Egyptians (or indeed any preceding civilisations) did have machines, engines, cranes, diamond tipped tungsten carbide tools etc. then there would be evidence of it somewhere. Stuff like that would've outlasted the tools etc. we have found. I completely agree that there are fairly major gaps in our understanding of exactly how these things came about but the only evidence that exists points to the current thinking of a lot of slaves working until they died with some very clever lateral thinking on the part of the architects/engineers of the time.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, forteh said:

New album is rather stonking :)

I'll confess I've never been more than an occasional casual listener of theirs - enjoyed the sound but would never single them out in a "What bands do you like?" conversation - but I got very little from it compared to the older ones.
I've skipped a few out since the last one I heard though, so I was wondering if you might think it's a kind of thing you need leading into gradually as their sound changed over the years/albums?
Like high BB - go straight from +20 stocks to the +70 HiFi and everyone hates it, but if you nudge it up by 10mm each year, people love it because it wasn't a shock to what they expect Slipknot to sound like.

Or do I just not like it? :lol: 

I never really listened to much of their stuff after slipknot back in 2001ish (I was at uni) despite it coming back onto my cycle on quite a regular basis.  I had never even listened to iowa till last month :o

I tend to listen to a new album on repeat, each time brings out more melodies/riffs/breaks/vocals, if I enjoy it then it might be on rotation for days at a time.

As such I can't really say what I like about it compared to their previous stuff but I like the brutality of it, the emotion, passion and different layers of the sound. I don't know if I've become desensitised from listening to too much anaal nathrakh but slipknot just isn't that heavy and is pretty easy going :)

Also tools new album is out today :D

Wow. I went totally the other way.
Gave it a couple of times through and just felt it didn't have the "grit factor" and was a bit soft/lacking, which was the reason it didn't work for me - in my head that's what they were about.
Interesting difference of perspective that it rang harder for you than the older ones (I understand still not actually "hard" though).

I wouldn't say that it was particularly harder, it's a different sound to slipknot and more polished than iowa.  Slipknot was riding the forefront wave of (heavy) nu-metal, iowa was raw and angrier, we are not your kind feels tighter if that makes sense.

Fear innoculum is pretty good so far, I would expect at least 20 runs through till I the nuances all emerge. I don't seem to tire of tool/apc/puscifer though, Maynards writing and lyrics are something rather special imho.

edit: one part of we are not your kind that really clicks with me is the layering towards the end of solway firth, you get the overriding riff and bassline but with the hihat(?) tapping away with the xylophone melody.  I dont think that sort of composition was much of a feature in the earlier work and to me shows a maturity of writing to produce a different texture compared to the rrraaawwwrrghghhdhhghh  (sonic wall) of the earlier stuff :)

Edited by forteh

To be honest the Gray chapter is 100% my favourite album, I think that is in pretty much every way the most complete they've ever sounded to me.

Like some songs you can tell Corey has something to say, so they build a song around it, or Jim has some ideas for the bridge an chorus so they work it out from there, but Gray chapter just seems such a group effort and tight to me.

Think We are not your kind has alot of aspects of that, an there is some really good musicianship on there but it'll always stand out because of Unsainted and Nero Forte.

As a whole though I don't think they've ever produced anything you really can say is bad, it's just growing an developing with age I think, there is loads more rhythm starting to come out in these past 2 albums, an less like tribal drum driving bangers. 

Wait and bleed, Left behind and Eyeless will always have a place for me though, they are just anthems.

• Like 1