The Happy Thread

Duncy H

Saw a girl split part of her neck open by crashing into a bench along Embankment yesterday, got to call an ambulance and everything. The girl seemed surprinsingly fine given how hard she smacked into it, I was pretty worried at first because she managed to break the wood of the bench and it looked like she'd impaled herself for a second.

The happiness for me is that, after all this working from home, at least I have a tale for my team's virtual coffee morning.

Didn't it used to be The Trials Forum too (or have I made that up...)?

On a similar note, I was just thinking back to when things changed on here and people go mad.

I remember I changed the title of the thread "Post photos of your car" to "The Car Thread"  and I had a lot of angry messages! :D

On 09/04/2021 at 10:52 AM, J.KYDD said:

Bought one of these:

baristaexpress-32-768x669.jpg

It's amazing. Now spending far too much time learning how to properly use it and pretending I'm a barista 

I’ve been considering one of these for quite a while, been waiting to jump on any that come on sale. The black one looks great but they’re not easily available in Canada unfortunately.

Any tips or considerations you’ve learnt from your machine?

21 hours ago, Duncy H said:

Any tips or considerations you’ve learnt from your machine?

It's a VERY popular machine and almost every coffee Youtube channel has done a tutorial/tips video on it, but I've found there is also a great deal of bullshit banded around. 
By far the most useful and straightforward is by this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0g8umpINGQ&t=463s 

He's done a load of vids and they're all real good. There is SO much information out there about espresso it's a proper minefield to a new starter. 
I'd 100% recommend a good set of scales and the distributor/tamp tool. Also, order some beans direct from a local/decent independent roasters and they'll give you some good advice for what dose/grind setting is best for what they're providing you

On 09/04/2021 at 6:52 PM, J.KYDD said:

Bought one of these:

baristaexpress-32-768x669.jpg

It's amazing. Now spending far too much time learning how to properly use it and pretending I'm a barista 

A mate of mine had one of these delivered, it ground one cup's worth of beans and then the grinder refused to work, would just whizz away like the burs weren't connected to the motor, amazon replaced it, the second one did exactly the same. She asked me to go round and take a look, the mechanism to open up the grinder for cleaning is terrible, it wouldn't unscrew no matter how hard i tried. 

I was pretty disappointed as I had been eyeing one of these up, especially as our old pour-over machine blew up at the weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Clark’s outlet village place near Glastonbury. Wasn’t really there to buy just as chauffeur, but ended up with 2 pairs of vans and two northface jackets for £100 total. Result. 
It was also kinda nice to go to high street shops after so long.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, bikeperson45 said:

Buying one kayak is like buying one shoe, I'm afraid. 

An inflateable kayak was my first 'proper paycheck' purchase. Used to love listening to an audiobook and floating around, until one day when it got punctured and I had to manically paddle back to land. 

Well it's a good job I bought another one as well :D

The jackson is big (2.6m), I'm the lighter end of the weight range for it but it was cheap and by all accounts handles really well for a big boat, I'll be using it initially but when Reuben (the stepson) gets bigger (he's 11 and I expect him to do this in the next 2 years) he will be able to use it a bit easier.  As a smaller option I picked up a dragorossi stinger for not a lot of cash, currently at the father in laws as it was local to him near Hereford and he went to collect it; it's a 1.9m long river running playboat so hopefully a little easier for the smaller kids to throw around.

Paid 300 for the jackson with airbags, wetsuit, splashcag, PFD and a werner carbon/glass sherpa paddle and 123 for the dragorossi with a spraydeck :)

166.jpeg

Edited by forteh
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...