The Happy Thread

Duncy H

It is interesting how consistently badly we do at major tournaments compared to how often our domestic teams win in Europe. 

I enjoyed the tournament, was disappointed by a lot of the team selections, and pretty disappointed we lost on pens again. But it’s not like we were the better team. It’s nowhere near the hurt of ‘96 :lol:

6 hours ago, manuel said:

It is interesting how consistently badly we do at major tournaments compared to how often our domestic teams win in Europe. 

Problem is the Premier League aren't interested in English Players. Out of a squad of 25 only 8 need to be "homegrown" which doesn't even mean English it just means they need to spend at least 3 years at an English club before they turn 21 (and they can be brought over when they turn 16).

Of those 8 they don't have to field any so could potentially play a fully foreign squad. 

If you look at somewhere like Spain they have a rule that limits the number of non EU players in the squad to 5 and only 3 of those can be named in the team at any one time so more Spanish Nationals get to play. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/05/2021 at 10:18 PM, bikeperson45 said:

Buying one kayak is like buying one shoe, I'm afraid. 

An inflateable kayak was my first 'proper paycheck' purchase. Used to love listening to an audiobook and floating around, until one day when it got punctured and I had to manically paddle back to land. 

You're a jinx, there's three of the fecking things now, picked up a jackson fun1.5 the other week for Persephone because she's decided that she wants to have a go as well :D

• 3 weeks later...

First camp out in the van went just about perfectly :)

Went down to the gone wild festival near Exmouth (a bit of a shambles organisation wise and some major failings on other fronts - it was the first one though) but weather has been scorching and we had a great time. Walked about 13km a day with the kids just trolling around the site, exhausted, aching* and sunburnt.

Van was spot on, slight hammock issue dumping children out on the first night because it was hung a bit twisted but sorted for following nights. Other than that it was a brilliant home base and provided everything we needed for 5 of us (me, wife and kids 11, 6 and 2).

*trying max number of pull-ups at the royal marine commando display yielded in 11 at self weight of 75kg and 4 with Aneurin strapped to my back to give 90kg total. Also doing a 2.5km running obstacle race carrying a 25kg child that doesn't want to do the running :D

PXL_20210827_071948237.jpg

PXL_20210828_170649589.jpg

PXL_20210826_140324992.jpg

Edited by forteh
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

after 10 months of not having Wifi I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Virgin package.

Just in case anyone here was thinking of doing the same I have a referral code where we'd both get £80.... http://aklam.io/s0XVRu

Can't wait to be able to actually upload videos in a realistic time rather than the intermittent 4G I get here 

Been running with the HMRC help to save scheme for the last two years, essentially you can pay in up to 50 quid a month for two years, then they will give you a cash bonus of 50% of what you've paid in. The scheme then runs for another two years at which point you get the whole pot back plus your 50% cash bonus.

After the maximum term you get the saved amount back of 2400 + the second cash bonus which equates to quite a nice tidy sum. Both me and the wife have been running it as our household income is below the threshold (I'm sole earner and underpaid).

I had my first bonus paid back the other month so I upgraded my VR headset to an HP reverb G2, it's a lovely bit of kit, much clearer than my old Lenovo (which was pretty good to be fair) and it's cost me absolutely nothing :D

Edited by forteh

Finally found someone that knew a welder that was willing to give welding the motorcycle forks a go (and surprisingly charged nothing!). Just when I had already given up on thinking that I'd find anyone. :)

I think it looks decent, but what do I know - the lighting makes it look horrible. Also, please don't ask exactly how it was welded, I believe the crack was cut out and then filled.

Anyway... I now have questions regarding painting.

Some time I read that either one of the two methods cracks when the material below cracks, which would be a plus in this case, but I don't remember which it was? I assume powder coating creates a, uh, coat that would not crack and rattle can paint is the way to go here?

Suggestions and/or thoughts?

tagging @forteh & @Adam@TartyBikes as you guys gave me some help back when it was in the angry thread half a year ago. :)

IMG_20211105_124941.jpg

Edited by Topsy

That would be an idea, but would entail massive issues with MOT because Switzerland. If it's visible that something structural has been welded it won't pass. I was told that I technically wouldn't have been allowed to have them retubed either, but that's not something they can see.

I could simply strip it again after MOT and respray when it's due again..

Apparently from the govt point of view it's better to use 80+ year old tubes that possibly are crusty internally than exchange them.. :rolleyes:

Since May I’ve been using my phone data as my sole source of internet, this includes uploading my vlogs (some were 30 min+ 4K!), my last video took almost 24 hours to upload due to poor connection speeds :( 

Today I had broadband fitted, finally some decent Wi-Fi and an Ethernet cable for my office, this will make life so much easier!! :D 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ali C said:

Since May I’ve been using my phone data as my sole source of internet, this includes uploading my vlogs (some were 30 min+ 4K!), my last video took almost 24 hours to upload due to poor connection speeds :( 

Today I had broadband fitted, finally some decent Wi-Fi and an Ethernet cable for my office, this will make life so much easier!! :D 

Sounds utterly painful Ali, bad enough for us on home broadband (albeit rural and normally at the 11th hour as we're no good at Youtubing). Must be a hell of a step up :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bagged an RTX3070 gpu for MSRP rather than the 200% price gouging going on with anyone trying to make a quick buck and making the buying market intolerable for the people who want a gpu for the intended use of playing games.

Entire uk stock of founders edition cards was out of stock within minutes :(

Super pleased I've managed to grab one though, will make flying and driving in VR much prettier :)

You can only buy the founders edition cards from scan as they're nvidias fullfillment partner for the UK, been watching the telegram alert bots for a couple of weeks now; just a case of when the stock alerts come out get one ordered immediately.  I hit the buy button within 20 seconds of the notification and the 3070s were sold out by the time I put my card details in.  Plenty of them about on facebook or ebay but scalpers are asking 900+ for a founders edition, the MSRP of them is 469 :(

The founders editions don't have the low hash rate gubbins in them which means that they mine crypto at higher rates than all the other cards, unfortunately it's scalpers buying the cards cheap and then flogging them at 100% markup to cryptominers who will think nothing of throwing a grand at a gpu.

I could immediately make almost 300 quid profit by selling it to cex, but I want the card not the cash :D

Edited by forteh

Highlight of my morning so far, watching a lad in a RWD Jag trying to get off his driveway/sideroad.

Kept getting a decent run up then stopping just before the junction so he couldn't get started again. After about half an hour of trying the exact same routine he gave up and parked back up :lol:

• Like 2

So the 3070 GPU is awesome, not so awesome is my vr headset has decided it doesn't like connecting to the USB ports on my machine any more. Known fault with HP and they've been replacing them under warranty with a new version, fingers crossed I can get one otherwise it's 135 quid for the updated V2.

On the happy side my old gtx1070 is currently bidding up to 315 quid on eBay, granted I'll have to be paying close to 40 quid sellers fees but I only paid 200 for it three years ago :biggrin:

Apart from the cable failing it was looking to be a very cheap GPU upgrade!

Edited by forteh