The Happy Thread

Duncy H

• 2 weeks later...

I've wanted to make a good ol' fashioned trials bike riding video for a while now, at least something a bit more than a clip show. I had a solid weekend of managing to go riding for a few hours both days and actually managed to get a fair amount of clips I'm reasonably happy with. I feel like it's been lame since youtube started copyrighting songs but I'll do something with these clips yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My dad passed away from a pulmonary embolison on 21st October, he had been suffering the downwards spiral of Alzheimer's for that last 10 years and had been in a care home for the last 4 months of his life.  His short term memory was shot to hell but he still had his faculties and the old him would still surface regularly.  To go out instantly, with no pain or knowledge of it was absolutley the best possible outcome he could have had :)

It was his funeral yesterday and I learnt some pretty awesome stuff about him: -

He met my mum whilst racing his Vincent, he had put an advert out in the Vincent owners club for a race mechanic and my uncle Richard volunteered (he worked in aerospace and built parts of the hubble telescope).  My mum obviously tagged along with her older brother and one thing led to another :D

When he 12 he was a chorister growing up in south london, he was on the roster to sing in westminster abbey at the Queen's coronation in 1953 but got struck down with chickenpox the day before! My mum has his attendance certificate (although he wasn't there) and his original annotated musical score book.

His maternal grandfather was one E H (Teddy) Parker who captained the Camp Hill rugby team for 17 seasons straight and scored their first ever try as a club aged 17.  The annual Aston Old Eds vs Camp Hill derby is called the Teddy Parker Cup in his name :)

Edited by forteh
  • Like 4

Sorry to hear of your old mans passing. Alzheimer’s is an awful thing. 

My nan, bless her, suffered quite servere Alzheimer’s/Dementia in her last few years, she too was in a care home for the last 6 months of her life. Still quite mobile/had her senses about her and was still physically able for her age but couldn’t remember who any of us were. She tried to and you could see she the recollection was in there somewhere. It was awful to see such a lovely woman completely lost. She passed peacefully in her sleep about 6/7 years ago which is the best way we could have “hoped” for. I miss her dearly. 

• 2 weeks later...