The Happy Thread

Duncy H

Ordered a pair of rims from a potentially dodgy website (but they were cheap enough to not worry me) and the journey around the world is hilarious. 

I can't quite understand how the cheapest shipping option takes the parcel on the furthest journey, surely that costs more? 

So far after originating in China it flew over to Miami and is now currently in Puerto Rico with an expected delivery date of this Thursday. 

Looking forward to catching covid from it if and when it finally arrives, intrigued to see if they're still straight and round when they land :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Congratulations! It's a great feeling having your own place! We rented for a good 4 years while I was doing my EngD before buying and it was so weird being able to do stuff to the place without first having to think about speaking to a landlord!

Cheers! Yeah I can't wait - the place we're buying is freshly kitted out, so not much to do in the short term :)

Just ploughing through all the emails and phone calls now, just started really and it's already a crazy amount of things done!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, isitafox said:

Wet weather means rain which means floods which means no trains running which means I can sit at work eating cake and drinking tea and "not" watching Guy Martin shows on Channel 4 (Y)

To be fair there's not much that doesn't mean no trains is there? Leaves, snow, rain, wind, strikes, animals, mechanical problems, track works etc. etc... ;)

• Like 1

On 18/01/2021 at 8:42 PM, MadManMike said:

Cheers! Yeah I can't wait - the place we're buying is freshly kitted out, so not much to do in the short term :)

Just ploughing through all the emails and phone calls now, just started really and it's already a crazy amount of things done!

That's ace dude. We've just received our contracts for our house move with a simultaneous exchange/completion date of Feb 5th currently the plan.

You hoping to have it all done & dusted by end of March?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J.KYDD said:

That's ace dude. We've just received our contracts for our house move with a simultaneous exchange/completion date of Feb 5th currently the plan.

You hoping to have it all done & dusted by end of March?

Hoping, yes, but realistically it's not gonna happen - the seller of the house our sellers are moving to don't have anywhere yet. Apparently the searches are taking 8-9 weeks too, so even without that chain it would be a very tight squeeze.

We're moving to Wales, so we have to pay land tax (Welsh equivalent of stamp duty), but it doubles after 31st March... It'll cost us an extra £2500 basically, which we've factored in already, so if it happens before 31/3 it's a nice bonus :)

Everything is going smoothly so far, just gotta wait 4 or 5 days for the mortgage decision then we can tell solicitors and surveyors to go full steam ahead.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2021 at 9:46 AM, isitafox said:

Ordered a pair of rims from a potentially dodgy website (but they were cheap enough to not worry me) and the journey around the world is hilarious. 

I can't quite understand how the cheapest shipping option takes the parcel on the furthest journey, surely that costs more? 

So far after originating in China it flew over to Miami and is now currently in Puerto Rico with an expected delivery date of this Thursday. 

Looking forward to catching covid from it if and when it finally arrives, intrigued to see if they're still straight and round when they land :lol:

Ah well the well travelled wheel dream has come to an end by the looks of it. 

The tracking number shows that they're (or whatever is actually in the package) out for delivery on the Isle of St Thomas in the British Virgin Islands. 

So they almost got the country right :lol:

On the plus side I put a claim in through PayPal and they refunded me within 5 minutes! 

55 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

Apparently the searches are taking 8-9 weeks too

We got warned of that too, but ours came back within 2 weeks! I think at the very start of the stamp duty freeze there was a sudden rush to buy/sell, and loads of companies would have been adjusting to working from home at the same time so I reckon that might have been what caused the initial backlog. But I guess the longer its all gone on everyone's got their shit together again. Fingers crossed it all runs smoothly for you man. House buying can be a stressful old time

3 hours ago, J.KYDD said:

We got warned of that too, but ours came back within 2 weeks! I think at the very start of the stamp duty freeze there was a sudden rush to buy/sell, and loads of companies would have been adjusting to working from home at the same time so I reckon that might have been what caused the initial backlog. But I guess the longer its all gone on everyone's got their shit together again. Fingers crossed it all runs smoothly for you man. House buying can be a stressful old time

We're still very early on in the process and it's already stressful haha - it'll be worth it in the end though, I really can't wait. I've been caged in a 2 bed top floor flat for a year whilst working from home and it's not done wonders for the mental state...

Three bed house with a decent garden is the dream. Well, you know, the realistic dream :)

Had another call from our solicitors today and its looking positive for the 5th! Super exited but now just that horrible wait hoping nothing goes wrong and nobody in the chain gets covid or asked to self-isolate as that will f**k things over. 

All being well, should be here in 2 weeks :D

5f92b8d1db7ae-dsc9597.jpg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, J.KYDD said:

Had another call from our solicitors today and its looking positive for the 5th! Super exited but now just that horrible wait hoping nothing goes wrong and nobody in the chain gets covid or asked to self-isolate as that will f**k things over. 

All being well, should be here in 2 weeks :D

Those are some epic trees in the garden!

Good luck dude, hope all goes well.

I've finished all the paperwork tonight, booked the surveyor too... We've reached the 'sit back and wait' phase, which I'm sure will be super frustrating. 

This is becoming mortgage-forum.co.uk :lol:

• Like 1

We're currently looking to take out an equity loan so we can build an extension across the back of the house, current outstanding mortgages are 240 and 35 quid a month on a 1% base rate tracker and less than 40k left to repay so we figured we can get some more space in the house* :)
At the same time we're going to get the windows replaced and get the wiring checked and renewed if need be, should add another 20-30k on the property once done and almost triple the original purchase price, not bad for a house I paid 62k for :D

*3** bed mid terrace ex council house is quite cramped for 6 of us especially when 3 of the kids are full time homeschooling!

**really only a 2.5 bed house as one is a 6x8 box room!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forteh said:

current outstanding mortgages are 240 and 35 quid a month

Just lol! We're currently around £1700 per month (£950 mortgage plus £750 per month overpayments). Should knock it on the head in 3 years which would mean we're paid up in 13 years which isn't bad going I don't think (£168k original mortgage on a £198k property).

• Like 2

Loooooolllll at both of you -

140k to go and another 20 ish years to go :lol: taking out 5k to send the kid to nursery didn’t help either... still our £600 a month is almost half of what the rent would be on a similar place so not all bad and value is going to be up nearer to 400k from 185k now (which is mental)

• Like 2

Yeah, I did buy it in 2002 though! Even though I'm sole earner in the house and I'm probably about 10k below where I should be we're sitting quite comfortably :)

If and when we move somewhere else, this house will rent for 800 a month all day long so will earn it's cost back and turn a tidy profit.

• Like 2

I’m just waiting on my accountant to get my taxes finished and then I can send my figures off to the mortgage advisor.

pretty nervous as I don’t earn much and neither does Jane (especially with the recent lockdowns) and we’re both self employed with average credit ratings (I’ve never had a credit card, loan or any finance other than my phone...annoyingly saving up to actually afford stuff has bitten me in the arse).

The last mortgage advisor who we gave some really rough figures to said it’d be a stretch to get a 60k mortgage. That’s pretty depressing as that really means we could only afford to live in some pretty shitty areas and in a small house, a real downgrade from what I’m in now. 

The good news is my parents said they’d help me with some money towards a deposit so we’ll see how that effects things...I guess getting on the property ladder no matter how shitty will help for future mortgages so it might be a case of sucking it up and taking a less than ideal place and look towards moving again when we can.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Ali C said:

(I’ve never had a credit card, loan or any finance other than my phone...annoyingly saving up to actually afford stuff has bitten me in the arse).

This really pissed me off when getting my first mortgage too! Hope you manage to get something :D

• Like 1